Commander
# 1 Rose Tinted Mirror
06-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Title: Rose Tinted Mirror (ST-HUMXM260Z)
Author: isthisscience
Faction: Federation (Rom Friendly)
Level Requirement: Capt. 31+
Author Notes: Last night there was a break in at UESPA's base on Titan. One Deltan was captured. UESPA has been unable to determine what they were doing there and have requested assistance from Starfleet security. Given a connection between the Deltan and your ship, you've been assigned to assist them. Beam down to Earth Space Dock and give any assistance you can. See your future, your past, what could have been, what must never be... and could you destroy the Federation, by saving it?

This is my first mission to the foundry. Sorry for any minor textual errors, was a bit excited that the foundry was back up so was typing a bit to fast!

EDIT: Click here for a video play through by the Foundry Roundtable!

MARCH 2014 UPDATE: Several levels have now been remastered with some content adjusted including toning down some of the heavier combat sections.

Last edited by isthisscience; 03-11-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added link to review
Rihannsu
# 2
06-22-2013, 04:34 PM
ITS:

Sounds interesting. I looked for your mission today and could not find it. Looking forward to giving it a spin once its available again.

Oh, never mind, my toon was probably not high enough level to see it. Will try on a more advanced character
Rihannsu
# 3
06-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Played the mission with one of my vice admirals... I enjoyed it. The story was well-written and thoughtful, and I did not encounter any technical or scripting bugs that detracted from the mission.

Some of the ground combat segments felt a little repetitive, with 4 or 5 groups fought back-to-back and there were some minor spelling and grammar inconsistencies, but these were fairly minor issues.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable mission and an excellent first effort. Keep up the good work
Commander
# 4
06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your feedback! I'll certainly take it on board. It should be for level31 and above, though I did find searching for it by name didn't seem to work sometimes and I had to put the code in. Is that normal early on?
Ensign
# 5
07-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Tried to find the mission with my vice admiral, couldn't find it.
Career Officer
# 6
07-19-2013, 09:14 PM
This is my review and feedback on isthisscience's mission Rose Tinted Mirror.

I really liked the maps! Especially the UESPA Headquarters and Jupiter station.

The writing was excellent. I don't wanna sound lame or anything but I couldn't come up with a word to describe it, that's how awesome I thought it was. I really wanted to know what the heck was going on, especially after I captured the three people. IMO that's when it really took off.

The combat was pretty balanced (maybe a bit easy at the beginning) but the last fight was real hard. I died three times I think. I elaborated more in "note and suggestions".

FYI I was reading Commander Mercier's voice as one of the characters in System Shock 2. Don't remember which character...and don't know why I mentioned it but anyways really great mission!

Notes/Suggestions

I have some notes and suggestions on Foundry Tech usage. If all you're looking for is a review you can skip this! However there may be something you can learn from this. To isthisscience, its up to you on what you do with this, its just my POV.

Map 1
Check <x> Records - Multiple Interact with Object objectives. A trick to make them appear to be on one console is to have all three consoles in the exact same place with same orientation. Then it looks like its just one console with 3 different interact objectives!
Also there was no animation on any of interact objectives.
No animation on the interrogate interacts with object.
Objective - Return to Commander Arney...but its to Commander Riva Mercier...did you change the name after? Maybe I missed something

Map 2
The disable forcefields objectives showed up was weird, how did you do it? I forgot to take a screenshot but it would show each disable forcefield as its own objective yet still list the progress (1/3 then 2/3 and then 3/3). If you did it properly it might be a bug and we should put a post in the foundry bug forum
4th defeat hologram objective had a unit stuck in the wall (was still able to shoot it)

Map 3
Objective - Talk to Commander Arney...talking to Riva Mercier wrong name again?

Nothing for a while, either I didn't notice anything or I got too caught up in actually playing the mission

Bridge Map
Insta Combat on the bridge was hard, I wasn't paying attention on map load and then I died! What I did in "The Great Escape" was to have an invisible wall between the player and the bad guys. The map would load and instantly pop up a map pop up dialogue When that dialogue finished the invisible wall would go down and fighting would commence. Gives the player some warning and a tiny bit of prep time. My dialogue would usually be like "oh no they're here! blahblah!!!"

General Suggestions
I found several typos...what I do is type dialogue in a word processor (Microsoft Word, Google Docs) for free spell check! Copy pasting is easy alt-tab, alt-tab alt-tab.

I made a list of the typos and will mail you in game when its formatted.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Career Officer
# 7
07-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Here's the list of typos and spelling mistakes I found. First I put the objective that I found it on(or as close to as possible). Then I put url(s) screenshot of the mistake(s) if applicable. Hopefully it's good enough.

PS I did this for a friend earlier so I thought I'd do the same for you but holy crap it takes so long so you're lucky. This will be the last time I make a "pretty" typo list for a "random" mission

Typos/Spelling:

Map 1
Titles in french? Depute Minstre...didn't screenshot because I was pretty sure that's what you were going for
Speak with Riva Mercier and Hoye - http://i.imgur.com/fZuo5oy.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/0m8avUv.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/H0sMcdU.jpg
Check <x> Records. Inconsistent capitalization (Check civilian records vs Check Starfleet Records) - Yes I'm nitpicky with spelling
Check Starfleet Records - http://i.imgur.com/LQDySPa.jpg

Map 3
Talking to Dr Gonzalez (Elia Tam file) - http://i.imgur.com/J7X6m9a.jpg
Interrogating Tuva - http://i.imgur.com/q0oVbEM.jpg
Interrogating Keres - http://i.imgur.com/kqhyYuz.jpg

Map 4
Beginning Dialogue - http://i.imgur.com/wLUlInS.jpg

Engineering Map (lost track of which map it is)
Find Lt Tam - http://i.imgur.com/E8uBeBN.jpg

As I said in the review, one way to avoid typos and spelling mistakes is to use a word processor. Personally I use google docs. Side bonus is that I get to write my mission dialogue even when I'm not able to accesss STO!

Once again great mission!

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Commander
# 8
07-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the review zorbane, much appreciated! Thanks for picking up all those bugs, I was on a bit of a learning curve with the foundry but hopefully, now I've had reviews, been playing loads of foundry missions and listening to the podcasts, I should crack it next time round (hopefully!). Thanks again for giving such a useful and positive review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sack26 View Post
Tried to find the mission with my vice admiral, couldn't find it.
You have to search via the code, not the mission name or my name. Odd, I presume it is just a thing with missions still in the red? Anyone else had this? But yes, search via the code and it should appear. Thanks for the interest.
Ensign
# 9
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Ok that worked. Good mission. I enjoyed it.
Commander
# 10
08-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I just want to say, thanks to everyone who have been giving such great reviews to this on the Foundry! I'm really happy people have enjoyed it. I've noticed a huge amount of people asking for a sequel - far more than I thought would. I had a few ideas but I wasn't planning on it before. But after my current agenda is done, maybe, if there is a good story to be told in it. My new mission now is 'Your Mission Is Over' which, while not a sequel, does give a small nod to the question of what happened after the end of Rose Tinted Mirror...