Lt. Commander
# 451
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
One last thing... if you are experience Video Lag and are running 2 video cards in SLI (have no clue about ATI crossfire though). Make sure you download and install SLI software each time you update your video drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_...update_v4.html

or if you use EVGA

http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

not sure about other nVidia GPU manufacturers.

Always check for SLI profile / enhancement updates or reinstall after each driver update.

And once again, for all those who are overheating there GPUs... its not the code. Its cause your running the game with VSync turned off.
Lt. Commander
# 452
02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Don't see what the big deal is, now while my card may be a bit older than most of yours and come from an age where in order to go fast you had to be warm and toasty. Your newer card should at the very least be able to handle standard running temperatures of a 3 year old card right, least one would think. Now my 2900XT generally idles at 65 and runs at 90+ all the while the fan only runs at about 50-60%. Only time I've heard it go over that was, no not playing this game, but rather playing eve online. By then the temperatures were at 95-105s and the fan still would only blow at about 80%. Only time I've heard it at 100% was by manually setting it at 100%, though it's not something you'd like to hear. But these days your cores are smaller and for the most part draws less wattage, surely you can stand at least 80 degrees without melting down.
Lt. Commander
# 453
02-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintri View Post
Don't see what the big deal is, now while my card may be a bit older than most of yours and come from an age where in order to go fast you had to be warm and toasty. Your newer card should at the very least be able to handle standard running temperatures of a 3 year old card right, least one would think. Now my 2900XT generally idles at 65 and runs at 90+ all the while the fan only runs at about 50-60%. Only time I've heard it go over that was, no not playing this game, but rather playing eve online. By then the temperatures were at 95-105s and the fan still would only blow at about 80%. Only time I've heard it at 100% was by manually setting it at 100%, though it's not something you'd like to hear. But these days your cores are smaller and for the most part draws less wattage, surely you can stand at least 80 degrees without melting down.
Wow, your card is cooking, my 9800GTX+ idles around 50c and since I've cleaned out my system of excessive dust, I'm getting around 60-65c under stress.
Lt. Commander
# 454
02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm using this on the default high settings and have had no problems with overheating, or any significant graphical glitches. To boot, this card is passively cooled. Granted, my tower has sufficient airflow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143169
Lt. Commander
# 455
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFO_KillSwitch View Post
go to OPTIONS then click on vido then clcik on advanced then click on trubel shooting . then slide the slide bare down again. then you should see an options that will say reduce cpu/gpu usage turn it on . and then set your fps to 60 try that

Ok will also do that when I get home. Thanx.
Lt. Commander
# 456 My card
02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
I am overheating somewhat as well.

ATI 3850 - 512meg , in a Macpro. It is running under bootcamp in Win7.
I have the Mac fans cranking but my game will still crash to blackscreen
Lt. Commander
# 457
02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
They didn't admit anything, nor do they need to. They gave you people with overheating PCs an option to reduce GPU usage and a default limit FPS option because of the people complaining about it. They went out of their way to help those when it's not Cryptic's problem. That's meant to help people with overheating PCs, but it doesn't magically solve problems with a GPU that overheats at full load.

As for a response from Cryptic, don't hold your breath. It's not their issue, it's yours. Thousands of others run your card and STO without any overheating issues. Why? Because it's still the fault of your own PC and/or video card. You're blaming software developers for hardware issues.
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
# 458
02-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
The code for STO can really stress your video card because it will use your GPU to process more than LOTRO, COD4, and other titles. This may be due to it actually doing more in the client or just bloated code that runs more processes than it needs to run.

70C for a 9800 GTX is fine. I'd worry if you hit 80+C. If you have the stock cooler, you probably idle at 40C temps. I used to run 8800 GTX cards and 70C is no big deal, even for years. I now run a GTX 295 Co-Op and I hit 60C temps in exploration clusters and 50C temps in regular space, as my GPUs are being worked quite a bit.

STO, just like Furmark or another GPU stress/torture software, will really put your cooling to the test. Turn down your settings, limit your FPS, and/or improve your cooling.
LOL yeah STO is super powerful. In fact according to a dev its the most powerful game on the market and that is the cause of overheating. Seriously at least wheen you stick to high road trolling about cooling you can sound almost believable but asking ppl to doubt their own eyes annd system specs is not going to happen.

Dude i really wonder if you work for cryptic sometimes because there is no way sto is so powerful its not even DX!). And what about its required and recommended system specs it told its customers if its so powerful? So basically the specs are they listed are not true and u need a 4000 dollar rig to play?

No it was STO not peoples rigs. Let this go man they fixed the issue anyway and i still believe more graphical optimization is on the way.

People have the right to know the truth so they didnt lose their rigs like some unfourtunate players and you should respect that. After all you wouldnt want to lose your computer.

Now lets stop with the cooling posts cipher its a mute issue.
Lt. Commander
# 459
02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxJustice
I am overheating somewhat as well.

ATI 3850 - 512meg , in a Macpro. It is running under bootcamp in Win7.
I have the Mac fans cranking but my game will still crash to blackscreen
Have you tried using the in-game frame limit option under Graphics options and the Troubleshooting header at the bottom? If that doesn't work, have you done anything for cooling in your Mac? Fans, clean out dust, organize cables, etc.?

Also, what temps are you seeing for the card? You can use ATI's Catalyst tool to check. I'd also run Furmark (free stress test) and see what you get with your card.
Lt. Commander
# 460
02-27-2010, 05:23 AM
How hot does the temperature needs to be on a computer before it's considered to start overheating anyways? When I play STO, it goes from 109 degrees F (42c) to around 117 - 119 degrees F (47c - 48c) and that's with graphics settings maxed out.
Closed Thread