Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 21
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I think you missed the point.
That's why it makes no sense to compare the new faction to the other two and expect them to have the same number of ships...the other two have had a somewhat steady stream of new ships over an extended period of time.
No I think you're missing the point. Your viewpoint is pinpoint focused on what is "fair" or maybe "normal" in relation to the experience of the other two factions.

Players deciding which faction to play right now don't care about that. What they will do is compare what each faction has right now. A small minority who are really into Romulans might stick with them regardless but most will weigh up what's available right now and decide accordingly.

I bought the lor pack but particularly with the dearth of science ships at this point am thinking that was not a good buy and am leaning towards just playing a fed.
Career Officer
# 22
06-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnoukh View Post
No I think you're missing the point. Your viewpoint is pinpoint focused on what is "fair" or maybe "normal" in relation to the experience of the other two factions.
It's actually focused on what is realistic.
Every played for example "World of Tanks"?
They added several nations to the game afterwards. Guess what: their list of vehicles is shorter than those of the established nations because those had time to get additions over time.
If people can't wrap their heads around the idea that it takes months to get a ship into STO (yes months, given they have to get approval every step of the way from the concept art to the final model from CBS) that's their problem.
I don't care about "fair", but I care about not setting my eyes on the next galaxy while tripping over a banana.
The shiplist was revealed well in advance so people knew what they were getting into.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
06-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrowcanary View Post
I've not spent a cent. My country doesn't have the cent as a unit of currency
nice sarcasm. i was just pointing out that i know of F2Pers that havent spent any real money on the game.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 24
06-28-2013, 06:42 PM
It is the same for Romulans allied with the Klingons BTW and Klingon & Federation characters can't fly any Romulan ships. I think the only reason we get to fly some allied ships is because Romulans don't have nearly the selection (particularly at lower levels) as the Federation & Klingon factions. @ the Commander level, I fly allied ships because the D'Deridex is a flying brick and has no more firepower or defensive capabilities than ships that are far more maneuverable. My Romulan-Klingon character flew a Raptor instead and my current Romulan-Fed character is flying a Defiant class ship. It has more fire-power, almost the same hull strength and oh yeah - I can actually use my cannons for more than just the first pass. The big D is a major disappointment to me anyway.
Survivor of Romulus
# 25
06-29-2013, 01:28 PM
In my opinion, if you're playing a federation romulan, and you have purchased zen ships, then the zen ships (and only the zen ships) should be available to romulans.

You've made a romulan and chosen a faction. Congrats. You stay neutral, you don't get access to the zen ships, you choose a side, you get access to the zen ships on that side that you've paid for.

It's not hard. but at the same time you've paid the zen for access to Federation / Klingon ships, your toons associated with that faction should have access to them.

Just my 2 creds worth.

Personally, I wanted to play Romulans kind of like they have "Joined Trill", where you can start as an independent toon with the whole storyline of one side outlined for you.

Can't please everyone, but this was a bad move imo.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
06-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
nice sarcasm. i was just pointing out that i know of F2Pers that havent spent any real money on the game.
out of mild curiosity, how many zen-ships have they unlocked?
Commander
# 27
06-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
It's actually focused on what is realistic.
Every played for example "World of Tanks"?
They added several nations to the game afterwards. Guess what: their list of vehicles is shorter than those of the established nations because those had time to get additions over time.
If people can't wrap their heads around the idea that it takes months to get a ship into STO (yes months, given they have to get approval every step of the way from the concept art to the final model from CBS) that's their problem.
Blah blah blah blah.

All completely irrelevant.

Customers - and that's what players are - care about what's on the table now.

If they're paying customers then they want value for money now. That's only reasonable. Even if they're not paying, leisure time is still finite.

Quote:
I don't care about "fair", but I care about not setting my eyes on the next galaxy while tripping over a banana.
That seems like a truly terrible metaphor given our positions.

My focus is on the tangible present. Yours is on a distant and indeterminate future.

Quote:
The shiplist was revealed well in advance so people knew what they were getting into.
Well.... not really.

For starters from the published info you couldn't tell that some of those ships are the size of small moons. Nor were other deficits clear - lower defence and power levels. Nor were the now evident problems with boffs.

Not that I'm rending my clothes or tearing my hair out. But as a customer I don't feel satisfied with that purchase. LOR's story content was good so I haven't come away with nothing. But based on this experience I'd be very hesitant to drop any more money on new content.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
For a limited time only while supplies last please feel free to stop by the Unified Systems Alliance fleet base to acquire your complimentary wheel of cheese to go with your whine.

Consoles from allied faction c-store ships should be available to Romulans, not even the ships but just the consoles.

Romulan faction players should have no access to allied ships from ANY tier. If you want to play a ROM be a ROM, same with FED and KDF. I'm not going to get into the same Red v Blue/ Red v Blue v Green, as we all know Cryptic has committed to the Red v Blue dynamic, even though people think it's a mistake.

The alliance should consist of nothing but the sole purpose of STF/PVP/PVE queues and the ability to visit alliance ports of call.

Yes Romulan ships are rather limited in variety right now, but for ****sake the expansion just came out and don't forget there are more ships on the way.
Captain
# 29
07-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnoukh View Post
Blah blah blah blah.

All completely irrelevant.

Customers - and that's what players are - care about what's on the table now.

If they're paying customers then they want value for money now. That's only reasonable. Even if they're not paying, leisure time is still finite.
And that is an unreasonable expectation. Your demand for instant gratification shows that you have a very limited understanding of programing and management. It means that with each faction or expansion, the programmer's have to invest an increasingly larger amount of time an resources on just one part of the game at the expense of the rest of the game. And the return on that investment gets smaller and smaller. Better to the barebones minimum initially and piecemeal it until it is up to parity rather than set such high expectations and disappoint those already invested into the game.
Commander
# 30
07-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
And that is an unreasonable expectation. Your demand for instant gratification shows that you have a very limited understanding of programing and management. It means that with each faction or expansion, the programmer's have to invest an increasingly larger amount of time an resources on just one part of the game at the expense of the rest of the game. And the return on that investment gets smaller and smaller. Better to the barebones minimum initially and piecemeal it until it is up to parity rather than set such high expectations and disappoint those already invested into the game.
My demand? I've made no demands. None at all. I've expressed disappointment with the fact that they've tailored the Romulan faction for a single career. It's not just evident with ships either. Romulans (the race) start the game with a tactical specific trait that boosts ground stealth - which is a tac only thing.

I have commented on the very simple reality of the producer / consumer relationship in that it is grounded in the present.

Successful producers don't whine about how hard it is make their product and expect consumers to cough up money for it in advance and hang around in the hope that one day they might get what they want out of it.

More ships may come out for Romulans. But if eg. they don't sell many Scimitars I wouldn't expect much more development time to be invested in Romulan ships. Look at the Klingons. They have a 3 pack bundle for tac ships (like the Scimitars) but not for cruisers or science vessels.

FYI I have both managed and worked in programming. Very successfully on both fronts. A key component of that success was understanding what customers want/need. Expecting them to understand how tragically difficult *sob sob* my job is doesn't really factor into it.