Career Officer
# 131
06-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Like it or not, this whole thing is of a political nature, as bluegeek pointed out early on. Now, I would have no problem with that section of the rules being reduced to simply, "Posting off-topic comments," I think we can have free and open discussion and so long as threads are kept on topic and in the right forum everyone can be happy. But that's not what it says, it says that any "comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature" are automatically in violation. That means that any discussion of the subject of that gust blog is in violation.
It's not politics. In the real world, discussing gay rights, that's politics. This blog discusses Star Trek's message of peace, understanding and acceptance. Then mentions the fact they are holding a Pride celebration on the server next weekend. It's not discussing their views on sexuality, or asking for a discussion on that matter.
Career Officer
# 132
06-21-2013, 05:06 PM
To me this whole thing seems like a reaction from Cryptic/PWE for the backlash of choosing Towelliee for last week's giveaway event. Instead of saying "Oh we love diversity", to me it came out "sorry we put a gay hater last week, how about some pro LGBT guys this week".
Career Officer
# 133
06-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Like it or not, this whole thing is of a political nature, as bluegeek pointed out early on. Now, I would have no problem with that section of the rules being reduced to simply, "Posting off-topic comments," I think we can have free and open discussion and so long as threads are kept on topic and in the right forum everyone can be happy. But that's not what it says, it says that any "comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature" are automatically in violation. That means that any discussion of the subject of that gust blog is in violation.
I am fairly certain that the intention of the rule about politics is specifically meant to address political discussion directly and solely relating to current events and not directly relating to the game or franchise or to discussions of a strongly partisan nature.

I do not believe that discussing, for instance, how Star Trek directly relates to current and past social and cultural issues (such as racism, sexism, and homophobia), how the Ferengi were created as an indictment of unregulated capitalism, or how Sir Patrick Stewart was knighted by the Queen is against the rules.

I believe the ban on political chat refers specifically to current events and other similar issues with no direct connection to the game or the Star Trek franchise.
Career Officer
# 134
06-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Society these days...
What month is white history month?
When is straight-pride month?
Can I just be American-American?
I seem to be getting lost in the shuffle!

We are becoming more and more of an exclusionist society each and every day, and now it is bleeding into my gaming which is truly appalling. The ones who are telling you this is a celebration of 'IDIC' do not realize they are being exclusionists themselves. They will say, "no we aren't, you are free to come join us" to which my response would be "no thanks, I will wait for the 'We are all people' celebration".
Lieutenant
# 135
06-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
It's not politics. In the real world, discussing gay rights, that's politics. This blog discusses Star Trek's message of peace, understanding and acceptance. Then mentions the fact they are holding a Pride celebration on the server next weekend. It's not discussing their views on sexuality, or asking for a discussion on that matter.
Are you comfortable with other expresions of Pride in the interest of diversity? Latino Pride? Black Pride? White Pride? Straight Pride? Female Pride? Male Pride? Opening the door to these things means your are making choices on views to endorse. Some are more politically acceptable than others. I seriously doubt we will see anything from the alternative viewpoints and that means that far from expressing diversity, you are actually restricting and supressing diversity of opinion. The best way to celebrate diversity is by endorsing everything by not making public advertisements in favor of specific groups.
Captain
# 136
06-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
It's very very evident from any degree of analysis of the blog that the goal is to promote their gay pride event and present it as the logical continuation of Trek's long history of social progressivism. So the blog itself is clearly designed to promote an event with a specific political purpose, which is equivalent to promoting that political purpose. If you can't see that you're making a deliberate effort not to.
Career Officer
# 137
06-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus27 View Post
Are you comfortable with other expresions of Pride in the interest of diversity? Latino Pride? Black Pride? White Pride? Straight Pride? Female Pride? Male Pride? Opening the door to these things means your are making choices on views to endorse. Some are more politically acceptable than others. I seriously doubt we will see anything from the alternative viewpoints and that means that far from expressing diversity, you are actually restricting and supressing diversity of opinion. The best way to celebrate diversity is by endorsing everything by not making public advertisements in favor of specific groups.
Actually, I do support the expression of pride in anybodies identity. What I have a problem with is when people express their hate for other groups of people. Taking pride in who you are is not the same thing.

I suppress nobody by expressing my comfort with who I am and what my sexuality is so that is totally acceptable. If somebody wanted to celebrate Latino pride day, then by all means go ahead, so long as they don't turn it into a "Latino's are better than every other person" day, because that's not the same thing at all. Be proud of who you are, without belittling who other people are.

Last edited by khamseenair; 06-21-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 138
06-21-2013, 05:42 PM
The ignorance on display in this thread is exactly the reason why topics like this should be encouraged. Thank you, Cryptic, for being stand-up and putting this topic out in the open where bigots can't hide from it anymore. And thank you for giving those same bigots an opportunity to identify themselves for all to see.
Republic Veteran
# 139
06-21-2013, 05:46 PM
LOL, the kids hahahaha I love it when people use that excuse becasue it's such a BS excuse it's not even funny...hahah the kids good one.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Lieutenant
# 140
06-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Actually, if you feel unable to discuss it then you're only wanting to use "hatred, discrimination and/or denigrations" in your post. As those are what is not allowed.
Case in point. You see my objection and automatically label me a hateful, discriminating bigot and therefore, I shouldn't be allowed to voice said objection. Do not paint me with your brush.

I will speak for myself, thank you.