Lt. Commander
# 1 Advise on a new pc setup
01-22-2010, 01:58 AM
So I knew my current pc would just barely run this game I found out how bad it would be after about 5 min on the Beta so I need some advise on a new pc idk if it would run STO properly

Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard
Intel Core i5 750 Processor
Corsair Dominator PC10666 RAM
ASUS Radeon HD 4650 Video Card

thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Q: What are the system requirements?
A: The minimum system requirements are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
* Memory: 1GB RAM
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

The recommended system specifications are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
* Memory: 2GB RAM+
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Sorry, but if you can't look at these requirements and determine for yourself if the build will work well or not then you probably don't need to be trying to build one. Not trying to flame, just being honest as an IT guy can be.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Picard View Post

Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard
Intel Core i5 750 Processor
Corsair Dominator PC10666 RAM
ASUS Radeon HD 4650 Video Card
is this what you currently have or what you want to replace?

if its what your looking at buying then
yes that rig will run STO but is it the best to run the game or any game then not realy

without a budget to work with the sky could be the limit but realisticaly
imho the minimum ati graphics card you should be looking at is an ATI 4870, no reason these days not to go for 1gb ddr5 at least. if your going to be using win7 then 5xxx series are the dx11 compatable cards

ram go for arround 4gb system ram

an AMD cpu will give you a lot more MHZ for your money than the intel but amd only use dual channel memory, intel tripple channel so the performance of an AMD cpu may not compare to the intel if your using it for numbercrunching apps. with dual core+ cpu's always look at the individual core speed of the CPU, not every game will be capable of running across more than 1 core

if thats the rig your trying to replace then you could upgrade the CPU to one of the 3ghx+ lines and graphics card to at least a 57xx or 58xx series, dont know how much ran you currently have but you may want tp bump it upto 4gb. if you replace the grphics card makesure your PSU is powerful enough
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-22-2010, 04:20 AM
agree with above you deffo want to get either a ati 4870 or one of the new 5770s both are prob aronud the same price at the moment but of course the 5 series has DX11 support

It really is worth saving up that extra bit of cash for a better Graphics card
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-22-2010, 04:21 AM
Well, if you're going to do it just make sure you do not neglect your cooling solution!
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-22-2010, 04:22 AM
LOL nice
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-22-2010, 04:49 AM
In all fairness to the OP,I never seen him say anywhere in his post he was building the system.

OP would be best if you said what budget you were on,other than that the system you have in shown looks like it will run the game,if it is a pre-made system then maybe you could spend a bit more and have a better graphic card in there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-22-2010, 04:52 AM
ya im building a new system the op was what im thinking about geting
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Then you really have to go deeper,you never mentioned what PSU you were using(the most important part and most over looked part of a pc),also your cooling,etc.

Also your budget.

I have to agree with the 1st response since you are building your own,you should be able to determine if the system you are building will run this game without having to ask.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinhealer
Then you really have to go deeper,you never mentioned what PSU you were using(the most important part and most over looked part of a pc),also your cooling,etc.

Also your budget.

I have to agree with the 1st response since you are building your own,you should be able to determine if the system you are building will run this game without having to ask.
You haven’t had to build a pc on your own then have you? For some one who’s never built one it can be extremely confusing oh the system requirements yeah well the system requirements are confusing as it is, so you will have to forgive me if I ask you to take your trolling to some other part of the forums and if you wouldn’t mind take your flame pet Sulda with you.