Starfleet Veteran
# 11
06-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Hmmmm i used the support button on this website and then the contact us button.
Commander
# 12
06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Quote:
refer to the newly owned account as 'my' account (since it IS yours now)
Exactly. Just use your friend's account, with his info. Period. Nothing wrong or even 'less than honest' about it.

If I will you my car, or give you the keys and say you can use it, you can't get arrested for theft if you use it, even if the title isn't in your name. (Well, you probably could get arrested, but you'd get kicked at arraignment)

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
06-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Hmm

firstly his sub has lapsed (lifetime means lifetime)
secondly do not claim to be him (that's a tos breach and also illegal)
Finally you by posting on this forum told them everything they need to know to see that
Republic Veteran
# 14
06-26-2013, 02:13 PM
To the Op,

While i feel for your loss, you have a near hopeless cause. Unless you can receive emails from his original email account, and then can log into the support site and change the email, your about doomed because of the Account Guard that Cryptic added to each account.

Your only option is to try to go through Cryptics support system..and we all know how bad that is......good luck...god bless
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Empire Veteran
# 15
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1derfull1 View Post
Exactly. Just use your friend's account, with his info. Period. Nothing wrong or even 'less than honest' about it.

If I will you my car, or give you the keys and say you can use it, you can't get arrested for theft if you use it, even if the title isn't in your name. (Well, you probably could get arrested, but you'd get kicked at arraignment)
Problem with that analogy is that the car is a physical item, Cryptic provide a service not physical goods. It's more like you trying to leave your cable service to someone in your will.
The contract is between you and the service provider and they are usually non-transferable, best read the EULA to check but my guess would be it isn't allowed.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
06-26-2013, 02:21 PM
First, sorry for your loss, that sucks..

Second... you have the username... password... email... whats the problem? If it's Cryptics account guard, there are ways around that... if not, login, enjoy :-)
Captain
# 17
06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorga113 View Post
Problem with that analogy is that the car is a physical item, Cryptic provide a service not physical goods. It's more like you trying to leave your cable service to someone in your will.
The contract is between you and the service provider and they are usually non-transferable, best read the EULA to check but my guess would be it isn't allowed.
i believe that accounts are NON-TRANSFERABLE according to the EULA

Now that you have made yourself and this situation known on the forum - I would highly suggest not doing anything that violates Cryptic policies - unless they give you written permission. Your own account status could be put at risk if you to circumvent Cryptic's policies. If you do not hear anything through this thread you can try to contact Brandon the community mod - he might be able to assist. Don't listen to anyone telling you to just go ahead and use his account.
Captain
# 18
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardocian View Post
First, sorry for your loss, that sucks..

Second... you have the username... password... email... whats the problem? If it's Cryptics account guard, there are ways around that... if not, login, enjoy :-)
Fellow posters - encouraging someone to circumvent Cryptic policies and do things against the Terms of service is probably frowned apon - HIGHLY!!
Captain
# 19
06-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Sharing of accounts is not allowed in any MMO. If you have a copy of his last will then they may allow the transfer of purchased items to your account then close his account but they may not even allow that. Chances are you will either end up dropping it as a lost cause or will need a lawyer to get anything done about transfering account ownership over. One you lose the account the other costs you allot of money but PW will give you the account without court battles.
Commander
# 20
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
From the TOS (edited for length):
Quote:
Subject to these Terms and any applicable EULA, PWE grants to you, for your noncommercial and personal use only, a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, nontransferable and nonsublicensable license to access and use the Service and the Proprietary Materials

Except as expressly permitted in these Terms or in the applicable EULA, such license does not include, and you agree not to engage in, any: (a) resale, sublicense, lending or commercial use of the Services or the Proprietary Materials therein; ...This license is revocable at any time with or without cause.... You are solely responsible for all activities and transactions that occur under your Account, and PWE is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your account, including without limitation in the event that your password is stolen or revealed to a third party. You agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your Account or any other breach of security in relation to the Website...
So point 1 is that the license to access the service is non-transferrable. I believe the point could be made that allowing a friend to sign on your account with your information with your consent is not transferring the license. The license stays with the account or account holder. I would also argue that as an account holder in his own right, the OP already has a license to access the service, and is using his own license to do so, albeit under a friend's account. Finally I would point out that his friend did not resell, sublicense, lend or get commercial use out of the transfer.

Point 2 is that there is zero mention of transferring account ownership or use in the account section of the TOS. In fact, it specifically references 'unauthorized use' ie, use that the account owner did not authorize. Meaning, de facto, that there can be use that the account owner does authorize.

However, as is stated multiple times, multiple ways in the TOS PWE/Cryptic can close/suspend any account at any time for any reason, so there's that.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.