Lt. Commander
# 231
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Hmmm just came across this thread but it makes sense of what i have been noticing.
my van speed is going though the roof when i run this game as i can now see many ppl's is.the crazy thing is i have been stuck at the login screen for about an hour now and it is still running my cpu temp aroud 38 degrees.
shut down from the login!! screen and i have dropped back to 34..................that can't be right and has to be a programing fault from cryptic.
Don't want to be billing someone for a new system so this is prolly the most urgent problem sto has atm imho.What in your software is grabbing so much of my cpu to stress it on a login screen? And if i get this problem with nothing else, as i see many ppl are saying then i have to conclude it is a problem with STO.

please look into this urgently.
Lt. Commander
# 232
01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatormonk View Post
OB burned out my 8800GTX. Currently using a 7900 GTX until my 275 GTX arrives. In the meantime the 7900 GTX idles at 31C and the login screen alone makes the heat rise to 44C. Tell me there isnt a heat problem caused by something related to this game.
I can run COD4 on the 7900 and barely reach 39C during actual game play.

Yes I have Rivatuner running the fans a 100%.
The Login screen uses no less than 3% CPU, spikes to 5%. Quad Core 3.3GHZ, NV280.. No matter what I set in graphics options it results in the same CPU use. This means (surprise!) than the Game itself (who knows which part) likes to use CPU it shouldn't need. E.g. what on earth is STO doing during Login?

I could attach a debugger, but I'm sure that's against policy. So I'm at the mercy of Cryptic to fix it. I mean, it's one thing to say "the latest greatest in games requires a lot of horespower" but, face it, graphics are set so low it looks like a late 90s game, and at 800x600 windowed it eats the same amount of CPU, generates the same amount of heat. Surely one STOs software engineers or Product managers can pause a moment and consider that there's something seriously wrong, and that only an idiot would believe this is to be expected of any commericial game with a 60$ price tag and a fat service fee to boot.
Lt. Commander
# 233
01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.E.Wilson
STO is generating the heat and CPU use equivalent to running 5-8 instances of WoW at 30-60fps per instance.

I'm running on an NP9280 Core i7 Extreme 3.3ghz, 6GB ram, NV280 1gb, Intel SSD (for game files), so what's the silver bullet to keep my system from catching on fire? Does anyone have an NV profile they can share that forces STO to Play Nice(tm)?

Thanks!
Only thing i found that helped was /maxfps and if you can manually set your fan speed up on your gpu. Not sure why it bypasses the default fan speed-to-heat on our gpus and why only on some peoples cards and not on others.

I can say that my Saphire Radeon 5850 HD is working for me, but ive seen others post that their ATI 5850's are over heating so there is a serious element of randomness to this all. All i can say is it totally sucks when it happens to you, i know it fustrated the hell out of me. PS buying a new card might not help or may make it worse.

Cryptic just needs to put a framerate slider into the video options and let people manually force their games to follow what they set it to. Vsynce and dynamic lighting etc never helped me.
Lt. Commander
# 234
01-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
Only thing i found that helped was /maxfps and if you can manually set your fan speed up on your gpu. Not sure why it bypasses the default fan speed-to-heat on our gpus and why only on some peoples cards and not on others.

I can say that my Saphire Radeon 5850 HD is working for me, but ive seen others post that their ATI 5850's are over heating so there is a serious element of randomness to this all. All i can say is it totally sucks when it happens to you, i know it fustrated the hell out of me. PS buying a new card might not help or may make it worse.

Cryptic just needs to put a framerate slider into the video options and let people manually force their games to follow what they set it to. Vsynce and dynamic lighting etc never helped me.
I set the NV control panel settings to something you could describe as "worse gaming experience possible" and i have zero GPU heat issues, CPU is still running hot though.

I have one suggestion about the video settings UI, and only one, move the anisotropic filtering option just eblow the anti-aliasing option. I'm one of those people that push their gfx settings to max, because we're arrogant about our hardware, and then trim back any settings that look unnecessary for a fulfilling experience. The two I kill in every game? AA and Aniso. I don't notice them, don't need them, but completely overlooked the default 16x aniso setting (I didn't think there was one!)

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 235
01-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badonkee View Post
I played beta for about 2 weeks. After beta, inanticipation of launch I moved my computer to a much cooler location (Downstairs next to a window) cleaned the case, and the 3 fans on my case. Put my daughter down for a nap at around 11:30am pst. Played for about 3 or so hours and my game crashed about 3 times, then my video card died. In normal mode everything lookslike boxes and i cant do anything. In safe mode i have to shut down the display adapter. Now i can use my computer with 5 sets of blue lines on my screen.

I've read the issues people had and attempted to keep my machine cool by doing everything other than change my FPS ingame. I got too eager to play and did not change my ingame video options at all.

Now what do i do? I tried to reinstall the drivers but nothing.

The errors that came up when the computer restarted stated "windows is shutting down to not cause further damage to the system," and this is because "there was an infinite loop in one of my Niv files". Reinstal the video drivers and contact the manufacturer if the problem persists.

My system is as follows; AMD 64 x2 dual core 4400+ WinXP Pro, Geforce 8800 GTS, 2 gig ram.
This was me yesterday. Called up a friend and took his old failed 8800 and baked it in the oven at 385 degrees for 8 minutes. Threw it in my comp and it works. My 8800 is still awaiting a warranty inquiry on monday morning.

I barely believe anything thats going on in these forums. Can software kill hardware? Can you bake computer components till they work again?

I don't know all the answers, I just want to relax and play my new game.
Lt. Commander
# 236
01-31-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallaballa
And how do you set the fps to what you'd like Fadde???
/maxfps(space) then # between 30-60
Lt. Commander
I demand action from Cryptic!!!
Why don't you even say a single word about this concern. Can't you see that loads of your buyers are experiencing game ruining experiences due to bad programming..
Please at least give us a hint that you are working on the problem, if you keep giving absolutely no response at all to your customers people will put your game in the bin and give it up.

I think launch have not been worse than other MMO's I've experienced, but the communication towards your customers I must say have shocked me...There is no communication.
Lt. Commander
# 238
01-31-2010, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Prophet- View Post
If its new then RMA it.

Since its not Cryptics fault and all. Its the manufacturers fault.

Your video card should be able to run at 100% load 24/7 with no issues.

Its like blaming a pot hole for your car running out of gas.
its not his card its the game a solution has been found and tested. At this point saying its cooling or something is like refusing to believe the world is round. I know people want a successful launch but not telling people the truth just so they play the game is wrong to me. If cryptic has a problem they should man up and just admit it before more people lose their rigs.

When the heating issue first came it was still possible but now the evidence is overwhelming. Cryptic needs to admit they made a big boo-boo and just quickly patch it. I can tell you that many people are experiencing this but arent aware of it because they dont know how to check if their card is "redlining"

As computer users we shouldnt tell people its cooling or whatever just because we dont want to believe STO may be badly bugged. Refusing to see the truth doesnt change the fact it is the truth. Someone got me banned for ranting about heat being cryptic and proving someone wrong but in the end i was right. They banned Galileo from public eye for 30yrs just because they discovered he was right. Some people cant accept being wrong at any cost. Im not angry at cryptic or being banned; since in the end inded i was correct but i would like to see them fix the problem before launch.
Lt. Commander
# 239
01-31-2010, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Prophet- View Post
That doesnt change anything.

The nVidia 280GTX was RMA'd in the hundreds of thousands because they overheated too much. nVidia even acknowledged the problem.
if it was it would have happened before STO on much more resource heavy game. The point is mute anyway in the end it was the game and a fix has been found in-game by typing /maxfps(space) then a # between 30-60 for your preferred FPS. Its not v-sync that was already on directly in my card as well as the game.

Cryptic has a huge gaping performance hole here lets hope they fix it soon. Although i can play it would be nice if i didnt have to type the /maxfps command every time i log in. Sometimes i will forget and it steadily climbs to over 100 celsius. Luckily if i forget i hear the fan kicj on and i quickly realize whats going on and do the command.

Its the game not peoples cooling. Is it possible 1% may be cooling issues; yes but not the other 99% who posted tried this and it fixed their problem. We cant let our want of a good launch and a solid player base distract from the fact something is really wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 240
01-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arconaeus
i found that using /maxfps 75 or whatnot would cause crashes ,, but annyways enabling v-sync should drop the stress/temperaure on the GPU considerably

my GPU fan speed went from 3000 to 2000 RPM annyways
not me or anyone of the over 100+ guildies in OTG playing STO has had an issue using /maxfps command but i usually set mine to 60 not 75
Closed Thread