Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Captain
I know you're the lead artist, but I've always wondered - do you do strictly environments, buildings, etc., or do you also do stuff like item pictures, ship textures and that stuff? The thought came up earlier today when I was thinking "It would be strange if they added a taco food item to the game. I wonder if Tacofangs makes the pictures for those, it would be like drawing the death of his own species."

P.S. Not sure if it will help here, but could you ask someone to put Voporak@voporak and R'Mel N'Mev@tazurensavulen back in Beta Ursae sector block? We found a way to fly out of it and our games crash when we try to log onto our characters, who are stuck out there... thanks. On that note, you'll probably want to fix the entrance to Sirius so people can't get over the top of the wall like we did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Republic Veteran
# 2
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Quote:
P.S. Not sure if it will help here, but could you ask someone to put Voporak@voporak and R'Mel N'Mev@tazurensavulen back in Beta Ursae sector block? We found a way to fly out of it and our games crash when we try to log onto our characters, who are stuck out there... thanks. On that note, you'll probably want to fix the entrance to Sirius so people can't get over the top of the wall like we did.
Hey, I managed to go under the wall, but this would be VERY helpful as I do NOT want to delete that character after all the hard work I put into her.

[6/24 23:12] [Combat (Self)] Your Thalaron Pulse deals 126254 (48978) Radiation Damage to Tactical Cube. Hehe. Suck it Borg!
[10/8 15:47] [Combat (Self)] Crystalline Entity deals 98082 (147136) Kinetic Damage to you with Warp Core Breach. WUT? I blame Kurland for this and all other problems in STO.
Rihannsu
# 3
06-11-2013, 03:20 PM
i went over the wall, but i turned around and went back after a few minutes; was boring out there...
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 4
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Not a lead, but I am an Environment Artist.

Here's the break down of the art team:

Environment: The geometry of the map itself. Ground and Space. Anything you can run around on/in. Buildings, Props, Trees, Rocks, etc. Including Models (Geometry), Textures, Materials (how textures work with each other), Lighting, Skyfiles (what you see in the sky, and how the lighting/fog/etc. works), Simple world animations like opening doors, consoles popping up.

Characters: The Geometry, Textures, Materials for anything you can select on the ground. Player Costumes, NPCs, Mobs, etc. Things like consoles that you blow up are a combo between Character and Environment.

Ships: Geometry, Textures, Materials for anything you can select in space. Ships, obviously.

Animation: Animations for almost everything that moves. (Notable exception for simple objects like Doors, see Env above.) Skeletons/Rigs for everything that moves. This is mostly for Players/NPCs/Mobs, but some work is done for Ships and the like. This includes all emotes.

FX: All of the visuals for your ship powers. Any kind of particle system. Anything that moves but doesn't have a solid body. Smoke, Sparks, Snow, Dust, Water Splashes, Waterfalls, etc.

UI: All of the actual Hud/UI work. Includes all icons.

Concept: All of the concept art we use as a basis to create in game art. This is mostly for Characters, Ships and Environments, but could include FX or UI. Sometimes Concept dudes help UI out with icons. Sometimes we use Concept artists for in game work, like paintings that we put on walls, etc.

So, a Taco food item's icon would either be done by UI or Concept most likely.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
# 5
06-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Hmm alot of the areas of art i can do just not that great at texturing tbh but i can if i was probably paid for it lol and animations i dont do, but modeling and photoshop for effects and all sorts i could do easy.

Last edited by cptskeeteruk; 06-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I am afraid we have to limit your forum privileges until the dilithium mine maps are hooked up on tribble my dear tacofangs.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Not a lead, but I am an Environment Artist.

Here's the break down of the art team:

Environment: The geometry of the map itself. Ground and Space. Anything you can run around on/in. Buildings, Props, Trees, Rocks, etc. Including Models (Geometry), Textures, Materials (how textures work with each other), Lighting, Skyfiles (what you see in the sky, and how the lighting/fog/etc. works), Simple world animations like opening doors, consoles popping up.
Oh, so it's YOU who is responsible for fixing that big, black, "geometry issue" in Main Engineering in the Fed Ship interior? Hint hint, nudge nudge...

A reminder.

Captain
# 8
06-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightionny View Post
Oh, so it's YOU who is responsible for fixing that big, black, "geometry issue" in Main Engineering in the Fed Ship interior? Hint hint, nudge nudge...

A reminder.

That's obviously a Taconian portal. Can't you tell?

...and I'm still begging on my knees to get our characters put back within the actual sector block, a ticket got a generic non-helpful response and PWE's support (or lack of) page is not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Cryptic Studios Team
# 9
06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom01 View Post
I am afraid we have to limit your forum privileges until the dilithium mine maps are hooked up on tribble my dear tacofangs.
Hey now, my part is done on that map, anything left to do isn't environment related.

I have no control over getting your characters back onto the map, that's a CS question.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Hey now, my part is done on that map, anything left to do isn't environment related.

I have no control over getting your characters back onto the map, that's a CS question.
That's a content design hook-up. We have the situation under control.