Lt. Commander
# 471
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
There's the rub: the latest drivers fix problems with stuttering in ground combat in STO, let alone many other things since 182.xx version drivers. There is almost always a good reason to update video drivers, even if it's just for added performance.
Agreed. You have weigh the benefits to upgrading which is far different than what some do ... upgrade just because its newer.

Now, I never had a problem with the 182 drivers at all. Some might have a different experience. At the same time, some may be just fine with the new drivers. Many times its not an individual program causing problems but instead its a combo of programs/drivers/fixes that don't work well together. I deal with this everyday and no matter how you build machines, there is always a "gotcha" in there somewhere.

It used to be that gamers were the best techies around. You simply had to be because back in the day in order to run a game you had to make some intense changes. While its nowhere near as bad as it used to be ... remember having to spec expanded vs extended RAM on the fly? (just showed my age) ... it can still be tricky sometimes.

I always test things myself just to make sure and prepare a way to backtrack just in case. I strongly suggest everyone else do the same if for nothing more than to save what works now.

If nothing else, a person with little experience in tech matters can get a crash course in a game like this. Learning something is never a bad idea.
Lt. Commander
# 472
03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolatileSeeker
keep in mind folks it's $39.95
mine was free piret bay
Lt. Commander
# 473
03-14-2010, 05:31 AM
insane overheating here.. I just loaded up my ATI catalyst thing and it said my GPU temp was 100c O_O

what the heck?! I've even got the GPU fan to run at 30% manually rather than let it auto-adjust the fan because it never seems to take it above 20% no matter what temperature it is.
Lt. Commander
# 474
03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
what the heck?! I've even got the GPU fan to run at 30% manually rather than let it auto-adjust the fan because it never seems to take it above 20% no matter what temperature it is.
Your video card fan is wayyyyy toooooo sloooowww. 20-30%? Sounds like your card's firmware isn't adjusting the fan properly. If your GPU is running at 100C that fan should be at 100%. Set it manually to 60-80% and see what temps you get.
Lt. Commander
# 475
03-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Your video card fan is wayyyyy toooooo sloooowww. 20-30%? Sounds like your card's firmware isn't adjusting the fan properly. If your GPU is running at 100C that fan should be at 100%. Set it manually to 60-80% and see what temps you get.
if I set my fan speed to higher than 35% it sounds like a wind turbine, literally, it is VERY loud, that's just how these high end cards fans are, they are running fast even when the speed % "SEEMS" low.

if I put it to auto, the speed doesn't go above 22%, so I leave it manually at 35%.

STO is the only game which causes it to run so high.. it's ridiculousm what is wrong with the game?
Lt. Commander
# 476
03-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, but people running nVidia cards should NOT use the 196.75 drivers! Known issues with fan control causing high temps - not specific to STO. If you're running that version, drop back to 196.21 ASAP.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
http://www.nvidia.com/object/196.75_...r_support.html

Update: nVidia just released new drivers: version 197.13 resolves the fan speed issue.
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/03/...n_speed_issue/
Lt. Commander
# 477
03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
if I set my fan speed to higher than 35% it sounds like a wind turbine, literally, it is VERY loud, that's just how these high end cards fans are, they are running fast even when the speed % "SEEMS" low.

if I put it to auto, the speed doesn't go above 22%, so I leave it manually at 35%.

STO is the only game which causes it to run so high.. it's ridiculousm what is wrong with the game?
I'm not sure what model you have, but I've had these top end cards at one point or another...
  • GTX 295 Co-Op, I run at 70% when gaming and it's not loud (not quiet, but easily drowned out when I play games and have my music running). 100% is loud. 40% is minimum and start-speed for auto. 40% is quiet when using my PC for work or other tasks.
  • GTX 285 SC, I ran at 60-65% when gaming and it's not loud, same as GTX 295. Actually, the 285's fan was a touch quieter at 60% than my GTX 295.
  • GTX 285 SC with aftermarket AC Accelero cooler that uses open air flow and three fans. I could set that cooler to 100% fan speed and it was super quiet.
  • 8800 GTX, I ran two of them at auto speed for years. Sure enough, one of them died after 1.5 years of auto speed with high temps in other games. Lifetime warranty, so EVGA replaced it for free. I now have them on my second PC and run the fans at 80% when gaming (ie: dual boxing in other MMOs, etc.). At 80% they're as quiet as my GTX 285 at 60%. And I could run 100% on those 8800 GTX cards without being annoying like other coolers.

Yes, you ca run top-end cards at higher fan speeds without it being too loud. But it also depends on what's "too loud" for each individual. I am very sensitive to it since I have my PC on my desk instead of on the floor. I don't even like my 120mm Scythe S-Flex fans to run at 100% voltage (or pulse), so I use a fan controller and have them around 7 - 10 volts each all the time.

So, on one hand you have your overheating GPU and the other hand you have an annoying loud (to you) cooler and (I assume) no overheating GPU? Either you learn to live with it, get an aftermarket cooler that's much quieter, or switch cards. Point is, 20-30% fan speed of ANY cooler is too slow when your GPU is hitting 100C temps. Your issues, you choose how you want to fix it. I gave only advice and options I know about.
Lt. Commander
# 478
03-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I don't think you quite understand what I mean when I say it sounds like a wind turbine. It is literally like a hairdryer in your PC, i'm not just talking about a few decibels. this is just how the cooling on these cards is. This isn't about being sensetive to a bit of fan noise. I've got 7 fans in my PC including the GPU fan, I know what fan noise is.

The fact of the matter is I can run games such as CoD4 on max settings and the temp won't go over 70c, but STO just runs it up to 100, now I recall during / shortly after beta a lot of people were complaining that STO melted their cards (broke them) and was causing overheating issues (and there's even this large topic on the issue)) that the problem is not just my setup, but the game.

Edit: here, I found a video of my graphics card on youtube where someone changes the fan speed to 100%, you can see what I mean by wind turbine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehABp48vA1k

So yeah, like I said, 30% or so fan speed for this card is adequate cooling, except for STO it seems.
Lt. Commander
# 479
03-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
I don't think you quite understand what I mean when I say it sounds like a wind turbine. It is literally like a hairdryer in your PC, i'm not just talking about a few decibels. this is just how the cooling on these cards is.
BTW, you might enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdExkuvGySE

Quote:
This isn't about being sensetive to a bit of fan noise. I've got 7 fans in my PC including the GPU fan, I know what fan noise is.
I have five 120mm fans and two 80mm fans in my PC for a total of seven too. I have many fans so that i can turn their voltage/pulse down to make my PC quiet overall. You only need insane fan quantities to reduce noise levels (sounds ironic, I know), as fewer fans = need to spin them faster to achieve the same airflow.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is I can run games such as CoD4 on max settings and the temp won't go over 70c, but STO just runs it up to 100, now I recall during / shortly after beta a lot of people were complaining that STO melted their cards (broke them) and was causing overheating issues (and there's even this large topic on the issue)) that the problem is not just my setup, but the game.
Just a reminder: nothing in the game can control how hot your cards get. There is no "bug" or oversight in the game code that causes GPUs to overheat. Only DirectX and your video card drivers can control how much processing is thrown at your GPU. If your GPU is overheating with playing STO, then that's a failure on your end (in this case running 20% fan speed when a GPU is at 100C). Your GPU has built in thermal limits that shut down the GPU at a specific temperature threshold. Even then, I wouldn't want to run my GPU at 100C as that's bound to shorten its life.

It does not matter if games X, Y, or Z run with your GPU at cooler temps. STO just requires more GPU processing. But it's not because it's pretty or advanced; it's most likely due to bulky, bloated rendering code that has yet to be streamlined. Even with that fault on STO, heat management is on your end. In software you can limit the framerate yourself, but ultimately the source of your problem is running a 100C GPU at 20-30% fan. That's the key problem. Your auto fan sensor/firmware isn't working correctly. It's as simple as that.

Quote:
Edit: here, I found a video of my graphics card on youtube where someone changes the fan speed to 100%, you can see what I mean by wind turbine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehABp48vA1k
And what does that have to do with STO? You selected and opted to run those cards, no one else. Didn't you read reviews of how hot they can get? The high-end spectrum of the ATI 4000 series does run fairly hot. I run a GTX 295 without that kind of awful fan noise. I'd recommend going up to the 5000 series, such as 5850s, 5870s, or a 5970. Otherwise I'd run your fans manually at 60-70% and see what GPU temps you get.

Again, it's not STO's fault.
Lt. Commander
# 480
03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
but ultimately the source of your problem is running a 100C GPU at 20-30% fan. That's the key problem. Your auto fan sensor/firmware isn't working correctly. It's as simple as that.
again.. you fail to understand that % is a value in proportion relation to a whole, 35% speed in one thing is not the same as 35% in another.

35% speed on these cards is running the fans at like 3000 RPM, which would be 120% fan speed on another card.

you can't expect your users to cool their graphics cards with liquid nitrogen, there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and the FACT is, STO runs graphics cards MUCH hotter than any other game, no doubt due to poor code.

I'm not posting here for any kind of armchair-engineer help from you or anyone else because I know what the problem is and I know the only way to solve it is for cryptic to fix their game.
Closed Thread