Lt. Commander
# 11
01-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Those specs will *run* the game, and probably run it at decent settings, too. But there are more things to consider than the base specs when building a computer from scratch:
  • Is the case long enough (horizontally) for my graphics card(s) to fit?
  • Can I fit all of my hard disks in the available drive bays?
  • Does the PSU provide enough wattage for all of my components to run, overall, and with a significant margin for error because I'm playing high-end games?
  • Does the PSU provide enough amperage on the PCI-E +12V rail(s) to run my GPU at 100% utilization?
  • Does the PSU have the right connectors to support my GPU (PCI-E 2.0 requires different sized connectors than PCI-E 1.x)?
  • Can my motherboard and CPU support the clock speed and spec revision (DDR, DDR2, DDR3, etc) of the RAM I'm buying?
  • Does my motherboard have the right socket for my CPU, and explicitly claim support for this particular CPU model?
  • Does my case have excessive amounts of cooling to compensate for running high-end games?
  • Are all of the components I'm buying supported on the operating system I'm using?
  • Is the warranty for all of the components I'm buying, acceptable to me?
  • For the CPU, what's more important for my workload: sequential performance or parallelism? (Hint: games need sequential performance most of all, usually)
  • Does my CPU support the workload I expect? (Hint: high clock rates suggest fast sequential performance, but more CPU cores don't get you very much for gaming)
  • Does my GPU support the latest DirectX and OpenGL specifications, so I won't have to run out and buy a new card in a year or two? (Hint: only the Radeon HD5000 series currently supports DirectX 11)
  • Does my GPU have at least 1GB of video memory (VRAM)? (This is the minimum I'd recommend for a gaming PC being bought new in 2010.)

There are probably a few things I'm forgetting, but these are important issues to struggle with.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Picard View Post
You haven’t had to build a pc on your own then have you? For some one who’s never built one it can be extremely confusing oh the system requirements yeah well the system requirements are confusing as it is, so you will have to forgive me if I ask you to take your trolling to some other part of the forums and if you wouldn’t mind take your flame pet Sulda with you.
I never look down on people asking others for opinions/advice, it can be confusing. that being said, if you are unsure of what you are doing then let someone else build your rig, or get a friend who knows how to at least supervise you as you do it. or, if the friend is willing let them put everything together while you watch and have him tell you what he is doing, so you can learn for another time.

and yeah make sure your PSU is big enough, i would get the basic needs of all your pieces and then add 200 watts or if you don't want to do the math at least look at the recommended size for the video card and add 200 watts (each part in a PC has a recommended wattage to "set aside" for it when considering a PSU size to be proper you would add all these up for a PSU then add in the extra overage for expansion and safety margin)