Survivor of Romulus
# 501
06-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Jewish is a faith (it being ILLEGAL to refer to it as a race in parts of Europe)
Hebrew is a Race
Homosexual is a sexual identity
And Romulan is a species

But diversity is a good thing as long as we are all allowed to be what we are

Straight , gay , white , black , green , liberal , republican , monarchist or communist

Everyone is people

of course a gay Green liberal would be somewhat rare
Career Officer
# 502
06-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
oh just one person as far as im concerned but the number of actual homosexuals is TINY at about 1 in 1000

hmm probably depends how you count them
practicing Torah Jews or "one or more Jewish ancestors"

but then those are several catagories
Homosexuals about 1 in 1000
Bisexuals I have no figures for
Genuine transgenders ? tiny tiny tiny group (not including "social" transgender or "financial" transgender" like the lady boys of Thailand ) there are probably a few about but not many

that the 2% figure is wrong

that was the scientific evidence

Homosexuals are "exclusively attracted to members of the same gender"
Bisexuals are "attracted to members of both genders"
Bi is not Gay

who did they ask?
100 people at a gay pride rally in brazil??

or less than that in 99% of cultures where it has not been repressed or hidden thus leading to less in the actual population (there is some evidence that homosexuality Is genetic and those "passing" and raising familys have increased the numbers)
Personally I do not care what causes it or why it happens

The vast majority of people could not care less if a tiny part of society is different
BUT claiming that half of us are would be an existential threat to many
Actually, there is no scientifically accepted definition of homosexual, bisexual, and heterosexual. Most researchers use a sliding scale based on Kinsey's original work with exclusively heterosexual on one end and exclusively homosexual on the other, with the overwhelming majority of people being somewhere between.

Studies on homosexuality in the United States show that about 2% of the population self-identify as being exclusively homosexual and about 5% of being a member of being homosexual or bisexual. Given the sample sizes, the margin of error is extremely low. Since all the scientific evidence shows that sexual orientation is a congenital trait and since many homosexuals are not comfortable honestly answering a survey, it can be extrapolated that, at a minimum, about 2% of the world's population is homosexual and 5% homosexual or bisexual.

SOURCE: Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy, University of California Los Angeles, "How many People aer Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender", April 2011.
Survivor of Romulus
# 503
06-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Actually, there is no scientifically accepted definition of homosexual, bisexual, and heterosexual
just gave you it

Homosexual ONLY sexually attracted to own gender
Bisexual Attracted sexually to both genders
Hetrosexual ONLY sexually attracted to other gender

(and that's the definition from the people who INVENTED the words)

Quote:
Most researchers use a sliding scale based on Kinsey's original work with exclusively heterosexual on one end and exclusively homosexual on the other, with the overwhelming majority of people being somewhere between.
then Kinsey is wrong
the vast majority of people never have a same sex encounter in their life times
and same sex attraction is extremely rare

Quote:
Studies on homosexuality in the United States show that about 2% of the population self-identify as being exclusively homosexual and about 5% of being a member of being homosexual or bisexual
unbalanced due to "free citys" like san Francisco probably that an the long term passing and repression

Quote:
. Given the sample sizes, the margin of error is extremely low.
the margin seems to be quite large seeing as its 20X the norm
Quote:
Since all the scientific evidence shows that sexual orientation is a congenital trait and since many homosexuals are not comfortable honestly answering a survey, it can be extrapolated that, at a minimum, about 2% of the world's population is homosexual and 5% homosexual or bisexual.
or that 0.1 % are homosexual and the researchers phrased the question wrong
which is more likely

Quote:
SOURCE: Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy, University of California Los Angeles, "How many People aer Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender", April 2011.
yes California who it seems do not have a definition of homosexual
Lt. Commander
# 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
If you have a point to make, be explicit and stop dealing in ambiguities. There was a blog about diversity in Star Trek and its history of promoting tolerance and social change. The author invited STO players to attend a fleet event relevant to that topic.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessniper View Post
The point has already been made. Thank you for your time
I wasn't speaking to you, at all. I was speaking to Sollvax, you already admitted to trolling.
Career Officer
# 505
Quote:
Jewish is a faith (it being ILLEGAL to refer to it as a race in parts of Europe)
Hebrew is a Race
Homosexual is a sexual identity
And Romulan is a species

But diversity is a good thing as long as we are all allowed to be what we are

Straight , gay , white , black , green , liberal , republican , monarchist or communist

Everyone is people

of course a gay Green liberal would be somewhat rare
Sorry, but as someone who is both part Jewish and has written scholarly papers on the subject, your claim is utterly false. To begin with, the fact that European law does not allow the freedom of speech is irrelevant. By both the common dictionary definition and its use in scholarly publications:

JUDAISM: Modern or historical religious practices based upon Judaic beliefs as guided by the Torah and Tanakh.

JEW: Someone who either practices Judaism or is the cultural or familial heir of those that once did.

HEBREW: The written alphabet or language of modern and ancient Israel. Can also be a synonym for Jew or Jewish.

People rarely call Jews a "race" these days, since that term usually refers to a much larger group. The term ethnicity is more appropriate, although it is possible to use either.

Homosexuals are neither a race nor an ethnicity, but they share a common history of being persecuted in the United States simply for being born. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy are both Jews. George Takei came out of the closet recently.
Lt. Commander
# 506
06-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Judaism is a religion. Jews are an ethnicity, a group of people who share a common genetic ancestry and culture, just like the Arabs or the Han Chinese.

Homosexuals are neither a religion nor an ethnicity, but they do often share a common culture and a history of being persecuted in the United States simply for the crime of being being born a Jew or a homosexual.

The population of Americans who identify themselves as being of the Jewish faith or ethnicity is probably smaller than those who identify themselves as homosexuals. Both groups deserve equal protection under the law and cultural tolerance, which was the thesis of this blog.
I should have stayed out of that one. My intent wasn't to start a dialog about race or religion. I unfortunately responded to a trollish post designed to lead down a rabbit hole.

My husband and I took today off and are spending it with our friends, celebrating our HUGE victories today. I am admittedly a little tipsy and not thinking clearly.

DOMA's Dead
Prop 8's Dead
Career Officer
# 507
06-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
just gave you it

Homosexual ONLY sexually attracted to own gender
Bisexual Attracted sexually to both genders
Hetrosexual ONLY sexually attracted to other gender

(and that's the definition from the people who INVENTED the words)

then Kinsey is wrong
the vast majority of people never have a same sex encounter in their life times
and same sex attraction is extremely rare

unbalanced due to "free citys" like san Francisco probably that an the long term passing and repression

the margin seems to be quite large seeing as its 20X the norm

or that 0.1 % are homosexual and the researchers phrased the question wrong
which is more likely

yes California who it seems do not have a definition of homosexual
No, you provided your own definition, which is neither supported by the literature nor the scientific consensus. It is also the logical fallacy of bifurcation. And no one person, "invented the words". They slowly became to be used in English over time and can have many different meanings. The way a person who specializes in human sexuality research is likely to use those terms varies greatly from how someone from the slums of New Dehli or the Australian outback might.

Kinesey's scale was not "wrong". It was simply zoological in nature and cannot be proved or disproved. It is the basis of how modern researchers define the spectrum of sexuality. The demographic information Kinsey included in his report is irrelevant to anything I have written given that I have only used modern sources of high quality, containing the responses of over 100,000 Americans.

The University of California at Los Angeles is one of the premiere universities in the world. I see that when you lack scientific evidence, you simply assert you are correct (without valid sources) and then attempt ad hominem attacks against my country's greatest State.
Survivor of Romulus
# 508
06-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Sorry, but as someone who is both part Jewish and has written scholarly papers on the subject, your claim is utterly false. To begin with, the fact that European law does not allow the freedom of speech is irrelevant. By both the common dictionary definition and its use in scholarly publications:
A certain insane Austrian called Jews a race
he then tried to wipe them out
thus its no longer legal in parts of Europe to call them one

Quote:
JUDAISM: Modern or historical religious practices based upon Judaic beliefs as guided by the Torah and Tanakh.
correct (more or less)

Quote:
JEW: Someone who either practices Judaism or is the cultural or familial heir of those that once did.
Not so much
" a person practicing the Jewish faith OR having a Jewish mother"
(Quoting my friend Ruth who IS one(a Jewish mother))

Quote:
HEBREW: The written alphabet or language of modern and ancient Israel. Can also be a synonym for Jew or Jewish.
Hebrew a language of the semitic grouping and the genetic decendants of Abrahams line
by his younger son

Quote:
People rarely call Jews a "race" these days, since that term usually refers to a much larger group. The term ethnicity is more appropriate, although it is possible to use either.
you technically can't convert to a race
ergo its legally considered a "cultural group"

Quote:
Homosexuals are neither a race nor an ethnicity, but they share a common history of being persecuted in the United States simply for being born. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy are both Jews. George Takei came out of the closet recently.
William shatner believes only in William shatner
And frankly anyone who could not spot George as homosexual in the 1970's needs an eye test
Career Officer
# 509
06-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonheller View Post
I should have stayed out of that one. My intent wasn't to start a dialog about race or religion. I unfortunately responded to a trollish post designed to lead down a rabbit hole.

My husband and I took today off and are spending it with our friends, celebrating our HUGE victories today. I am admittedly a little tipsy and not thinking clearly.

DOMA's Dead
Prop 8's Dead
I admit, I forgot to check the paper. The rulings turned out exactly as I expected they would. Congratulations to those who worked hard for equal rights. My fellow Californians will soon be able to have their marriages legally recognized in this State and my fellow service-members will soon have the same marriage benefits regardless of their orientation.
Survivor of Remus
# 510
06-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonheller View Post
I wasn't speaking to you, at all. I was speaking to Sollvax, you already admitted to trolling.
And still no one has given a clear and precise reason that 2% of the population is placed upon a pedestal.
Remove GECKO from the game!