Lt. Commander
# 221
01-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Interesting that I came across this post because I noticed when first playing STO that my GPU fan kicked into high gear and my temps skyrocketed far higher than any game I have played before such as (Fallout 3, Crysis Warhead, Sins of a Solar Empire). I hope the stress on my GPU is necessary and not just from inefficient programming.
Lt. Commander
# 222
01-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Luckily I have fan speed control for my whole case so my 120mm fans help keep the case temp reasonable at full throttle with this game. But I'm just surprised this game is much different than all the rest.
Lt. Commander
# 223 Sizzlin'
01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Quick word of warning to anyone planning on playing the game with any of the vapur-x 4870s Sapphire are spitting out, since the RAMDACs are entirely unshielded, this game will get the damn things so thermonuclear hot they'll reboot your system. (That was with an Antec 300 case and enough high-power casefans to move a small shed.)
Lt. Commander
# 224
01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
I have a Saphire HD4870 but it has a large, deep fan, shroud with copper heat pipes but does is not entirely closed in. My temp under load gets up to 80 C in this game but I checked reviews that test load temps for this card and 80 C normal under load for this particular model.
Lt. Commander
# 225
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallaballa
And how do you set the fps to what you'd like Fadde???
/maxfps is the command line in game. So, you should type '/maxfps 70', or whatever your screen refresh rate is.

It does seem there is no internal throttle for 3D settings kicking in for some video cards, so some cards, like mine, attempt to pump out as many FPS as the card is capable of, costantly running at 100% capacity, resulting in heat problems and eventual under-clocking as the card begins to reach it's heat limit (I was getting over 150 fps, which shouldn't be allowed since anything over the refresh rate is wasted and contributes to heat). While my card shouldn't be damaged by running at 100% max constantly, it's also not a very efficient use of my GPU.
Lt. Commander
# 226
01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
i found that using /maxfps 75 or whatnot would cause crashes ,, but annyways enabling v-sync should drop the stress/temperaure on the GPU considerably

my GPU fan speed went from 3000 to 2000 RPM annyways
Lt. Commander
# 227
01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
All through OB i had crashes with my nvidia 8800GTX, friends with same cards and drivers didnt. My case runs cool in every other game and so i started using the /maxfps 30 and i had almost no crashes from then on. Those saying oh your pc sucks etc etc to people no way my pc should run some of my other games max settings for hours and hours and STO kills it in 30sec.

I broke down and bought a new Radeon 5850 HD card, plugged it in. No crashes with the latest drivers no cooling issues. Changed nothing in my pc except the card only. And those saying software cant dmg hardware are incorrect, if a program manages to overheat or stress a component it can very easily dmg them.

BTW i examined my old card closesly, its fan was still 100% after using it for year + of serious gaming. Something is wrong with STO for something to bypass the fan safty on the card. If you arent having the problem or posting a serious solution for fokes to follow dont post.
Lt. Commander
# 228
01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
OB burned out my 8800GTX. Currently using a 7900 GTX until my 275 GTX arrives. In the meantime the 7900 GTX idles at 31C and the login screen alone makes the heat rise to 44C. Tell me there isnt a heat problem caused by something related to this game.
I can run COD4 on the 7900 and barely reach 39C during actual game play.

Yes I have Rivatuner running the fans a 100%.
Lt. Commander
# 229
01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
All through OB i had crashes with my nvidia 8800GTX, friends with same cards and drivers didnt. My case runs cool in every other game and so i started using the /maxfps 30 and i had almost no crashes from then on. Those saying oh your pc sucks etc etc to people no way my pc should run some of my other games max settings for hours and hours and STO kills it in 30sec.

I broke down and bought a new Radeon 5850 HD card, plugged it in. No crashes with the latest drivers no cooling issues. Changed nothing in my pc except the card only. And those saying software cant dmg hardware are incorrect, if a program manages to overheat or stress a component it can very easily dmg them.

BTW i examined my old card closesly, its fan was still 100% after using it for year + of serious gaming. Something is wrong with STO for something to bypass the fan safty on the card. If you arent having the problem or posting a serious solution for fokes to follow dont post.
STO is generating the heat and CPU use equivalent to running 5-8 instances of WoW at 30-60fps per instance.

I'm running on an NP9280 Core i7 Extreme 3.3ghz, 6GB ram, NV280 1gb, Intel SSD (for game files), so what's the silver bullet to keep my system from catching on fire? Does anyone have an NV profile they can share that forces STO to Play Nice(tm)?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 230
01-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Sure seems like a lot of the people with heating issues are having them with NVidia cards. But seeing as I pull those cards out of more machines daily I guess it's not surprising.
Closed Thread