As promised - here are my tiny ideas for the ASK CRYPTIC.
My intention is to combine the things, reaching the goal of a better communication and get the comm grown together.
You - the team - suggest a small number of subjects (e.g. Romulans, Fleets, development/state of the game)
at a beginning of every month. In the first 1 or 2 weeks the community (on all the platforms and languages) is
called upon to choose a single one out of your suggestions. This can be done by a poll.
To reach as many players as possible (to get the best "average" opinion) you could use next
to the forum and facebook the newsletter ingame.
Perhaps it is also possible to include a link out of the newsletter - straight to the polls/surveys?!
After that period of vote the users can ask questions to that topic. If it?s too hard to do it in 4 weeks - why not 6 weeks instead?
The important thing in that will be - like others said before - choose only questions that can be answered conrete.
You know what I mean
Now it?s gonna be a bit crazy for some of you but I still want to mention it:
What?s about a hangout/chat on Google+/Youtube? One of the team is answering questions in a livestream (e.g. 1 hour).
Of course there are a lot of other similar platforms (besides G+) to get feedback from the community and to answer their questions
Could be fun and informative for all of us within a narrow time frame.
The videos could be linked in related blogs or older ASK CRYPTICs.
I have my own experiences with it - the google-devs are doing it for example.
The community asks per chat and the devs answering per webcam.
This could be done weekly eventually?!
Please excuse my weird English - it is not my native tongue
I like the sound of all the mediums that were posted on the op. However I would also like to be able to pm a dev via forums without having to file a ticket, and have a conversation. Like if I had an idea or something I could pm it to someone and they would read it and reply to it. I've done this a couple of times and tbh I couldn't even tell if the pms had been read.
If these new mediums are accepted as wrote, I would also like to see devs answer ALL the questions instead of hand picking ones. Even if that means saying a lot of nos, maybes, or I can't talk about its, it helps with the transparency issue.
I've noticed that in addition to questions on the ask Cryptic feature, people like to use it to lump suggestions in with questions. Like for example someone would ask if there was anything in the works for x, and say well if there isn't here's a good way to do it. You have an entire fan base of the IP at your disposal I for one have watched the shows multiple times each and I'm sure many others have done a lot more. You have smart people playing this game and I think you could capitalize on it by allowing players to post ideas (obviously there would need to introduce a rule saying you can't claim any idea as your own for legal purposes) and then if it is a good idea that goes along with something the dev team is currently working on and wouldn't require massive amounts of work, then add it to the to-do list.
That would also help players feel like their ideas don't fall on deaf ears, and could be done as easily as the ask Cryptic feature, simply make another thread after the ask Cryptic called "Submit Ideas to Cryptic". Then once people have submitted ideas, go through find out what ones coincide with what you are currently working on, and figure out if they're doable or not. Then after that's done make a new thread, called Results of "Submit Ideas to Cryptic" and list them e.g.:
Idea: I would like to see the Delta Quadrant in all of it's glory.
Cryptic's Response: Well unfortunately the development of the Delta Quadrant isn't something we're currently working on, but we'll keep this in mind for when we develop it.
Idea: I would like to see another JHAS Promotion in the near future.
Cryptic's Response: What a wonderful idea, since we are currently working on the biggest update for the DOFF system since it's release, we are considering running a few promotions in addition to it.
See how simple and easy that is? Even if the idea is a bad one or simply not feasible it allows players to know that their ideas have been heard.
Last edited by tonyalmeida2; 06-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Veteran Rewards for Romulan characters
Namely would include information on:
- Day 100 Costume Piece
- Day 200 Costume Piece
- Day 400 Vanity Ship "Commander's Gig"
- Day 500 Exclusive Costume piece (Romulan)
- Day 900 Exclusive Ship Material
- Day 900 Exclusive Uniform variant
- Day 1000 Exclusive Veteran Starship (Romulan Veteran Ship)
We were told these would be coming 'as soon as possible' during Beta and yet we've not had any concrete news on them nearly a month after the LoR launch. If anything, you might do well to make the release of such material granular. Concept art reveals is also fine.
Players should be able to submit questions into a queue system where other players can +1 them or -1 them. Any question over a certain threshold MUST be answered, and the top five or ten questions should be answered in high detail. This will allow you to cut through the junk and answer stuff people care most about.
Additional Suggestion: Have costumes and ships as a mini-ask-Cryptic that occurs separately from the main one.
Originally Posted by neoakiraii
NeoakiraII like this.
To be fair, the ask cryptic for the last two years, has only ever really repeated stuff we already knew, and answering questions already answered.
This suggestion from Stararmy would solve a lot of those problems, so long as a list of previously answered questions can be viewed to stop the repetitiveness.
Admiral Five - Fed Eng, Fleet Heavy Escort Carrier - USS Daedalus
I don't have the time to read every suggestion submitted so far, so some of this may be redundant. Ideas:
1. Polls are a great idea. There should be some sort of post explaining options if they aren't self-explanatory. I would see this more as a supplementary feature rather than a substitute for "Ask Cryptic."
2. One of the biggest issues with Ask Cryptic was that the same questions would be selected each month (January - "When is X happening?"; February - "Any news on X?"; etc.) with the same answers ("We're working on it."; "It's coming soon."; "I've seen some designs."). A lot could be improved just by finding new questions to answer each month.
3. Love the idea of having an "Ask a Dev" blog. However, I think a switch to this would necessitate having to have blogs either weekly or bi-weekly. I know the devs are busy, but 1 blog from 1 dev a month would not cut it IMO.
4. Another issue with communication in general is the lack of centralization. The STO Twitter account, Facebook page, and Forums/Website all post the same big news (e.g. dev blogs, interviews, etc.), but often the devs post stuff on their own Twitter pages related to the game or answer questions on one of those aforementioned avenues but not in the others. There should be one set place to be able to see stuff that might be important (dev tracker helps). The website seems like a great place to do this. Maybe a new supplement could just be a weekly compilation of dev posts/tweets/etc. from the previous week. Even if it's just a quick copy/paste job from Twitter posts, it would be good for people who don't want to/can't check all three places.
a. This wouldn't need to be every little thing (e.g. "Branflakes said, "Check the forums" on Twitter) but something like "X posted Y in the forums, Gorgonzola replied ..." or "JamJamz tweeted this cool new preview of the Scimitar on Wednesday."
5. Instead of having 1 big "Ask Cryptic" on all topics once a month, break it down into weekly themes with smaller posts. Something like:
1st week of the month - blog on upcoming story content similar to the old engineering reports
2nd week of the month - blog on upcoming Foundry stuff
3rd week of the month - blog on upcoming ship/costume/Z-Store stuff
And then the last week of the month could be reserved for a themed Q&A post where the devs would supply a theme (e.g. development of the game, stories, costumes, etc.).
6. Really, Ask Cryptic could be a great and viable avenue in its current form if there was 1 big thing that accompanied it - a "what we're working on"/engineering report (remember those). So many of the questions that are asked for Ask Cryptic are just "Are you working on X?" or "When will we see Y?" If players already had an idea of what was on the drawing board, they would be able to write narrower and better questions. If we don't know what you're doing it's always going to be "X is rumored to be in development. Is that true?" With the reports it could become "You are working on this. What sorts of things are you tweaking with it?"
"That hurts worse than the uniform." - Dr. McCoy on the Vulcan salute
"On Vulcan, the teddy bears are alive. And they have six-inch fangs." - Spock on sehlats
The format of Ask Cryptic is, and probably always will remain, the "best" format for the primary purpose of the feature - get questions into Dev (DStahl) hands and give the players relatively short and succinct answers.
The implementation of said feature is sorely lacking. Answers like "soon (TM)", "planned for a future (unspecified) season" (and all variants thereof), and "please see our upcoming dev blog on the subject" are not telling us anything. All this is doing is pushing off the question to be asked either next month via the typical "you mentioned you are considering X for season Y. Any progress on whether we will see it?" question or it gets handled in the dev blog.
However, when 90% of an "Ask Cryptic" feature consists of these 3 very answers, I come away with a feeling of "boy, these questions were cherry-picked because they can be put off till the convenience of the Devs, instead of actually answering a player's question when it is asked"...
Therefore, random thoughts:
1. All "will be revealed in a Dev Blog" "answers" do not count to the typical 10-15 question limit of Ask Cryptic. Because the answer is in the mentioned dev blog, not the feature...
2. "Soon" and "future season" answers should come with a little meat to them. If the holdup is over coding (Need to code X before we can do Y), fine. If your plans call for feature X to be released in a theme pack of some sort (future mini-faction, lockbox, etc.) then tell us.
3. Remember the mantra: "You will never win on the Interwebs". No matter what you say, do, plan, disclaim, etc., there will be complaints, issues, calls of liar, etc. etc. So, post the disclaimers, give us straight answers, and let the trolls burn themselves out. Look for the rational posts in the middle of the conflagration, those are the ones that can help you steer the company "in accordance with player feedback"...
4. Farm out some of the answers. Stahl may not be the one best equipped to answer certain questions. Let it go to the appropriate Dev and get word back from them, even if Stahl is the one to type the answer up... Annotate appropriately...
50: S'Leth/Eurthyr/S. Dareau/Ardrian/Krudge/Annlova Not: Jadja
Still at it. CBS "restrictions" fell by wayside with freebie Breen. Time to re-examine ENT and ToS at tier 5, repurpose the Connie into Sci and rebuild an Akira escort into the "NX". 6 "eras", spread evenly over all the classes...
You've said it yourself, Ask Cryptic is just a repetitive, no answers list, which is unfortunate really. But in truth I don't think the solution has anything to do with re-branding it, as we could still end up with no answers under a different name.
All we need is some more transparency, tell us where things are at, if something doesn't work out then tell us why. I think you'd be surprised how many people would be interested in how stuff works behind the scenes. The reason people are irritated usually is because they can't understand the reasoning behind the few answers we get.
That's my small contribution, I hope it made sense enough !
I quite like the idea of Ask Cryptic, I read them and the dev blogs religiously also I'd like to propose an adaptation of your suggestion of calling out devs to answer questions in an interview situation. How about if we could ask a specific dev to answer specific questions in the relevant forum section as this would make a lot of players (myself included) a lot happier as we could actually get our questions answered rather than arguing amongst ourselves over who is right or wrong which ultimately devolves into L2P and flaming all of which could be stemmed by a decisive dev response to questions and suggestions on balance issues.
I'd just like to see a one post/question limit per account in the Ask Cryptic thread. Or just state that if your post is chosen, we will only answer the first question. Would limit those posts that have 20 questions, 19 of which were already asked.