Lieutenant
# 1 Constructive Criticism for PVP
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello all
I have been playing STO for about a year and have noticed that there are some major flaws in PVP both in mechanics and in interest factor as the prominent end game content. So I am starting this thread NOT as a bashing of the developers, but as a way to communicate ideas to improve end game content, to the developers. If you would like to contribute to this thread please post your ideas below and describe them in as much detail as possible to help the developers understand what the problems are and how they can be addressed to make PVP more interesting, balanced and lucrative for us the gamers. (Please no discrediting of others ideas also we want to be as constructive as possible not have a slug match between rivals)

Many thanks and I look forward to reading all your ideas!!

-Pyro- (@CarbonBlack)
Career Officer
# 2 .
07-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Top 5 reasons pvp needs a revamp.

1) Bad experience, balance out of wack, new initiates get beaten badly.
2) No real rewards, no gear, no pvp rep etc.
3) Nothing to work towards (gear, prestige).
4) No leaderboard, ladder, rankings, stats.
5) Lack of maps, game modes.

First balance the game, then bring this idea over to STO:

TERRITORY CONTROL

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...84&postcount=1

OR

http://worldoftanks.com/clanwars/

There needs to be a persistent world that players can AFFECT outcomes. Fighting for a purpose. Fighting for glory, fighting for their team/clan/fleet. This hooks gamers and can bring bags of money to cryptic.
Our fleets: REDWING (fed), DOQ TEL SUVWI'S (kdf)
FED TIER 4 STARBASE TIER 3 EMBASSY, TIER 3 DIL MINE, TIER 3 SPIRE KDF TIER 4 STARBASE TIER 3 EMBASSY, TIER 3 DIL MINE. TIER 2 SPIRE Community website: redwingfleet.com
RECRUITING TO OUR GAMING COMMUNITY msg @animusrevertendi
Career Officer
# 3
07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
As Discussed in OPvP full 3D Engine for Space Flight would be Awesome, with obvious Issues needing Address such as Dorsil and Ventril sheilding, but this is just to get the ball rolling.

Lag Industries Head of Department - Fleet Project Management
PvP Boot Camp Coach
STO - Will PvP For Food - Official OPVP Channel <-Click Me
/channel_join OrganizedPvP
Career Officer
# 4
07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by animusredwing View Post
Just an FYI (I am a territorial control fan myself), it appears the liks in the original message are broken.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
First and foremost, a 1v1 queue is worth considering.

Right now, when you PvP via the queues, chances are you just run with a bad team vs a good team, and then whatever you do is essentially irrelevant for the outome of the match (and likewise in the opposite case). When people PvP for the first time, this leads them to be frustrated and never repeat the experience. A 1v1 queue would elimitate the "bad team buddies" reason, and allows for better comparison of one's own abilities to that of others. Besides, 1v1 encounters are what happen in Star Trek (the TV shows) most of the time, at least in space.

Next thing is: More Open PvP in limited zones, Ker'rat style. I find this so obvious that I can hardly imagine anyone objecting to it, not even the devs. One such map provides entertainment in STO for each player for months - it is just enormously productive to make more such maps - an wouldn't it be cool be iot it of adventure zone size, with various PvE activities

When these two things have been done, one can think about matching systems, rankings and such to have the queues produce more balanced results - but I find this less necessary than the previous two things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Career Officer
# 6
07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm a recent convert to PvP, and have been trying to recruit players from the fleet to join me.. and generally I get the same reaction animusredwing references in #1 of his list.

Quote:
1) Bad experience, balance out of wack, new initiates get beaten badly.
The PvP Bootcamp helped me tremendously (and something I would recommend to anybody thinking about PvP), as did some experienced PvP Fleets... had some really in depth build discussions with 2 Panda's that were insanely helpful.

The queue games, more often than not, end in a one sided victory (15-0 rapid blowouts). New players can be very discouraged by that (especially if you are on the losing end). To that end, I think that with other level gated missions, you should be grouped with individuals in your PvP skill range.

Honestly, this needs to be a whole seperate system, possibly rep system that unlocks progressively higher levels of PvP queues), and potentially locks lower levels queues from a high skileld pvp'er (or a average of the "team" that is queuing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by animusredwing View Post

http://worldoftanks.com/clanwars/

There needs to be a persistent world that players can AFFECT outcomes. Fighting for a purpose. Fighting for glory, fighting for their team/clan/fleet. This hooks gamers and can bring bags of money to cryptic.

it would be awesome if we had territory control like in worldoftanks, so fleets could control zones
http://worldoftanks.eu/clanwars/maps/
Career Officer
# 8
07-23-2013, 03:06 PM
WorldOfSTO Territory Control, FvK, FvF/KVK Practice Zones etc...

Actual Decent Rewards for Controling a Zone, possible Rolling rewards for controlling it for a lengthy period of time? I dunno, brainstorming.
Career Officer
# 9
07-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkadmiral View Post
The queue games, more often than not, end in a one sided victory (15-0 rapid blowouts). New players can be very discouraged by that (especially if you are on the losing end). To that end, I think that with other level gated missions, you should be grouped with individuals in your PvP skill range.
Generally i found this to Encourage me more, the more i got mad, the more i wanted to win, i knew why i wasn't winning though, so i went for the 1v1 option and actually gained some head way.
Captain
# 10
07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
maybe beginner pvp queue where you would be disqualified if you have either above a certain gear score or x amount of pvp matches already completed.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions