Lt. Commander
# 91
01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
Have you tried using Cryptic's CoH Mac app, and either plugging STO into that, or pulling bits from it?
I had a quick look inside it, and I think there may be too many hard-coded names in there to just drop STO into it easily, but since that has solved the resolution and the multimonitor problems, it might be worth picking apart...
a lot of people hack Cider apps, including CoH to run other games... I have a very nice Oblivion version made from CoH that runs great.

there are a couple of problems with this....

1. its not legal... I'd like to keep this something I can legally give to other people.

2. the login/patcher for CoH is a native mac app customized for CoH, and wont work with anything else. Cider does NOT have the ability to run anything like normal pop up windows, it must be a full screen totally in game system, which is why CoH had to have a custom patcher made in the first place. If we ever get an offiical Cider port, it will be very similar.

now Cider would be a better way to go... if they legally do it... since it doesn't use X11 and has full control over your Macs screens.

Crossover Games 9 may support STO when it comes out,which will also be a nice solution, as they make their own custom X11 server that works better with Wine and Macs than Xquartz does.... wish I new enough about x.org to make my own custom version that worked great too.... I have made custom builds of Xfree86 with working fullscreen and windowing switches and resolution changes, but I have never gotten all the OpenGL bugs worked out, and pretty much any game crashes on it when starting or within 2 or 3 minutes.... with x.org the only real option for now is Xquartz, which I use... but it just has serious limitations.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadguy View Post
Hi,

I re read the first page again, and the renderscale command stopped the smearing(should have read it properly first time).

Also realised that it was just the last weekend, not the last day.

One thing though, I have 2 monitors and it always plays on the left one, Is it possible to make it play on the other monitor ?

Thanks.

Toadguy
it *supposed* to go to your primary monitor.... but Xquartz doesn't always function very well on multi-monitor set ups... sorry. Wish I could do more to fix that in a fast time. Xquartz needs some serious improvements, but I'm kinda stuck with using it for Wine at the moment, no other viable option as of yet.

You could try changing your primary monitor and see if that worked... or you can just run it in a large window on the monitor you want...

What its probably doing is always setting to the top left... so you'd have to set your screens up backwards in System Preferences while you play...
Lt. Commander
# 93 -
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I posted earlier about a Macbook (not pro). I was on 10.5.8, but it wouldn't get past the last STO loading screen with the star trek logo.

It seems to be working on 10.6.2 instead with the beta 1 build.
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
a lot of people hack Cider apps
1. its not legal...
Ahhh... I was hoping Cryptic would give us permission to use it :-)

Quote:
2. the login/patcher for CoH is a native mac app customized for CoH
That's a bigger problem.

Quote:
wish I new enough about x.org to make my own custom version
My own X11 experience was about 20 years ago, so I'm no help on that side either :-(

Quote:
the only real option for now is Xquartz, which I use... but it just has serious limitations.
You're doing an awesome job though: pulling this stuff together isn't easy.

BTW, I hope you don't take these less-well-researched opinions to be anything other than well-intentioned ideas; I'm not trying to second-guess you, you clearly know about this stuff :-)
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Great work, the loader now is much more stable and patching away. On 1/2 meg this could take some time, so I'm off for some food and will hopefully get a bit of time in before bed!
Lt. Commander
# 96
01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Crossover Games 9 may support STO when it comes out,
Sadly, we are not sure to see this version arrive fast

Crossover update version are not very fast .. must be one time each 6-9 months
Lt. Commander
# 97
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
We havd till thuresday now, originally it was supposed to end last night.
Lt. Commander
# 98
01-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
it *supposed* to go to your primary monitor.... but Xquartz doesn't always function very well on multi-monitor set ups... sorry. Wish I could do more to fix that in a fast time. Xquartz needs some serious improvements, but I'm kinda stuck with using it for Wine at the moment, no other viable option as of yet.

You could try changing your primary monitor and see if that worked... or you can just run it in a large window on the monitor you want...
Hi,

that's just what I did in the end. Working fine. THough the right monitor is my primary monitor(menu bar/ dock etc). And running it in a window means i can check email etc while playing(I'm meant to be working)

I have to say I'm very impressed with your work. If I didn't know better I'd be sure it was a native app because it works very well. If you as one person(admittedly obviously talented) can do this in a few weeks, why can't cryptic get it together to make a proper mac version.

Toadguy
Lt. Commander
# 99
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
why can't cryptic get it together to make a proper mac version
Cryptic have said that they will look at it, but their first priority has to be getting it to launch, and they have every available person on that.
Lt. Commander
# 100
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Hi,

that's just what I did in the end. Working fine. THough the right monitor is my primary monitor(menu bar/ dock etc). And running it in a window means i can check email etc while playing(I'm meant to be working)

I have to say I'm very impressed with your work. If I didn't know better I'd be sure it was a native app because it works very well. If you as one person(admittedly obviously talented) can do this in a few weeks, why can't cryptic get it together to make a proper mac version.

Toadguy
you can multitask with it in fullscreen... but if your running it in a fullscreen resolutin lower than your normal, it will be kinda yucky.

The easiest way to multitask in fullscreen is to use Cmd+H to hide the fullscreen showing.... expose works as well.

I use CMD+H to switch out all the time... then click on the dock icon to get back.

Cryptic can make a really nice supported version better than I can, since I'm stuck with just the full Windows version, no custom launcher/patcher or anything... I doubt they have anyone on staff that would be able to make a version good enough to charge for (mine isn't).. so they would have to outsource it to Transgaming, or Codeweavers at this point, which have very talented people (I'm just a hobbyist hack that figures out stuff on my own).

Cryptic has too much on their plate with bug fixing and getting it out. If they had planned Mac support early on, and made the game differently.. it might be a different story, but at its current state, once they have it out and running well, its more likely they'll look into hiring Codeweavers or Transgaming to make an official version. While I prefer codeweavers, cuz they are great and help make Wine great... Cider from Transgaming would probably be a better solution overall, which is why most game companies use it.... it can run on the native window system for starters, no X11.. which is the major benefit.

I have a new version I'm finishing up testing.. still have to use Renderscale and ugly fonts.. but the patcher/launcher is full working right (minus web links don't go anywhere)... working on a few more Font ideas.. and if I get it (or Don't) i'll put up a beta 2 soon at least with the fixed launcher/patcher.
Closed Thread