Rihannsu
# 11
06-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't see how a level cap increase will benefit the players of this game.

If you increase the levels and throw more skill points and another trait at the characters, you trivialize all of the high-end game content just a bit more than all this high-end rep gear has.

So I'll make this prophecy here and now:

if/when the level cap increase comes, there will be a lot more players "winning" the "No-Win" scenario.

And still others will come back complaining about how trivially easy the already casually-easy game has become.

I would much rather see us all get busted back down to Captain and stay there until we get crushed under a falling walkway or something.
Empire Veteran
# 12
06-25-2013, 02:06 AM
afraid this might break somethings even more related to game mechanics
Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

Starfleet Veteran
# 13
06-25-2013, 02:38 AM
--I think it's about time. A lot of games see multiple increases, and nothing horrifying happens. Scaling is always present in the game, anyway. I think we need to top off the rank system and get the last 10 done with. All we are missing is full Admirals. Also, the "5 Star" Admirals... they aren't a traditional rank in the system. Only one person would get that, and it would have to be in a time of major crisis. So it would stop at 4. I digress.

--I'm sure it would take a while to re tune things, but it's not impossible if others can do it with relative frequency. There just has to be a lot of planning and modification. If it can be executed well, then I see no issue bringing this to the game.

Playing Since: October 28, 2009
Republic Veteran
# 14
06-25-2013, 02:41 AM
To the supporters of this:

Why do we need a level cap increase? We can still add new content and gameplay mechanics without one. I don't see how it would fix anything.

"MMO x y and z have level cap increases" is not a valid reason by the way.

And if the rank name bothers you so much then ask for a rename. Dropping the world Vice is not worth an entire shakeup of the existing metagame.
# 15
06-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjunior View Post
It's not like we really need a level cap increase to begin with..... Cryptic might need it though.

The reason MMO's tend to have them is to devalue previous gear and have the players grind more stuff. The way things are in STO right now, that doesn't really work well. New Tier of ships ? Epic Rage about obsolete purchases..... New tier for the rep system to get higher leveled special gear ? I'm sure people would love to do it all again and pay even more for new upgraded items...
I'd have to agree with qjunior, I don't think STO really needs to increase the level cap. What would be the point? They've got the new Tier system. And in fact, if you do all those Tiers, the romulan one and the borg one, you gain much more than what other games offer, I think.

If they need to do anything, it's create an installable Foundry program.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
06-25-2013, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
To the supporters of this:

Why do we need a level cap increase? We can still add new content and gameplay mechanics without one. I don't see how it would fix anything.

"MMO x y and z have level cap increases" is not a valid reason by the way.

And if the rank name bothers you so much then ask for a rename. Dropping the world Vice is not worth an entire shakeup of the existing metagame.
--Progress is made in a multitude of ways. I was not suggesting the only way that the game will be prosperous is to increase the cap, and I never said it was needed. Usually, cap increases are the result of new expansions, so I half expected Romulus to have one. It did not, but there's really not a huge deal.
--It would be nice to mess with the metagame, though. Nothing better than changing things up, y'know. I don't mind a little chaos.

Republic Veteran
# 17
06-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseweart View Post
It would be nice to mess with the metagame, though. Nothing better than changing things up, y'know. I don't mind a little chaos.
Not to sound rude, but I imagine you are rather in the minority on that one. For the same reason why major changes like the EptX one were reversed to preserve the builds and strategies that people had already worked hard, and in some cases, spent real cash on.

If you want a little chaos, delete your toons and re-roll...
# 18
06-25-2013, 04:28 AM
--That's not chaos, that's lost progress. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll pass. Not quite the same idea here.

Captain
# 19
06-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseweart View Post
Scaling is always present in the game, anyway.

This is pretty much why I am not in favour of raising the level cap. It wouldn't mean jack in terms of gameplay, it would just void the value of the current top-tier ships, without giving much of anything in return.

I support adding content, yes, but in my view something like that wouldn't be adding content. We can clearly have added content as it is, as we've been receiving max level content already.

*shrug*

Why bother, when the time and money can be spent on things that actually improve the gameplay experience?
Captain
# 20
06-25-2013, 05:08 AM
nothing against level cap increase if, no new tier of ships, MK XIII gear, are added.
simply more skillpoints and a new captain power would be nice, but honestly not needed.
Go pro or go home