Lieutenant
# 1 Please Rescale all Ships
06-26-2013, 03:19 PM
I am wondering if cryptic would like to spend some time to rescale all the ships and stations in the game to be inline with what they should be. So the shuttles are small the cruisers are huge.

If people are afraid that it will effect PVP (because lets face it we all pvp all the time) then why not just put on an adition to the UI that puts a nice big sensor box around small ships so you can target them easier

either way I vote for realistic scaled starships and shuttles.
Career Officer
# 2
06-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewark View Post
I am wondering if cryptic would like to spend some time to rescale all the ships and stations in the game to be inline with what they should be. So the shuttles are small the cruisers are huge.

If people are afraid that it will effect PVP (because lets face it we all pvp all the time) then why not just put on an adition to the UI that puts a nice big sensor box around small ships so you can target them easier

either way I vote for realistic scaled starships and shuttles.
Considering the scales varied WILDLY from visual effects shot to visual effects shot in the TV shows and films themselves (even the makers stated "we went for what looked good on the screen" - and since only what's appeared on screen in TV or Film is canon - and there's been PLENTY of conjecture as to the size of the various ships and Starbases -- and in the end, no real definitive canon source exists -- just how would they go about this?
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 3
06-26-2013, 03:46 PM
I think Cryptic addressed this once way way back when they were re doing DS9, I think they said if they made it to scale, it would be like the size of a planet or something and then every ship in game would have to get redone to accommodate the new scale.
Career Officer
# 4
06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Ships are getting a bit big or ESD is getting a bit small. ESD needs to be Vault sized, imo.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Career Officer
# 5
06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Generally speaking, the full-size ships are pretty accurately in-scale with one another.

The shuttles have been acknowledged by the devs to be oversized, lest they be completely invisible. Again, they are in scale with one another, just not with the full-sized ships.

DS9 and other stations are obviously way out of scale, but the devs have stated they believe the current size to be the one that "feels right" in terms of gameplay, especially in a social zone when there are 20 or 30 ships clustered around the station.

I don't completely agree with that last point, but there you have it.
Republic Veteran
# 6
06-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Ships are getting a bit big or ESD is getting a bit small. ESD needs to be Vault sized, imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZ4i8aWs_s

Ensign
# 7
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
I too think the ship sizes are too off to ignore. I'm leveling my Romulan (tac) and my level 40 tactical ship is 4 times wider than an Excelsior and twice as long. My ship is almost 50 times larger than a Defiant. But the ship sizes have been bugging me since my level 20 ship. I think most of the new Romulan ships are just too large. Ship pile up has become an issue. When they get stuck in a pile, it actually takes some time before it will work it's way clear. I was saddened to pull up to a Sovereign class in my D'deridx to see my warbird was way bigger. Also, the cochrine pet ship is twice as big as my delta flyer pet. I understand the position there tho, this one is just funny.
Commander
# 8
06-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Of all the bugs our game has this is what causes you concern? Really? Honestly. I suggest focusing on something more productive.
Captain
# 9
06-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupp99 View Post
I too think the ship sizes are too off to ignore. I'm leveling my Romulan (tac) and my level 40 tactical ship is 4 times wider than an Excelsior and twice as long. My ship is almost 50 times larger than a Defiant. But the ship sizes have been bugging me since my level 20 ship. I think most of the new Romulan ships are just too large. Ship pile up has become an issue. When they get stuck in a pile, it actually takes some time before it will work it's way clear. I was saddened to pull up to a Sovereign class in my D'deridx to see my warbird was way bigger. Also, the cochrine pet ship is twice as big as my delta flyer pet. I understand the position there tho, this one is just funny.
That's because the D'deridex is canonically HUGE. Just look at the Star Trek section of this chart to see how the sizes you just complained about are accurate.

http://www.loganotron.com/wp-content...comparison.gif
Career Officer
# 10
06-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman650 View Post
I think Cryptic addressed this once way way back when they were re doing DS9, I think they said if they made it to scale, it would be like the size of a planet or something and then every ship in game would have to get redone to accommodate the new scale.
Quite the opposite. DS9 would be very small. All the ships crowded around it in the instance would dwarf the station. You would have a hard time seing it.
Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes?  Read my posts below.
Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile