Lt. Commander
# 1091
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Jerry
Unforunately 1.2 crashed as well. Does this mean my 8800GS comp won't play this game?
I'm not sure really.. a few people have reported back that 1.2 worked fine for them with an 8800, where historically its been problems before... usually those tended to still work but they had to turn down their graphics settings a lot in some areas, like earth spacedock.

can't promise anything.. but I have a slightly different engine build that seemed less problematic on 8800s earlier. You can try switching that out and seeing what happens.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4486028/STO/...ine.bundle.zip

download this bundle... swap out the Contents/Resources/WineskinEngine.bundle in the wrapper with this one. Don't launch the game right away though, or it'll get a stuck process. Inside the wrapper run WineskinSettings.app, go to Advanced -> Tools and run winecfg. Don't change anything, it'll fix itself automatically, so once Winecfg runs, just hit OK to close it out... (just click through any error messages that might pop up) then exit out of WineskinSettings and check to see if the game works any differently.
Lt. Commander
# 1092
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
It didn't work either crashes sooner; before I get into spacedock. Anything else I can try? When it comes to adjustments I have adjusted the wineskin screen to several different levels without success. Is there anything I'm missing. I normally a click and go type of user not to experianced in making a lot of adjustments.
Lt. Commander
# 1093
09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
It didn't work either crashes sooner; before I get into spacedock. Anything else I can try? When it comes to adjustments I have adjusted the wineskin screen to several different levels without success. Is there anything I'm missing. I normally a click and go type of user not to experianced in making a lot of adjustments.
its the settings in STO that caused the problems in the past. I have no 8800 to test with so I don't know what the issues are. The last report of it running great was running OSX 10.5 though, but I have had someone in 10.6.3 say it worked. I wonder if they broke something minor in the graphics update for 8800s in 10.6.4... The troubleshooting options at this point can get very complex...
Lt. Commander
# 1094
09-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Okay; thanks for trying!!! Looks like if I want to play I will have to use bootcamp and buy windows 7. yuk
Lt. Commander
# 1095
09-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Okay; thanks for trying!!! Looks like if I want to play I will have to use bootcamp and buy windows 7. yuk
you can play around with all of your in-game settings... see if any of them have a difference for the crashing.

EDIT: I'd try the free trial of Crossover Games before I bought Windows... it might run STO for you better, and if not.. well it was a free trial.
Lt. Commander
# 1096
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
You may also want to wait until 10.6.5 comes out as it will have a brand new driver series that is suposed to approach(256 series) parity to the windows release (version 285.xx in their 256 series). Things will probably never be perfect for Mac compatibility as almost all driver fixes have to go through Apple first and honestly until recently Apple hasn't even tested the advanced 3D (or even OpenCL) capabilities of the drivers per release. Thanks to steam using a translation layer, like this project, coupled with Valve's new influence in trying to make the mac a legit development target for common computer games... Apple may finally be forced to pay attention for more then one or two keynotes. ^.~
Lt. Commander
# 1097
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I got it. I started another Char and was able to adjust the game settings down. Works great thatnks !!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 1098
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
I got it. I started another Char and was able to adjust the game settings down. Works great thatnks !!!!!
do you know what you turned down? what worked? more details could help narrow down issues and/or help other people.

Oh and as a tip, then you log in and it goes to character select screen, you can exit out of that back to a in game log in screen where you can get to options and change graphics settings without ever logging into a character.
Lt. Commander
# 1099
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I set the video to 800x600 and speed/quality bar all the way over to speed(far left). Once again, thanks so much for all you have done!
Lt. Commander
# 1100
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
I set the video to 800x600 and speed/quality bar all the way over to speed(far left). Once again, thanks so much for all you have done!
ouch.. thats really low.. have you played with any manual settings.. or tried more? I don't think you'd have to take it that low.
Closed Thread