Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 33
# 1 Kumari Set - Is it worth it?
06-25-2013, 10:41 AM
The title asks the question, but let me explain why I ask.

Recently I've gotten into STFs and I'm looking to maximize my potential in DPS. I do NOT have access to fleet ships, so those are out of the question. Currently I'm using a Chimera with Dual Heavies, a Quad Cannon, and Quantum up front, turrets in the back. I'm wondering if the price tag on the SET of Kumaris is worth it. If I buy, it'll be the set to maximize the benefits. So I'm looking for opinions on if the Kumari is a good buy. I should also mention I'm a Tac captain.

If anyone needs or asks for more info, I'll post that here too.
Trekking online since January 2010!

7th Joint Task Force
Third Reserve Flotilla
House of Sigma
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,754
# 2
06-25-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't see how set consoles maximize any benefits. There is no room and no need for 3 uni consoles on top of everything else you need, and the Kumaris are no exception. Pick the one ship that suits your style the most. Personally I would go with the Engi Charal. IMO no set is worth the zen.
______________________________________
www.srs-fleet.net
U.S.S. Indefatigable
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,728
# 3
06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
I disagree with smokey. the kumari set revolves around the wing cannons. if your going to use them, get the three pack, the wing cannon platforms, while weak on their own, when all three are equipped can use the sheild drain and the overload blast, which adds to your spike dps while they are active.


if you dont plan on keeping the wing cannons, then dont get the three pack.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 157
# 4
06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
IMHO, the Charal is the only one worth it because of the Eng console slots (more armor). You can keep the wing cannons (they do decent damage) without using any of the Andorian consoles; that gives you more space for damage and/or armor consoles. However, keep the cannons only if you'll keep using phaser weapons.
Captain Selek - Vulcan (TAC Lvl 50) - U.S.S. Chimera (Fleet Heavy Escort Carrier NCC-92810) / Captain Krell - Liberated Borg Klingon (TAC Lvl 50) - I.K.S. Nogh'Sar (Fleet Qin Heavy Raptor) / Commander Kel'ara Teerel - Romulan (ENG Lvl 50) - R.R.W. Silverhawk (Fleet T'Varo Light Warbird Retrofit) / Fed Fleet: Section 31 / KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence / Romulan Fleet (Fed): Romulan Intelligence / STO Handle: @ed583
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,328
# 5
06-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthehero View Post
IMHO, the Charal is the only one worth it because of the Eng console slots (more armor). You can keep the wing cannons (they do decent damage) without using any of the Andorian consoles; that gives you more space for damage and/or armor consoles. However, keep the cannons only if you'll keep using phaser weapons.
Only if you fly it wrong. I would stick with the full tactical monster and fly it with an Engineer. Especially after Grace Under Fire there is no NEED for all those armor consoles. Keep moving, keep your Defense Rating high, and you will be nearly invincible. This thing has plenty of hull and it can be plenty tough.


As for are the Consoles worth it? How about YES... The platforms add ANOTHER forward weapon that does not work off your weapon power levels. They can benefit from Cannon Rapid Fire and Scatter Volley which is sick. They also can use the special console powers which are rather powerful. Furthermore, it gives you a notable accuracy boost which anyone who does PvP will tell you is immensely important.

Furthermore, with the tactical version this ship has a full FIVE tactical consoles making it the second ship in the ENTIRE game you can get with FIVE tactical consoles without blowing a MASSIVE load of EC's or being in a fleet with a nice Shipyard.


But... More to the point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xIMXBsCnk
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,728
# 6
06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
Only if you fly it wrong. I would stick with the full tactical monster and fly it with an Engineer. Especially after Grace Under Fire there is no NEED for all those armor consoles. Keep moving, keep your Defense Rating high, and you will be nearly invincible. This thing has plenty of hull and it can be plenty tough.


As for are the Consoles worth it? How about YES... The platforms add ANOTHER forward weapon that does not work off your weapon power levels. They can benefit from Cannon Rapid Fire and Scatter Volley which is sick. They also can use the special console powers which are rather powerful. Furthermore, it gives you a notable accuracy boost which anyone who does PvP will tell you is immensely important.

Furthermore, with the tactical version this ship has a full FIVE tactical consoles making it the second ship in the ENTIRE game you can get with FIVE tactical consoles without blowing a MASSIVE load of EC's or being in a fleet with a nice Shipyard.


But... More to the point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xIMXBsCnk
along with the 5 forward weapons slots, currently the only ship in game to have that many.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 157
# 7
06-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
Only if you fly it wrong. I would stick with the full tactical monster and fly it with an Engineer.
Except that the OP stated that he's playing a Tac captain, which can be significant if he goes with the Kumari instead of the Charal.

As for the platforms, I personally dislike them because, in my own experience, they have behaved erratically and many times will not discharge and just float around doing nothing. But that's just me. Anyway, IIRC he gets the platforms console with the Charal, so OP would have to buy the 3-pack to use a Kumari + platforms.
Captain Selek - Vulcan (TAC Lvl 50) - U.S.S. Chimera (Fleet Heavy Escort Carrier NCC-92810) / Captain Krell - Liberated Borg Klingon (TAC Lvl 50) - I.K.S. Nogh'Sar (Fleet Qin Heavy Raptor) / Commander Kel'ara Teerel - Romulan (ENG Lvl 50) - R.R.W. Silverhawk (Fleet T'Varo Light Warbird Retrofit) / Fed Fleet: Section 31 / KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence / Romulan Fleet (Fed): Romulan Intelligence / STO Handle: @ed583
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 149
# 8
06-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthehero View Post
As for the platforms, I personally dislike them because, in my own experience, they have behaved erratically and many times will not discharge and just float around doing nothing. But that's just me. .
I have had similar thoughts about the platforms, seems like they don't shoot very often. Maybe every 4th or 5th time the wing cannons fire, maybe even less sometimes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 181
# 9
06-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I have this set. And I can say hell ya its worth it!

But if you get it be prepared to be a great pilot. Or you will die a lot. That being said It may be at present time with the right set up and consoles the highest DPS potential in the game. I have mine set as a glass cannon. With the best consoles and weapons I can find. These are a combination of fleet shields engines and some reputaion consoles along with fleet weapons and some reputaion weopons as well. If you do this build you will need to take advantage of every bonus you can find. Critique your stats to the max. From critical hit chance to critical severity. And get every kind of boost to weapons and weapon power levels and training you can get on your Bridge officers. I relent everything for weapon boosts of any kind. Lets just say things die really fast now. ANd in the Borg STFs it is very important you only attack at certain times. When you attack at tactical cube. Wait until others engage. Let some of your powers re-energize. Then you go in fast an hit it with everythin you got. Every boost and weapon type you have. And the very second you start to take any kind of real damage use you evasives to pull free.

It is very important to be patient with this set. If you attack when your buffs and weapon powers are low you will die fast.

Lets just say my only strategy with this set is the best defense is all offense. That being said you do have warp cores that give boosts to weapons and shields. It is your choice of you wish to go with the extra weapon boosts. Also you could get a deflector that gives you a little extra with shields as well. Tha along with shields that are 20% resistance to plasma weapons. I go with resilient shileds for the 5% bleed through part. Not the weakest or the strongest. But I am comforatable with them.

I do use the borg cutting beam and the Hyper plasma torpedo launcher.

I also use this set on my science captain. Lets just say it does OK for an escort as far as passable DPS. Nothing good but just passable. And this without a great set of weapons or respec.

A little more on my build. I do use a tac captain. ANd as far as the wing cannon go. I don't reply on them for a large part of my damage. But they are a nice bonus if you save them for you special attacks. And again with patience save everything for one attack. Wait for other to soften the the cubes up. Then go in full guns blazing!

Last edited by zztoppers; 06-25-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 400
# 10
06-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthehero View Post
Except that the OP stated that he's playing a Tac captain, which can be significant if he goes with the Kumari instead of the Charal.

As for the platforms, I personally dislike them because, in my own experience, they have behaved erratically and many times will not discharge and just float around doing nothing. But that's just me. Anyway, IIRC he gets the platforms console with the Charal, so OP would have to buy the 3-pack to use a Kumari + platforms.
^While I do thing the set is worth while, I agree that they are sometimes intermittent when it comes to firing. However, I find the overload charge well worth the 3 set, having done 179,000 in one shot on a critical and averaging 60,000 a shot with shields depleted or down. I hope one day Cryptic fixing the intermittent firing problem because it has cost me some Elite STF missions when they keep firing at a target I am no longer targeting.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM.