Rihannsu
# 181
07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
@ironphoenix - very nice way to check in a little on Bryan's crew and his own relationships. I was expecting to see Risa though...
Thanks! I really rather enjoyed writing an entry that focused more on the crew of the Athena when off duty rather than my usual entries. As for Risa, maybe some other time. Bryan is not the type that hangs around on a planet that much
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 182
07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
But as the adult he was in a position to decisively curb inappropriate behavior that (IMHO) was rooted in a childhood psychological condition that should have instead been treated.
What can I say, Marcus had his flaws... I don't think he would ever deny that, indeed, I would love to see Counsellor ch'Raul go a few rounds with him.

Quote:
The imprinting did occur while she was a minor even if the actual act occurred after the age of majority, after all.
Not by Pentaxian standards though... Had she been an average Pentaxian, it would have been totally normal for her to bond to someone at that age. Not quite a betrothal/arranged marriage like some cultures due to no parental selection, but certainly a comparable social convention. As you pointed out with Alyosha's comparative youth when he was emancipated... Although I hadn't realised it previously, once I read that, a five year developmental variance is the only explanation for Ch'K'rr and S'rR's' cognitive states at those ages...

Quote:
You definitely do not want me to get into that discussion, and I don't think Branflakes would like it either. ;-)
I read it once over fifteen years ago (wasn't overly impressed) and wouldn't particularly want to again, I was just comparing Dolores and Siri as being similarly manipulative

Quote:
Alyosha believes (incorrectly) that I'sH'd's evident dislike was of a professional nature: he thinks I'sH'd sees Siri as a draft dodger or otherwise disloyal, for choosing Starfleet over the Pentaxian Militia. He disagrees with the idea that she's a traitor, but can at least understand where someone belonging to an insular "nation" might have come to such a view.

So no worries, as long as this misperception stays uncorrected, about Alyosha condemning I'sH'd. ;-)

If he found out it was (as he would perceive it) unquestioned racism, I think he would be disappointed if I'sH'd did not work to overcome instinct with intellect.
That's certainly fair enough, I do think though, that if Alyosha has a flaw, it would be holding others to his own standards, especially on a subject he has absolutely no knowledge or even true comprehension of, rather than truly leaving it to God to judge

Quote:
Not sure who initially told Mrs. Azarov--if it was Alyosha, or a tabloid. Something tells me Kane's actions would've been major tabloid fodder...I figured it was all over the media and wrote on that assumption.
Ahh, now that would actually make sense, due to the status of the Kane family... It would be like the head of Audi or Lockhead doing something scandalous and it winding up in the 'local chip wrapper'

Quote:
Indeed. If I ever write the Board of Inquiry proper, I may have to ask a relative who is familiar with Air Force accident investigation procedures.
Definitely a good source I just googled stuff relating to US Navy codes, and eventually found a heavily redacted transcript which provided the appropriate legalese ^_^

Last edited by marcusdkane; 07-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Captain
# 183
07-08-2013, 03:14 PM
It's nice to see that newly-promoted (in-game, not yet in-story) Admiral Grunt is inspiring so many young Ferengi to follow his example...

(In-story, I'm working on a concept involving Grunt and company having to keep the Hephaestus after the Klingon attack on the Utopia Planitia shipyards; I just need a hook for the story itself...)
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 184
07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Well, I had no further use for her, and killing her meant one less loose end for Drake to tie up later, and I was killing so many people already...
Thanks to Vulcan longevity, she could make an appearance in any number of ways in a historic piece This was the rationale I used when mentioning Xon. A young man in Kirk's era, he'd only be middle-aged by Vulcan standards As for Drake's loose ends, I kinda gave him another
Captain
# 185
07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Thanks. Once I thought of him, I really had to formally introduce Brax as a character. You will definitely be seeing more of him in future LC's.
Definitely, it's good to see a character who plays against type, but also nice to see a character so developed/realised that they. Project a persona from the page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassadormolari View Post
Also, currently reading your/Superhombre's/sander's post. Will comment as soon as I'm done.
I hope you'll enjoy it, and will certainly look forward to your feedback
Captain
# 186
07-08-2013, 04:44 PM
<3 Garibaldi. One of the better characters in modern TV sci-fi imo.

Thank you for the kind feedback. I really enjoy this part of the game.

@malkarris - All the ? took away from enjoying reading this piece unfortunately. Regardless, I agree that it is a great way to explain all the Tovan's in the galaxy

@ccmurphy - Welcome to the LCs! For posterity, line breaks keeps your work from being a wall-o-text. I enjoy tie-ins to game or movie/TV events so the end bit was fun to read

@ironphoenix113 - You know ... I never thought about the idea that the Captain may not have had a chance to survey their own ship! This piece sparked some ideas for Kathryn and the Solaris. You always seem to bring out some romance no matter how exciting or mundane. I actually said, "aww" in the break room as I finished this one.

@asardetemplari - You know, it's work like this one that make me want to fly a Galaxy-class in-game. Actually, the Gal-X to be precise ... the imagery of the Spinal Lance is VERY appealing to me. It's a shame Cryptic is not doing something more to these ships to keep a complaint-thread out of sight.

@sodin3 - Sooo, never met a Betazoid eh? Yeah man, write more about that!

@flightofcrimson - This was good comedy! The introductory paragraph had me glued to the rest of the piece. Well done!

Working on the rest!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lt. Commander
# 187
07-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Cutting it close to the deadline, but here is my piece of free-writing, a collaboration between myself and superhombre777, with additional input from sander233 I shall be removing the random *s after a good night's sleep...
That worked out really well. I'm satisfied!
Rihannsu
# 188
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
@ironphoenix113 - You know ... I never thought about the idea that the Captain may not have had a chance to survey their own ship! This piece sparked some ideas for Kathryn and the Solaris. You always seem to bring out some romance no matter how exciting or mundane. I actually said, "aww" in the break room as I finished this one.
Heh, thanks Captains are generally pretty busy, what with running the ship and all. And, given that Bryan is an Admiral, he'll have even more to do during the day. That said, I actually borrowed the idea from Babylon 5 (I forget which season) but Sheridan at the end of an episode says something along the lines of "You know, in all the time I've been here, I've never walked the entire length of this station." Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 189
07-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
That worked out really well.
It did indeed I wanted to leave Alice active for future use, but at least now Command will be notified of her true nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
I'm satisfied!
Likewise Thanks for suggesting it and your contributions, I think without them, the board of inquiry would have really dragged
Captain
# 190
07-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
It did indeed I wanted to leave Alice active for future use, but at least now Command will be notified of her true nature
Just so long as some Iconian supervirus doesn't leave her in Rampancy.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."