Captain
# 21
06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
I believe they don't rise to the challenge bc they don't have to. Make the difficulty increase with repeated missions, how many active days you've played and don't give it to whining for nerfs bc they don't want to use a tac team.
They'll walk away...taking their wallets with them. Cryptic knows how to get their bread buttered...
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Career Officer
# 22
06-27-2013, 11:34 AM
You may be right but for me personally if I didn't PvP I couldn't imagine spending money bc as previously said you could do everything in this game PVE wise with just free ships and equipment.

Catch 22 is an appropriate thread title
Captain
# 23
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
You may be right but for me personally if I didn't PvP I couldn't imagine spending money bc as previously said you could do everything in this game PVE wise with just free ships and equipment.

Catch 22 is an appropriate thread title
For me, the PvP thing goes well beyond that. I don't do Ground (which is not necessarily Cryptic's fault - plenty of folks do Ground and enjoy it...both PvE and PvP) nor do I do Shuttle, so I'm looking at the following:

Gorn/Fed Minefield
SB24 (Fed)
CCE
SFD
F/KSB
FFA/KFA
NWS
CSE
ISE
HOE
KVE
ANR
VE

For the most part, each and every time those are done - they're going to be the same.

That's not a Cryptic/STO issue. That's a Dungeon/Raid Progression issue. I find it tedious.

PvP on the other hand (PUG), and you'll never know what you've got or what you're facing. It's a new adventure every time. It's endless content. Yes, it could do with more maps/choices to keep things a little more varied, but it's endless content at its core.

It's always what has kept me in a game the longest since the MMO market shifted back around 2005-2006 to the more casual player as home broadband became more available to the masses.

Cryptic knows they've got the space PvP thing going for them - they're not competing against EVE there, that's like apples and oranges. They can do the casual pew pew funtastic PvP thing...as long as it will show a return on the investment.

Which puts them in that definite catch-22...when it comes to PvP. PvE? Sure, keep selling more and more powerful stuff to folks...nifty ROI. PvP though?

I honestly believe Geko wants more for PvP, but it's a case of having to look at it from a business point of view as well. Thus, we've heard things about mixed PvE/PvP and all the rest. Ways in which he can get stuff out there for PvP while still getting a return on the investment. That mix of competitive PvE and PvP would be a potential angle to tackle that from...

...heh, outside of having folks pay to keep things out of PvP - how would they monetize PvP, eh?
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Rihannsu
# 24
06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Sat at work reading this thread and loving some of the idea's. thank you guys for making my shift go quicker. Cya in Kerrat the only pvp I do.
Captain
# 25
06-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
...but they do not add new, harder content for that gear progression to feed off of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

STO on the other hand, well - we're on what, Gear L and still on Content A? There's been additional Content A added, sure...but no Content B.
True , but "Content A" has been through at least a dozen difficulty tweaks (at least the STF's have) .
Thing is , ever since S.7 and the reputations & new Doffs -- those tweaks have not been keeping up with the power creep , enabling players to create such STF channels as DPS-5000 , and having the rumored ability to finish 3 space STF's in 15 minutes .

And unlike the Foundry Dilithium "cheat" or the FM "cheat" in NWS , Cryptic is not stepping in and say that "just because a player can do something , does not mean he should" .

Nope .
Things are just fine and dandy as far as what's going on , as long as we keep buying the next wave of power enhancing Doffs (new pack out now ! )
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .