Lt. Commander
# 1 Manually Downloading Patches
01-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Howdy there,

I went to play STO and the launcher wanted to download a patch, so ok, I did. And notice that it's around 700MB. So with that large of a file, I can't download it on the computer I'm playing on, and have to download on a different one then just transfer it over to my computer.

So is there a mirror download site or a way to download patches manually? Would be a great idea if there isn't that option for people like me that have whatever reason for downloading large files.

Thanks ya'll.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Manually download patches, where?
01-23-2010, 04:11 AM
I am one of those who would very much appreciate downloading patches from a mirror site rather then downloading the patch through the client as i can get much faster connection and no limit download in another computer than my home computer. The of course i have to move the file via USB key to my home computer but that is so much worth it rather then spending hours trying to download the patch in my home computer if iīm capped by my phone company and donīt have any speeds to be downloading ca 800 mb patch through the game client.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Agreed - a manual patching option would be much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2010, 11:59 AM
This would be very nice. I will be moving soon and will have to utilize cellular internet. From my research, I should be able to play fine, but most plans have a 5GB a month limit and patching can eat that up. I will have to find a way to patch without carting my desktop around town.

Please?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drekkyk View Post
This would be very nice. I will be moving soon and will have to utilize cellular internet. From my research, I should be able to play fine, but most plans have a 5GB a month limit and patching can eat that up. I will have to find a way to patch without carting my desktop around town.

Please?
Exactly! That's my situation also.

All well, looks like our support was looked over. I'll submit a ticket and ask that way. I'll post back if I get a reply.

I would like to buy the game, but I don't want to unless I know that I will be able to manually download patches. So I think this warrants a good reason to contact via ticket support.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Patches Are no 700 mb. that is the size of the file that is being patched (or all the files total being patched)

example

i have a files coolgamefile.exp it is 500 mb

i have a patch for that file that is say 2 mb down load.

the cryptic launcher for some reason that i don't understand reports the size of the files it is patching not the size of the patch.

next time you patch watch the numbers. a few 100 kb is not 30% of 700mb

how ever i do aree with you. it would help the patch lag we get on patch day.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree with these posters (even though I'm posting about half a year after them). Here's my story:

Had issues with downloading patches for other MMOs before, so I always kept one folder on one of my storage drives just for backing up MMO patches. You wouldn't believe what a life-saver that folder was.

Last week, I had an issue with my OS and had to reinstall. After taking care of the major issue itself - bad sector on my primary hard drive - I finally got my operating system reinstalled. During the process, however, I lost all the files on the storage drive where I normally store my backed-up programs. This includes the folder where I stash all of my MMO patch back-ups.

I'm trying to patch STO as I type this, but it has been over an hour now and the launcher is once again only at 5%. I live with other individuals, and early last month we set up a wireless LAN in the house. We have one wireless modem connected via Ethernet to a wireless router that the LAN controller (a computer in the dining room) is hard-wired to. All the other computers in the house - a computer in the room where my brother and his gal live, a laptop in their daughter's room and my computer in my room - connect to the modem via wireless NIDs, and there are three video game systems in the living room that connect to the router to minimize network load somewhat. We live in a large house, and this is not a system that can be easily altered just for one specific reason (i.e. connecting my computer - located in the rearmost bedroom in the house - to the modem - located in the kitchen/dining room - just to download patches for STO). We attempted that a while back when we added an Xbox 360 to the mix, and I can't begin to tell you about the various levels of Hades we all descended through just to enable file sharing between the Xbox 360 and my computer so we could watch one film (which we wound up burning to disc later, anyway, after getting fed up trying to get everything working without signal conflicts or noticeable network lag). It's not only a miracle any of us can get online at all at times, it's an even greater miracle that I can get STO running without lag. You can easily tell when my wireless signal falters for even a second: levels take a few seconds longer to load.

The problem this creates for reinstalling the game is this: if my wireless signal falters for a nanosecond, it drops the STO launcher's connection to the server and the patch process must begin all over again once it reconnects. On my previous attempts, it got to about 8% and failed (and this is after I've made sure all other Internet-enabled software on my computer - background process or not - has been paused or otherwise de-activated). I'm very, very fortunate this time around; alt-tabbing back to the launcher, the updater has gotten to 29.5% and counting, so maybe the connection won't reset again and I'll finally manage to get the game patched.

It's only STO's launcher that has this issue. My browser's connection via the wireless LAN isn't nearly as unstable. I could probably download patch files - in small batches of files or one at a time, whatever works - from a webpage on Cryptic's tech support site much quicker than the loader can get them. Another science fiction MMO I was addicted to for a time, Star Wars Galaxies (please, make no remarks about my taste in MMOs), used to have a webpage somewhere where I could nab patch files, and there are Q only knows how many personal sites out there that host World of ******** patch files for WOW addicts to nab as needed. It would be a piece of mercy for STO to have something similar, at least as a back-up.

STO game loader is now patching at 39% and holding... Let's hope the connection stays stable.

UPDATE: *sigh* Nevermind. Now at 9.9%...
Ensign
# 8
07-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I am having the same issue.....i had to unistall and reinstall the game because of the "loader bug" and now it says it has to patch over 5 gigs of data. I know this is not the download size but i have waited for 45 mins on an average download speed and have only gotten 0.3% before it needs to restart because it looses connection. This only happens with this download through "your" games launcher. A manual update link...in the form of a torrent or regular download would save me from never playing this game again.
Ensign
# 9 manual update
07-13-2012, 11:49 PM
hi is there a way to manually update the game... the launcher update fails at attempt 2
Ensign
# 10
11-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Along a similar vein, I have installed STO but now has begun to download a 7.3 gig patch. Trouble is my internet connection isn't all that stable, and I can only download meaningfully at night. Whenever I however restart the game launcher's patcher, it starts from scratch, ignoring whatever I have downloaded.
Closed Thread