Lt. Commander
# 1 Rubber-banding
01-21-2010, 12:56 AM
So after the patch today the game is completely unplayable. Nothing but rubber-banding issues. Everything else seems to work fine (menus, inventory, skills, etc.). Not being able to move kind of breaks the game what good, and before the patch I had no issues with this type of lag. No idea if it's a server load problem or not, but with friends of mine also playing with no rubber-banding issues, I can't imagine it's a server load problem.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm no expert on MMO server systems, but I'm going to guess from my IT training and experience that these issues may not be directly related to everyone. I believe that it is possible that server balancing may cause some to run great, and entire segments of others to run horribly. Part of this may come from how the connections are established and maintained upon being handed off from the login server.

I also thought that it could be a problem on my end, or a problem across the WAN, but I have tested my LAN and run multiple tracrerts and found that I have no latency issues between here and the patch server. I'm guessing that either the new hardware isn't up yet, or it is and just needs to be balanced.

Please don't take this as written in stone, as I have already stated that I don't know anything specific to MMO servers, but it is an "educated" guess. If CR or someone else wants to correct me, please do as I'm always interested in learning how things work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, after today's patch, things are a little bit better. But the rubber-banding is still there, although now it feels like it's teleporting me backwards by large amounts every 15 seconds or so.

Ah well, maybe the next time they patch it I can play again. So far, this game is not worth paying for, and I don't mean just the rubber-band lag. A lot of the issues have been addressed, but most have not. Maybe another patch will fix it!