Captain
# 141
07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masopw View Post
I'm glad that I clicked on that link to check out these Literary Challenges...I look forward to future entries, and hope that you don't mind if I contribute if I can.
Welcome to the challenges, and contribute as much as you like. For the most part i think people have posted, either in earlier stories or elsewhere on the forums, why they're crew is like they are. For my own personal stories, My actual played character is Wraith (my engineer character is also my Chief engineer). I had made the character back before being accepted into beta, but had to change some things when the origin story was done pretty much as the tutorial

*TUTORIAL SPOILER ALERT*
As a genetically engineered supersoldier, there was no way to become a starfleet officer let alone captain unless command was assumed and proven under combat. Needless to say with the borg invasion of the colony as part of Captain Donovan's backstory, i had to change the name of the colony, but that was about it, so from there i decided that it would be best to change some things around so it didn't look like i was copying the tutorial so closely so i made the choice to leave him alive rather than kill him for wraith to assume command, but honestly it was the best decision as he's become such a big part of the crew.

If you ever find the down time and feel like reading more of these, you can always go back to the older posts. Mine start at 11 and are a little tough to read, but they get better and they follow a linear storyline marked by their Star Date.

So again welcome to the challenges and thank you for the feedback.
Rihannsu
# 142
07-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
That was a really nice entry, it really showed that the Trek is all about the characters and their interpersonal relationships, not just technobabble and pew pew Actually, that is probably why you got Nabokov as a result, as his work reflects as much on individuals interactions and motivations, as their actions.
Thanks! I like to think that a great story comes from good characters, so that's how I tend to approach my entries to the LC's.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 143
07-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
Thanks! I like to think that a great story comes from good characters, so that's how I tend to approach my entries to the LC's.
Any time And absolutely, even the best plot falls down without good characters
Ensign
# 144
07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, mine is done.

Always wondered what my bridge officers did while they were off-duty, so here we go.
Idealist.
Lt. Commander
# 145
07-04-2013, 07:24 PM
@ ironphoenix113 - I find it interesting that you frequently write happy romantic pieces while I frequently write depressing ones where people's relationships are broken. Your stuff is much more positive and optimistic than mine!

@ asardetemplari - referring to J'mpok as "Jimmy" is funny. Here's a suggestion - having the narrator say "I" in the battle scenes when he/she is talking about a ship is confusing. The narrator didn't physically ram the Scimitar - he/she had the ship ram the Scimitar. The sentences below would make more sense if you substituted "I" with something more appropriate, like the ship's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asardetemplari View Post
I had the Chel Grett scout ahead while the Prometheus and I were busy with or separation sequences...

Then I ordered the Prometheus, the saucer and I to directly engage the Scimitar as the Chel Grett fired the energy dissipator. ...In a last ditch effort, I rammed the other Scimitar, killing the command crew of the large warbird. That's actually what killed my crew.
Captain
# 146
07-04-2013, 09:52 PM
So, I'm happy to report that I had more writing time than I had before this week. A big part of it was that one of my family members was in hospital for a week (she's okay now), and in addition to all of the stress around that, it became my sole responsibility to take care of the family dog during that time.

If I do manage to write something, it will have to be something short and to the point. I'm also still trying to finish off the piece of Arkos and crew getting a new ship (and being the king of indecision that I am, I'm stuck trying to decide between my in-game heavy cruiser and assault cruiser for the LC's, and whether or not to add a certain crew member that I know none of the rest of the crew will like at all...)

I haven't had the opportunity to read that many entries, but from the few I have read:

shevet: Wonderfully described battle scenes! I liked the buildup to the whole operation, and especially liked the way you wrote Kophil and and Amiga, and Tylha herself, as usual, was a source of wonderfully detailed narration and character depth. The overall battle was great, and I like the bit of reveal you gave for Tylha's backstory near the end. Overall, great job!

patrickngo: Yay, more of Enrico Montoya! I actually like that you went out of your way to write a piece explaining how and why Drake Tran eventually joined the Maquis. Its a very nice prequel to all of your other stories.

superhombre777: Interesting twist at the end there! Although I had mixed feelings towards Hillel throughout the whole story-- on the one hand, I felt sorry for him going through that whole futile time on Bajor because of his experience in the wormhole, but on the other hand, I felt it a bit selfish that he had to drag his wife and daughter through the whole ordeal as well.

danquelier: Nice to see more of your Romulan crew! Very nice description of Risa, and I like the way you set up the conflict between Tosik and Rycho. Though more than anything else, I'm now more curious about Xa'Jev and the Meguli species as a whole.
Ensign
# 147
07-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Finally got my entry finished. Took the advice I was given and wrote it in notepad this time, and made sure my scene divisions stayed intact.
Rihannsu
# 148
07-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
@ ironphoenix113 - I find it interesting that you frequently write happy romantic pieces while I frequently write depressing ones where people's relationships are broken. Your stuff is much more positive and optimistic than mine!
Heh, I've got more than a few ideas for entries that would be much less optimistic.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 149
07-05-2013, 07:44 AM
I think this one is kind of a cheat on my part, It's written as the first entry from but not with my KDF captain, but at the same time it heavily involves my Federation character. Either way it follows in the recent storyline i've been doing. I like to keep it all linear. Anyway this entry brings it more into an action episode. Please let me know what you guys think.
Captain
# 150
07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesight View Post
Finally got my entry finished. Took the advice I was given and wrote it in notepad this time, and made sure my scene divisions stayed intact.
An excellent wrap to the previous entry Although Dylen was rather well behaved this time...