Lt. Commander
# 11
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Your processor more than meets this games requirements. What graphics card do you have?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
and I got like 2 gig of memory or something like that lol
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
You got nothing to worry about then.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
You can also use /perFrameSleep to lower CPU/GPU usage.
Can we get a list of all commands for improving or enhancing performance?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Both of those commands actually reduce performance :-P
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel101977 View Post
why is the game using almost 95-97% of my CPU. I have a Amd Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6000+ 3.11 GHZ
so what do you think is going on?
Let me put it this way. a game taking ALL or as much of your systems resources is NORMAL. it's what games do.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Both of those commands actually reduce performance :-P
Some other useful ones, which may be easier for people to understand how to tune:
/maxfps #
/maxinactivefps #

The first sets your maximum graphical FPS. Given that most people have LCD monitors that can't physically refresh more than 60 Hz = 60 FPS, setting it to 60 shouldn't hurt anything and may help. Setting it somewhat lower has considerable cooling benefits, for relatively little visual reduction; 30 FPS is *still* smoother than watching an action movie (typically ~24p FPS) or TV (typically ~30i FPS), and can have dramatic cooling benefits (on my GTX 275, which is OK even unlimited but a bit warm, the difference between unlimited and /maxfps 30 is 8 to 11 degrees C, which on a lesser card or less well ventilated case could easily be the difference between frying and not).

The second sets the maximum graphical FPS when the game isn't the active application, e.g. when you tab out of it to get email, check the forums, etc. The game automatically sets it down somewhat, but on a slower system you may want to set it to, say, 1.

You can hopefully use the - forms in the launcher defaults; if not, could we get it added?

I'm not entirely sure how the /perframesleep # interacts with these; do the limiters use the same mechanism (60 FPS is about 16, 30 FPS about 33, etc.), or do they both kick in separately?
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miuramir
Some other useful ones, which may be easier for people to understand how to tune:
/maxfps #
/maxinactivefps #

The first sets your maximum graphical FPS. Given that most people have LCD monitors that can't physically refresh more than 60 Hz = 60 FPS, setting it to 60 shouldn't hurt anything and may help. Setting it somewhat lower has considerable cooling benefits, for relatively little visual reduction; 30 FPS is *still* smoother than watching an action movie (typically ~24p FPS) or TV (typically ~30i FPS), and can have dramatic cooling benefits (on my GTX 275, which is OK even unlimited but a bit warm, the difference between unlimited and /maxfps 30 is 8 to 11 degrees C, which on a lesser card or less well ventilated case could easily be the difference between frying and not).

The second sets the maximum graphical FPS when the game isn't the active application, e.g. when you tab out of it to get email, check the forums, etc. The game automatically sets it down somewhat, but on a slower system you may want to set it to, say, 1.

You can hopefully use the - forms in the launcher defaults; if not, could we get it added?

I'm not entirely sure how the /perframesleep # interacts with these; do the limiters use the same mechanism (60 FPS is about 16, 30 FPS about 33, etc.), or do they both kick in separately?
Knowing how our code works, they are likely entirely separate.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miuramir
30 FPS is *still* smoother than watching an action movie (typically ~24p FPS) or TV (typically ~30i FPS)
::sigh:: 24 FPS on a movie or 30 FPS on TV is not the same as 30 FPS on a computer game. The frames in movies/TV are recorded with blur which helps trick your brain into thinking there is a smooth picture. Computer graphics generally don't blur (in the same way), so higher FPS on a monitor usually looks better, at least to some folks....your milage may vary.

--Monkey
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-21-2010, 07:20 PM
can you add multiple commands to launcher? Currently I have this in there, gonna give it a try when servers come back up:
-maxfps 45 -maxinactivefps 5