Lt. Commander
# 1031
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Bertios, I can't help with the bad graphics in the Fire Cave, but remember that you can go to Deep Space Encounters or to Star Clusters for XP and leveling. So you really have plenty of missions, they're just repeatable and perhaps not very interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 1032
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I've never gotten there.. so I have no way of troubleshooting the issue...
Lt. Commander
# 1033
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberosini View Post
Doh, thank you again for Wineskin... It's great. I use it since 4 months.
Greatings from Germany.
But did you know, that there a problems with the special letters like ,,, which we use a lot in german...
Over Wineskin, I can't write them in the chatbox.

Thank you again, Bye Kerb (@KerbERosini).
make sure you have the latest X11 installed and your running German install of OSX... Wine should run as German if it sees the OS is german, and Wineskin will borrow fonts from a X11 install to make sure things are available... other than that, I have no way to actually test how it works, which makes it basically impossible to troubleshoot and fix.
Lt. Commander
# 1034
07-30-2010, 12:46 AM
This is very cool, and you are to be commend for your work. I'd love to be able to play the game on my Mac, without having to switch over to the Windows side.

The graphics do not work very well on my configuration (iMac 2007, RadeonHD2600 graphics). Both my ship and my character stutter when they move. That is, they move a bit and then jump back a bit, and then move forward. It's a three steps forward, two steps back kind of thing that makes the game too irritating to play. I'm hoping there's a simple fix, or that this is a problem you can address later on in your development process.

BTW, you most definitely should throw a donation link up up your site!
Lt. Commander
# 1035
07-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBertlos View Post
Slight problem I ran into last night with the ONLY EXISTING mission for RA1 that the developers provide. It's when you beam down to the Fire Caves of Bajor, apparently it is very foggy and or smokey and as a result, the ENTIRE screen just renders as grey. The HUD shows up, and you can see the toolbar and mini map, but I cannot see the actual level itself.

I played about half way through it just using the mini map, but it is insanely difficult, I feel into the fire several time and died, my BOs fell into the fire several times and died, and I cannot level up and continue playing without completing this mission because it's the only existing mission at RA.

Any idea how to get this level to load or am I just outta luck and stuck at RA1 forever?
I'm using the container to run Champions, and there are two maps in that game that have exactly the same problem. SInce I do have a Windows partition, I end up booting from that to run those missions.

I tried running the game under Parallels, and it had the same problem on those missions.
Lt. Commander
# 1036
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by descriptivist.net
I'm using the container to run Champions, and there are two maps in that game that have exactly the same problem. SInce I do have a Windows partition, I end up booting from that to run those missions.

I tried running the game under Parallels, and it had the same problem on those missions.
I'm going to try Codeweavers officially supported version of STO and see if the graphical issue is solved there. Star Trek Online bragged all over Facebook yesterday about official Codeweavers support for Mac and Linux, so we'll see if that'll handle the level better or not. My guess is, it probably won't. Though there may be better functionality. We'll see.

I could boot to Windows and play it, but I don't have a big enough partition. I would have to remove a few games on Steam to install STO for just one mission and that seems like a waste of time considering I hardly ever use Windows except for a few games and 98% of the time I'm booted to Mac.

I'll report back on the Codeweavers version shortly.
Lt. Commander
# 1037
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherJohn View Post
The graphics do not work very well on my configuration (iMac 2007, RadeonHD2600 graphics). Both my ship and my character stutter when they move. That is, they move a bit and then jump back a bit, and then move forward. It's a three steps forward, two steps back kind of thing that makes the game too irritating to play. I'm hoping there's a simple fix, or that this is a problem you can address later on in your development process.

BTW, you most definitely should throw a donation link up up your site!
what version are you using...? the 1.1 release is the most stable among different Macs so I've left it there, but the 1.2 betas are better in performance. I'm going to put up a 1.2 beta5 later today or tomorrow... it will be OSX 10.5+ only, no more 10.4 but I'v done some changes and the average frame rate is much higher than earlier builds (at least for me) without so much of the fps drops on the ground so easy. There are donations for Wineskin itself on the Wineskin website that goes to help there, mainly in bandwidth/hosting costs.... but Wineskin is designed to be more of a tool to help make wrappers like this for many programs, not just STO.

Quote:
I'm going to try Codeweavers officially supported version of STO and see if the graphical issue is solved there. Star Trek Online bragged all over Facebook yesterday about official Codeweavers support for Mac and Linux, so we'll see if that'll handle the level better or not. My guess is, it probably won't. Though there may be better functionality. We'll see.
I'll report back on the Codeweavers version shortly.
I haven't tried Crossover itself, but I did use the cxwine source from Crossover Games 9.1.0 and made a version to use in this wrapper, and it ran no different than stock Wine 1.2 runs... if they have any improvements it will have to be in their custom X11 server they use that they don't share the source code to. Their X11 server already allows the brightness slider to work, as well as window and fullscreen configs a bit easier (though thats being worked on in Xquartz... Wineskin will be more on par with fullscreen and resolution switching by around Oct. or Nov.)
Lt. Commander
# 1038
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
what version are you using...? the 1.1 release is the most stable among different Macs so I've left it there, but the 1.2 betas are better in performance. I'm going to put up a 1.2 beta5 later today or tomorrow... it will be OSX 10.5+ only, no more 10.4 but I'v done some changes and the average frame rate is much higher than earlier builds (at least for me) without so much of the fps drops on the ground so easy. There are donations for Wineskin itself on the Wineskin website that goes to help there, mainly in bandwidth/hosting costs.... but Wineskin is designed to be more of a tool to help make wrappers like this for many programs, not just STO.

I haven't tried Crossover itself, but I did use the cxwine source from Crossover Games 9.1.0 and made a version to use in this wrapper, and it ran no different than stock Wine 1.2 runs... if they have any improvements it will have to be in their custom X11 server they use that they don't share the source code to. Their X11 server already allows the brightness slider to work, as well as window and fullscreen configs a bit easier (though thats being worked on in Xquartz... Wineskin will be more on par with fullscreen and resolution switching by around Oct. or Nov.)
Just tried it. Same result. Entire screen shows up gray. Dunno how to turn the fog or whatever off in order for me to see the mission itself without playing on the minimap or completely uninstalling stuff on Windows to spend an hour playing the game to play a 20 minutes mission than uninstalling it again. Sadly I guess I may have to just drop the the only mission the game has left for me.
Lt. Commander
# 1039
07-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I'm using 1.2beta4, and my OS is 10.6.4. I'll give 1.5 a try when you post it.
Lt. Commander
# 1040
07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Just tried it. Same result. Entire screen shows up gray. Dunno how to turn the fog or whatever off in order for me to see the mission itself without playing on the minimap or completely uninstalling stuff on Windows to spend an hour playing the game to play a 20 minutes mission than uninstalling it again. Sadly I guess I may have to just drop the the only mission the game has left for me.
could be lotsa things to try... hard for me to test a buncha stuff quickly without having that mission. Does that mean I gotta stop playing 10 characters and actually level one up now? :-P
Closed Thread