Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 171
# 81
11-11-2013, 08:42 AM
If Eta Carinae went nova sometime in the past 300 years then I'm sure it'll be reflected in STO Season 799 due to be released in 2313

Meanwhile, we just gotta muddle along

In that direction the data dumps I've been taking from the SIMBAD database have been working out really well. I'm working on meshing the edges of the old database with a slightly overlapping slice of SIMBAD data so I get a good known parallax boundary to continue more directed dumps from. Previously I had been using SIMBAD for verifying each individual star,etc. referenced in the other Db, as a kind of double check...now I wish I had just skipped that step and pulled from SIMBAD direct for the first 100LY since I've discovered their direct query download method where I can pretty much copy and paste most everything but the RAh/RAm/Dec direct into the STO RL Sector Maps wood chipper.

Combine that with the way I sort the info now by X,Y and it makes plopping stars in sectors and finding/referencing locations much faster then when I started this.

I've also almost nailed down the first three TNG season locations (season 1 and 2 are 99%, season 3 about 80% done) and that is working out kinda nice as I am seeing a rough seasonal pattern to the 1701-D's deployments (with one or two episode exceptions each of the first three seasons does seem to want to naturally "congregate" across what would be a Sector Block or two worth of space...which is kinda cool )
Real Sector Maps - Online Atlas - for Star Trek/STO
Foundry Missions:
Scepter of Minos * Grapok in the Generals Lung * The Sky Above, The Clouds Below * Legend of the Inspector General (16+) * Miridoor (41+) * Survival Must Be Earned (a Klingon Romeo and Juliet story)

Last edited by realmalize; 11-11-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
# 82
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmalize View Post
If Eta Carinae went nova sometime in the past 300 years then I'm sure it'll be reflected in STO Season 799 due to be released in 2313
Realmalize, if the star did go nova 300 years ago (or 1713) . We wouldn't see it on earth until 8000 years after the fact (or 9713 assuming your calculation is correct and Eta Carinae is 8000 light years away). Hence it is quite probable that Eta Carinae no longer exists. So it would never exist in STO (unless your ship time traveled into 6000 BCE deep-space to check it out). That is why mapping Star trek events onto our visible galaxy makes little scientific sense. However, it makes more sense than having a galaxy that has no resemblance to our own (as our current STO map has little resemblance to the galaxy now, 8000 years ago or 300 years from now).

Last edited by qultuq; 11-11-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 200
# 83
11-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Hey realmalize,

I just noticed on the overview map that the Gariman sector has moved "north" by a block and east by a block. With three new named sector blocks added in the vicinity. I noticed mainly because I'm using Gariman as a story location for "A Bridge Too Far: Survival". The move actually works in my favor as it gave me a better reference point for finding an appropriate star system in the neighborhood that Trek has not already explored. (HIP 44894, an F2 class star.)

Thanks again for all the work you are doing on this. It may not be perfect, but it gives authors a point of reference to work from.

Last edited by donperk; 11-11-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 171
# 84
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donperk View Post
Hey realmalize,

I just noticed on the overview map that the Gariman sector has moved "north" by a block and east by a block. With three new named sector blocks added in the vicinity. I noticed mainly because I'm using Gariman as a story location for "A Bridge Too Far: Survival". The move actually works in my favor as it gave me a better reference point for finding an appropriate star system in the neighborhood that Trek has not already explored. (HIP 44894, an F2 class star.)

Thanks again for all the work you are doing on this. It may not be perfect, but it gives authors a point of reference to work from.
Hope that works out better then

yesterday afternoon I went to a kids birthday party at one of those giant pizza/game places right after coming off a weekend of flu...so after that horrific experience I spent some quiet time researching Klingon/Gorn sector names and figuring out the Gariman/Alawanir/Klacht D'Kel Bracht deal...until it dawned on me that Alawanir and Klacht D'kel Bracht could be the same thing with different names...that snapped the rest of the stuff right into position.

There was a lot of jockeying around this past week trying to get a good location for Cait within about 3 to 4-ish sectors from Ferasa (roughly similar to the Vulcan/Romulan diaspora distance) and within Fed space. With the assumption that the Klingon space location of the canon Cait location would make that Ferasa...Cait couldn't be in the Fed claims from after the Fed/Kling Alliance (this would seem to be contradictory to M'ress being in SF and Star Charts had Cait near Tholian space anyway...but way over in the Alpha Q)...since I stuck the Tholians in the Hyades Cluster (due to a very passing reference in ENT that linked Gamma Tauri to Vintaak, where the Defiant was being held...and the background logic that Vintaak in mirror universe is also vintaak in prime universe, etc. and thus likely very close to the interphase...blah, blah, etc.) ... basically this made placing Cait down in Fed space that connects to the Gamma Orionis area a logical fit. The "Mirak" sector name is a nod and a bridge to the Ferasan canon origin Kzinti...this leaves open the possibility that the Kzin/Ferasan's from TAS's "Slaver Weapon" could be another self-interested faction of Caitian/Ferasans from this sector area (esp. since "Slaver Weapon" takes place in our now established Gamma Orionis SB area.) or just the same Ferasans from up Lyncis way but not yet assimilated into the KE at the time of TAS.
Real Sector Maps - Online Atlas - for Star Trek/STO
Foundry Missions:
Scepter of Minos * Grapok in the Generals Lung * The Sky Above, The Clouds Below * Legend of the Inspector General (16+) * Miridoor (41+) * Survival Must Be Earned (a Klingon Romeo and Juliet story)

Last edited by realmalize; 11-11-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 171
# 85
11-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qultuq View Post
Realmalize, if the star did go nova 300 years ago (or 1713) . We wouldn't see it on earth until 8000 years after the fact (or 9713 assuming your calculation is correct and Eta Carinae is 8000 light years away). Hence it is quite probable that Eta Carinae no longer exists. So it would never exist in STO (unless your ship time traveled into 6000 BCE deep-space to check it out). That is why mapping Star trek events onto our visible galaxy makes little scientific sense. However, it makes more sense than having a galaxy that has no resemblance to our own (as our current STO map has little resemblance to the galaxy now, 8000 years ago or 300 years from now).
I'll rephrase my intent: "if the light of it going nova was 300 years away"

It may make little scientific sense, but in reality how else would one approach the situation asides from what is currently observable? Otherwise one may as well be a psychic

What exists in any scifi universe is beyond the knowable...if one were to accept only the unknowable reality as it exists right now, then we could not even accept the current condition of Proxima Centauri, let alone anywhere else...taken to an even higher level of extreme, 8 minutes from now we may find out our own Sun has suffered some catastrophe.

As you say, doing this is an attempt to impose a sense of reliable order to the ST fantasy setting with information as we know it now, courtesy of the hard work and nice folks at the Strasbourg astronomical Data Center.
Real Sector Maps - Online Atlas - for Star Trek/STO
Foundry Missions:
Scepter of Minos * Grapok in the Generals Lung * The Sky Above, The Clouds Below * Legend of the Inspector General (16+) * Miridoor (41+) * Survival Must Be Earned (a Klingon Romeo and Juliet story)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 171
# 86
11-19-2013, 11:48 PM
As a milestone: all the existing STO sectors have been "plopped" and the overall map is updated to reflect this.

Integration of TNG seasons about 70% complete.

The stars database has over 11,000 entries.
Real Sector Maps - Online Atlas - for Star Trek/STO
Foundry Missions:
Scepter of Minos * Grapok in the Generals Lung * The Sky Above, The Clouds Below * Legend of the Inspector General (16+) * Miridoor (41+) * Survival Must Be Earned (a Klingon Romeo and Juliet story)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41 PM.