Ensign
# 11
06-14-2013, 06:52 PM
For one, great job on Legacy of Romulus.

Second, I'm new here, so how exactly are the packs awarded?
Cryptic Studios Team
# 12
06-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Thank you for raising your concerns, Tachyon. I've spoken directly with the streaming team at Twitch and have confirmed that this upcoming stream will be friendly for all.

We welcome your feedback with open arms and will do our best to ensure that events like this are a positive experience for everyone going forward. Teaming up with Livestreamers is a new initiative for us, so I do acknowledge that we will have many lessons to learn in regards to ensuring that our collaborative efforts reflect the same values that we hold as a company. Please feel free to continue sharing your feedback and thoughts regarding these partnerships, as we are committed to making ongoing improvements to this process based on the voice of our community. As I'm sure you know, Star Trek is all about the value of diversity and this is something we wholeheartedly believe in as a team. Thank you again for your contribution!
Survivor of Remus
# 13
06-14-2013, 11:42 PM
While I appreciate the team looking into this, I have to say I find the response rather confusing.

I've shown evidence he has no problem promoting anti-gay hate speech and still Cryptic has confirmed using him to endorse the product. Presumably because he promised he wouldn't use hate-speech for the 2 hours he's playing STO?

Frankly, this makes me feel like Cryptic really doesn't care about gay people. Maybe that's a little over dramatic, but it's the only reason I can come up with in my head.

You say you don't condone hate speech in any capacity, but you use someone with a history of hate speech to promote your product. I don't even know how that's okay.

What would you say to me, as a gay person, about why you think he's a good person to represent your product?
------------------------------------------------------
I don't understand how Cryptic can use someone with a history of anti-gay hate speech to promote STO.
Disheartened member of the Romulan Refugee "faction"
Ashamed that Cryptic wouldn't follow up on thousands of posts of negative feedback.

Last edited by tachyonharmonic; 06-15-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Captain
# 14
06-15-2013, 02:31 AM
His grammar and English did strike me as atrocius too.

On the marketing side of things, I'm not sure how popular this Towelie guy is.

If he is very popular amongst gamers, then it makes sense to ask him to promote stuff, from a financial standpoint.

If a lot of people saw him playing a game and saying "Ooooh, this is good check this out fellas!" Than I'm sure some of those people may become buying customers.

And I really dont think Cryptic or PWE would let him do some bad publicity stunts by insulting homosexuals or anybody else.

So I would not worry about the guy doing anything hate-speech related.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Lieutenant
# 15
06-15-2013, 03:33 AM
@tpalelena

While I do agree in some aspect with you, that this is for marketing purposes only and the possibility of larger revenue, even if it is a small increase, I have to agree, in general thought, with concerns addressed by some of the players.
He did probably "promised" that he wouldn't say anything that would be considered as hate speech, otherwise he would not get this opportunity.
But that's only for a period of two hours and there are no guaranties that his approach to some people wouldn't continue as usual. And off coarse, I am not saying that we need that guarantee, considering that CS can't force him to do anything, and why would they.

It's simple, he apparently has some issues with gay people and gay community in this game, as well as any other ofc, don't like when other people treat them as a second class person. Any association with those kind of people, condoning something they do not understand and do not have the right to, is in direct violation of CS statement that everyone is equal - I just don't see how they can say that and still affiliate themselves with those who don't think alike.

I come from a country where people are trying to change the constitution of the state so that it is said that marriage is only and exclusively between a man and a woman. So if I don't condone that and affiliate myself with those people I, in essence, support their claims. Which I don't so I don't associate with them in any way or form.
It is the same here, no debate needed. And if any arises there are just excuses, nothing more, and nothing good will come from it.

One example is needed. When those people that I mentioned, who are trying to change the constitution, approached one famous person in my country, an athletic, and asked her to support their claims, she said yes and made a video in which she stated that marriage is only between a man and a woman, it is a normal thing. She has a contract with Adidas, who condones any hate speech and accepts, on all levels, diversity of people. They are in a process of terminating their contract with that athletic, if she doesn't pull back what she said.

The same applies here, only different context. It's not needed, people will still play the game, but on some moral standpoint, it is good to postpone or choose a different live streamer.
That's all I have to say, for now.
Survivor of Remus
# 16
06-15-2013, 04:14 AM
They are essentially saying

"Yes, we know he has a history of hate speech, but that doesn't matter to us because we want to promote our product."

They implicitly approve his hate speech by using him as their spokesperson for the game.

Cryptic, you are knowingly using someone with a history of hate speech to promote your game. You are approving his past actions by making him your partner in this promotion. You are saying it's okay to use hate speech and still be part of STO. You are condoning his hate speech by giving him an important position in your product. You are telling people that to get prizes for the game, they have to go through this person who you know has bashed gays in the past.

If any other spokesperson was caught publicly bashing gays, they would be dropped immediately no questions asked.

I don't get why Cryptic isn't seeing this.

What message do you think you're sending to gay players when you say this person is okay to represent the game? "If you use hate speech, you can still promote our game, we'll still give you prizes and we'll put your name on our front page"?
------------------------------------------------------
I don't understand how Cryptic can use someone with a history of anti-gay hate speech to promote STO.
Disheartened member of the Romulan Refugee "faction"
Ashamed that Cryptic wouldn't follow up on thousands of posts of negative feedback.

Last edited by tachyonharmonic; 06-15-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
06-15-2013, 04:25 AM
You know, if anyone had asked me I would probably agree to do this stream.

I would have needed help with managing the chat and raffle away the prizes though.

Noone asked though so it's irrelevant I guess.
Captain
# 18
06-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphimghost View Post
@tpalelena

While I do agree in some aspect with you, that this is for marketing purposes only and the possibility of larger revenue, even if it is a small increase, I have to agree, in general thought, with concerns addressed by some of the players.
He did probably "promised" that he wouldn't say anything that would be considered as hate speech, otherwise he would not get this opportunity.
But that's only for a period of two hours and there are no guaranties that his approach to some people wouldn't continue as usual. And off coarse, I am not saying that we need that guarantee, considering that CS can't force him to do anything, and why would they.

It's simple, he apparently has some issues with gay people and gay community in this game, as well as any other ofc, don't like when other people treat them as a second class person. Any association with those kind of people, condoning something they do not understand and do not have the right to, is in direct violation of CS statement that everyone is equal - I just don't see how they can say that and still affiliate themselves with those who don't think alike.

I come from a country where people are trying to change the constitution of the state so that it is said that marriage is only and exclusively between a man and a woman. So if I don't condone that and affiliate myself with those people I, in essence, support their claims. Which I don't so I don't associate with them in any way or form.
It is the same here, no debate needed. And if any arises there are just excuses, nothing more, and nothing good will come from it.

One example is needed. When those people that I mentioned, who are trying to change the constitution, approached one famous person in my country, an athletic, and asked her to support their claims, she said yes and made a video in which she stated that marriage is only between a man and a woman, it is a normal thing. She has a contract with Adidas, who condones any hate speech and accepts, on all levels, diversity of people. They are in a process of terminating their contract with that athletic, if she doesn't pull back what she said.

The same applies here, only different context. It's not needed, people will still play the game, but on some moral standpoint, it is good to postpone or choose a different live streamer.
That's all I have to say, for now.
I dont like persecuting homosexuals for their sexual choices, but I also dislike persecuting heterosexuals for their own views. Its just as bad.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-15-2013, 05:14 AM
Pwe its a Chinese company, we all know that china isn't one of the most liberal country on the planet don't we? Just google what the chinese governamet (pls note that i wrote the government and not the ppl) think of homosexual ppl and the way they are treated over there... and make your own mind about that...
What its left to do?
Well you shouldn't feel ashamed if you are going to take part to the event anyway... just remember this... one day you will find yourself (or someone close to you) trappend in some minority group (too tall or too short or too pale or too much out of conformity)....

What will I do?
I will not take part at the event and I'll post on my blog an invite to do the same to my friends and fleet mates!

Why?
I want to make a minority out of the ppl complaining about other minority groups!

Just FYI I'm straight and I've got a family I may not be the most clever person on the planet but I know this much: Live peacefully and leave the other to do the same and you'll have a smooth ride to wherever you are going to! Its just Intellectual honesty...

BTW just becouse THIS event will be friendly for all it doesn't justify a thing...
If hitler would have had organized a free beer day open and friendly to all do you really think Churchill and patton would have attended?

English its not my language so before complaining try to write a post in Italian!
and while we are on the subject ... this post its not a flame or an attempt at trolling...
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
06-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zix74itaelite View Post
Pwe its a Chinese company, we all know that china isn't one of the most liberal country on the planet don't we? Just google what the chinese governamet (pls note that i wrote the government and not the ppl) think of homosexual ppl and the way they are treated over there... and make your own mind about that...
What its left to do?
Well you shouldn't feel ashamed if you are going to take part to the event anyway... just remember this... one day you will find yourself (or someone close to you) trappend in some minority group (too tall or too short or too pale or too much out of conformity)....

What will I do?
I will not take part at the event and I'll post on my blog an invite to do the same to my friends and fleet mates!

Why?
I want to make a minority out of the ppl complaining about other minority groups!

Just FYI I'm straight and I've got a family I may not be the most clever person on the planet but I know this much: Live peacefully and leave the other to do the same and you'll have a smooth ride to wherever you are going to! Its just Intellectual honesty...

BTW just becouse THIS event will be friendly for all it doesn't justify a thing...
If hitler would have had organized a free beer day open and friendly to all do you really think Churchill and patton would have attended?

English its not my language so before complaining try to write a post in Italian!
and while we are on the subject ... this post its not a flame or an attempt at trolling...

This is one of the wisest and humble posts I've read on this forum I think, kudos.
Closed Thread