Lt. Commander
# 531
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I know I've said this in a different thread but I've seen way too many people put their computers in areas with bad ventilation. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people put their computers in small enclosed spaces to try to save space. YOU NEED GOOD AIRFLOW AROUND THE COMPUTER CASE!!! At least 6 inches on all sides except the side that is the 'bottom'.

Another thing that can effect it is dust. Buy a dust can and for goodness sake blow out the inside of your computer. DO NOT USE A VACUUM! IT CAN RUIN YOUR COMPUTER!
Lt. Commander
# 532
04-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooso View Post
I know I've said this in a different thread but I've seen way too many people put their computers in areas with bad ventilation. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people put their computers in small enclosed spaces to try to save space. YOU NEED GOOD AIRFLOW AROUND THE COMPUTER CASE!!! At least 6 inches on all sides except the side that is the 'bottom'.

Another thing that can effect it is dust. Buy a dust can and for goodness sake blow out the inside of your computer. DO NOT USE A VACUUM! IT CAN RUIN YOUR COMPUTER!
My Video Card fried like an egg 2 days ago.

My repair place called and told me the laptop was filled with DUST!

I shudda cleaned it sooner.. oh well, let's see if they can fix it and if I can resume playing...
Lt. Commander
# 533
04-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlarbo View Post
My repair place called and told me the laptop was filled with DUST! I shudda cleaned it sooner..
You should post that in the other thread where you implied it was the game that killed your card.
Lt. Commander
# 534
04-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Krieger
You should post that in the other thread where you implied it was the game that killed your card.
Nice catch.

Schlarbo, I'm glad at least they found the issue and are fixing it for you. Laptop GPUs are run at even hotter temps than desktop GPUs, so even without dust build up their lifespans are usually shorter than desktop cards if you're gaming. Only way around the shorter lifespan is to either not game or purchase a laptop specifically designed for gaming. Even then, cooling is always an uphill battle with laptops.
Lt. Commander
# 535
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Nice catch.

Schlarbo, I'm glad at least they found the issue and are fixing it for you. Laptop GPUs are run at even hotter temps than desktop GPUs, so even without dust build up their lifespans are usually shorter than desktop cards if you're gaming. Only way around the shorter lifespan is to either not game or purchase a laptop specifically designed for gaming. Even then, cooling is always an uphill battle with laptops.
Too true. If you're going to be playing primarily from a laptop, I suggest buying one of those laptop cooling pads to help disipate the heat better. They don't cost a terrible amount of money and I think it's better to spend about $25 on one of these rather than paying for a possible $300+ repair.
Lt. Commander
# 536
04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
They don't cost a terrible amount of money and I think it's better to spend about $25 on one of these rather than paying for a possible $300+ repair.
Yup, a good investment.
Lt. Commander
# 537
04-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:

Yeah, this is so sad but true. Most people have no clue how to take proper care of their hardware and then are surprised when it breaks down.

I just spent an extended weekend over at a friend's place and instead of playing on the laptop I decided to install the game on one of the spare desktop PC's, figuring it would be more playable.

I turned down some of the graphics settings to reduce the strain, but even so it still felt extremely unsafe to play it on that machine. The PC specs weren't that bad, but it was a pre-built machine and the case didn't look to have any extra cooling aside from the bare minimum. It was also stowed away in a corner, surrounded by all sorts of junk and the heat exhaust was almost flat up against the wall.

Also that PC had never been properly cleaned out in about a year and a half, so I can only imagine how much dust there had to be in the case. When I ran CCleaner to free up some space it removed several gigabytes worth of crap. On a 150gb harddrive that was actually a sizeable chunk of the free space.

It really pains me when I see things like that, but unfortunately it's how most people treat their PC, like it's just another piece of electronics like a TV or a DVD player. Instead a PC is more like a car - every once in a while it needs to be washed and serviced, otherwise it'll go all rusty or break down.
Lt. Commander
# 538
04-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarinth
Yeah, this is so sad but true. Most people have no clue how to take proper care of their hardware and then are surprised when it breaks down.
Yes, it is sad.

What makes things difficult is that there are some decently tech-savvy people complaining about overheating. I'm sure they know a decent amount about building a PC, but with confidence comes unwarranted pride. And they won't listen to tech reason since they think their PC builds are infallible. They'll be suffering the most for the longest time until they convince themselves to troubleshoot.
Lt. Commander
# 539
04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Yes, it is sad.

What makes things difficult is that there are some decently tech-savvy people complaining about overheating. I'm sure they know a decent amount about building a PC, but with confidence comes unwarranted pride. And they won't listen to tech reason since they think their PC builds are infallible. They'll be suffering the most for the longest time until they convince themselves to troubleshoot.
Agreed, I've known some people who will have the most ADVANCED and BEST cooling system in their computer like water cooling and lots of fans and whatnot...and they still have thermal issues because they put their computer under their dirty clothes, in a little cupboard, etc...

Being expensive doesn't make anything better if it's not used properly.
Lt. Commander
# 540
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
yea, it so sad when we do everything the same, cleaning, cooling, putting in well ventilated areas, maintaining hardware and drivers... and yet somehow our dumb brains can't seem to do anything right...

this is a joke.

it's totally our fault that WHEN WE STARTED PLAYING THIS GAME IT WAS FINE, and now with NO SETTINGS CHANGED on our end, and after A MAJOR PATCH came down the pipe, playing THE SAME GAME, our systems ARE BEING MODERATELY/MAJORLY affected.

totally our fault, i see now that you are completely right... i should just turn this rig into a planter and play OTHELLO or SCRABBLE.. of course im such a moron i would probably overheat my board game due to playing in a poorly ventilated area, right?
Closed Thread