Captain
# 41
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post

Which brings me to wonder, gavinruneblade what don't you like about Sweeping Strikes?
Most Boffs still don't know how to use the power. They will trigger it as an enemy is moving so it will do nothing. Or they will stand near an enemy and do nothing at all for a while.

If you remove sweeping strikes and just give them two lunges, 1 or 2 grenades/buffs and stealth they are far more deadly than if you give them sweeping strikes.

In my experiments with my melee tactical officer, sweeping strikes bugs out reliably and doesn't fire when I click it about 75% of the time. I think this may be part of the Boff's problem. But additionally they will never figure out the moving enemy issue.

In the hands of a boff, lunge is simply far more reliable and it deals more damage anyway.

For yourself, sweeping strikes is fine. When it works.
Captain
# 42
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
I gave my Jem'hadar boff a nanopulse bat'leth and my Breen boff a nanopulse lirpa. They had a field day.

PURPLE LIRPA!
Rihannsu
# 43
06-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talien View Post
Sweeping Strikes has a long animation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Most Boffs still don't know how to use the power... In my experiments with my melee tactical officer, sweeping strikes bugs out reliably and doesn't fire when I click it about 75% of the time...
Thank you both for the replies. Now that you mention it, I do remember my BO just standing around on occasion. Sweeping strikes is the cause, eh? It's too bad, cuz I do recall on other occasions it working to knock down 2-3 bad guys in one sweep (which while I'm not sure of the actual damage, it looked really cool and stunned or otherwise kept the bad guys from fighting back long enough to kill them). I'll look into something different for my melee BOs, anyway.

Again, thanks for the tip.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
i been saying this since the ground combat overhaul but everyone ignored me...

my fed tac has a fully dedicated melee off tank boff and he's hilarious.
Empire Veteran
# 45
06-20-2013, 02:08 PM
sweeping strike does not have a long animation, at least a long time between activating and it hitting. most of the length is the follow through. i figured boffs would be to stupid to use it, id never give it up on my captain though. its easier to use when you activate via hotkey, then clicking, you need your mouse to aim and point, not activating. good controls can make seemingly cumbersome things easy to use.

and the damage sweeping strike deals is massive, if you spec right at least.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-20-2013, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see dismemberments and beheadings on critical hits, but that might be too graphic for all the kids that play the game.
Captain
# 47
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Once I get my allstar, all-melee away team perfected, I will remove all their weapons and see how they fare with straight-out, hand to hand combat!

I have to say, I have the lunges stacked up. My boffs go mental for it now
Ensign
# 48
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
I like to melee in Elite ground STF missions. Usually the more melee fighters the better the team does. When your melee fighting your able to kill quicker because your attacks go past shields to do a lot of damage also you don't have to worry about being shot or any of your team being shot at by the drone your attacking increasing the survivability of the entire team. All you have to worry about is sometimes you get injected with Borg Assimilation nanites.

A Sci with a medic kit really rocks as a melee fighter. Swords as the best melee weapon.
Not to mention you don't have to remodulate your sword just to keep hacking at borg!
Rihannsu
# 49
06-20-2013, 03:43 PM
I dont use melee weapons like swords or lirpas or batleths, I use my gun, it does more dps than swords with the 800 base dmg roundhouse kicks, huge flaw is that you always have to charge the combo which takes 1. a knockback which does no dmg whatsoever and you have to run closer to your foe 2. rifle butt attack which has chance to stun and does decent dmg 3. sideway rifle aoe attack that has low knock chance and high expose chance, 4. uppercut weapon blow that has high stun chance and pretty high dmg, and chance to expose and chance of knockdown 5. a roundhouse kick that devastates any foe who did not already die to the uppercut weapon attack with it's 800 base dmg physical attack, consumes expose and causes up to 2000 dmg on critical hits.

repeats phase 2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5 afterwards

nos word beats the roundhouse kick of my KHG pulsewave, also, borg weapons add that extra physical dmg, either 10% or 15 kinetic to all your melee, best way to kill armek super fast.
Say the word, it saves the world.
CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
Captain
# 50
06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxfire View Post
I dont use melee weapons like swords or lirpas or batleths, I use my gun, it does more dps than swords with the 800 base dmg roundhouse kicks, huge flaw is that you always have to charge the combo which takes 1. a knockback which does no dmg whatsoever and you have to run closer to your foe 2. rifle butt attack which has chance to stun and does decent dmg 3. sideway rifle aoe attack that has low knock chance and high expose chance, 4. uppercut weapon blow that has high stun chance and pretty high dmg, and chance to expose and chance of knockdown 5. a roundhouse kick that devastates any foe who did not already die to the uppercut weapon attack with it's 800 base dmg physical attack, consumes expose and causes up to 2000 dmg on critical hits.

repeats phase 2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5 afterwards

nos word beats the roundhouse kick of my KHG pulsewave, also, borg weapons add that extra physical dmg, either 10% or 15 kinetic to all your melee, best way to kill armek super fast.
Your saying that your gun has much better DPS than any melee weapon? I think not.

Everyone knows that you cannot get a better DPS than from melee. The only reason why everyone isn't running around with melee weapons, is because many people like the range over lack of damage for some reason. Maybe they are nervous about close quarter combat.

My away team combine lunges with melee. I see huge numbers of damage consistently, not just when a lunge is performed.

Sweeping strikes are good but only if its timed well. Leaving such a thing to an NPC is just more faith than i'm prepared to give. Swords however, they can't go wrong
Closed Thread