Commander
# 11
06-30-2013, 07:53 PM
or since the game is, you know, free to play and all....

you could just try and run the game? If it loads up and you can play it, then guess what?
Commander
# 12
07-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
or since the game is, you know, free to play and all....

you could just try and run the game? If it loads up and you can play it, then guess what?
ok, but downloading the launcher and patching to update takes a lot of time.
this is not a flame, if you consider it a flame, i apologize. it is not meant as such.

LLAP, everyone.
Captain
# 13
07-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie564 View Post
I do know how. i just want to make this easier for people who aren't as computer literate as some others. i just seemed like a good idea.
If you're not really computer literate enough to understand the minimum requirements for a computer game. Should you really be playing one?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Cryptic Studios Team
# 14
07-01-2013, 08:54 AM
I can't imagine we would make a tool to determine if you're capable of playing the game or not.

The game already kind of serves that purpose.

I will say that we go out of our way to make sure the game will run on older, less powerful systems (even laptops with integrated graphics cards), so whatever your system is, it's likely STO will run on it. Now, it may not be the prettiest game ever, but start at the lowest graphics settings, and up them step by step to see what works for you.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 15
07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I can't imagine we would make a tool to determine if you're capable of playing the game or not.

The game already kind of serves that purpose.

I will say that we go out of our way to make sure the game will run on older, less powerful systems (even laptops with integrated graphics cards), so whatever your system is, it's likely STO will run on it. Now, it may not be the prettiest game ever, but start at the lowest graphics settings, and up them step by step to see what works for you.
Are the graphical engines set differently on NvW and STO? I ask because it seems to work in the reverse for NvW. Many people I know had better luck with NVW running smoother at HIGHER settings whereas those same people they play STO say it runs better at recommended or lower settings.
Career Officer
# 16
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
One thing about STO is that it seems to be fairly forgiving about system requirements. I have run the game on several computers that are below the minimum system requirements. Two of them ran the game just fine, and the game was quite smooth when I used the "Half Resolution" option.

Another computer was much farther below the minimum specifications (being a single Core processor) and I was surprised to find that the ships and effects ran fine, but the User Interface was sluggish.

Out of curiosity I used one of those sites that scans your computer to see if it meets the system requirements and it reported that my Laptop that I had been running the game on for years wasn't actually supposed to be able to run it.
Commander
# 17
07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker73a View Post
One thing about STO is that it seems to be fairly forgiving about system requirements. I have run the game on several computers that are below the minimum system requirements. Two of them ran the game just fine, and the game was quite smooth when I used the "Half Resolution" option.

Another computer was much farther below the minimum specifications (being a single Core processor) and I was surprised to find that the ships and effects ran fine, but the User Interface was sluggish.

Out of curiosity I used one of those sites that scans your computer to see if it meets the system requirements and it reported that my Laptop that I had been running the game on for years wasn't actually supposed to be able to run it.
you're right there. it has VERY forgiving Requirements.
this is not a flame, if you consider it a flame, i apologize. it is not meant as such.

LLAP, everyone.