Lt. Commander
# 1101
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I am having an issue with getting my Champions online client to work right. I am playing on a iMac 27' i7, ATI 4850 and 8 gb of ram and i cant seem to get the effects under the advance tab to work. It's like it not reading my video card or something. The game works but i can't get the graphics to increase. Any help would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 1102
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveytrain View Post
I am having an issue with getting my Champions online client to work right. I am playing on a iMac 27' i7, ATI 4850 and 8 gb of ram and i cant seem to get the effects under the advance tab to work. It's like it not reading my video card or something. The game works but i can't get the graphics to increase. Any help would be great.
OSX doesn't have DirectX. Everything using DirectX for graphic has to be translated to OpenGL to run... this causes many features to not work right, so not all graphics options will be available. Windows games that have an OpenGL mode usually have an easier time running under Wine. I've never played CO, so I don't think i can help you with the specifics.
Lt. Commander
# 1103 Demo
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Is the demo available through Wine? i want to try the game before i decide to buy it and the only PC in my home has a chip set lol
Lt. Commander
# 1104
09-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esk-emo View Post
Is the demo available through Wine? i want to try the game before i decide to buy it and the only PC in my home has a chip set lol
I'm not sure what that statement fully means... all PCs have chipsets :-P

but anyways... yes you can run the Demo. The problem is that the Demo downloader software does not work right. You need to download STO with the torrent download (or at least get the Star Trek Online.exe... I'd love to just put that in the package here so everyone can have it auto download if they don't have anything to install from... but legally Cryptic won't allow me to...) if you at least get the Star Trek Online.exe in there, the rest will patch/download from the normal log in patcher....

you should be able to get the game that way, and set up your account for using the demo after that by using this link...
http://www.startrekonline.com/user/f..._start/Cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 1105
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I downloaded the zip and followed the instructions, installed the game from the CD, installed the updates and the game runs great on my new Mac Book Pro. So far I haven't had a single problem, if I find any I will post them.
Lt. Commander
# 1106
09-10-2010, 02:43 AM
sorry what i ment was that it only has a chip set and no graphics card and thats where ive been going wrong then just downloading the torrent now ill keep you posted xP
Lt. Commander
# 1107
09-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esk-emo View Post
sorry what i ment was that it only has a chip set and no graphics card and thats where ive been going wrong then just downloading the torrent now ill keep you posted xP
intel integrated graphics... yes.. decent for many non gaming tasks, but sucks badly for games... unless they are over 10 years old, then it might pull it off.
Lt. Commander
# 1108 Thank you so much!
09-11-2010, 01:17 PM
DoH123,

I just want to say thanks for doing this! My sole computer is a MPB 17 running Snow Leopard. Until now, the only way I could play was in WinXP under Bootcamp. It was working fine but lately it has been crashing continuously.

I installed your Wineskin version and so far, it hasn't crashed once!

Thank you again for a tremendous contribution to the STO Mac community.
Lt. Commander
# 1109
09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archercap View Post
DoH123,

I just want to say thanks for doing this! My sole computer is a MPB 17 running Snow Leopard. Until now, the only way I could play was in WinXP under Bootcamp. It was working fine but lately it has been crashing continuously.

I installed your Wineskin version and so far, it hasn't crashed once!

Thank you again for a tremendous contribution to the STO Mac community.
It still crashes at times... usually after you been playing awhile and go into a space station, mainly Earth Space dock. I always turn my graphics settings waaay down and go in spacedock, then turn them back up, and it crashes less often. Not sure what I can do about that really though, I'm not that great at hacking the Wine code myself, I've never done more than little tweaks.... Wine is extremely complicated from a programming prospective.

But I am glad its working decently for ya :-)
Lt. Commander
# 1110
09-12-2010, 01:14 PM
First thing id like to say thanks for doin all this to get us trekkies with different computers at home and secondly are the settings only able to go up to a certain hight with wine because some of the options to up the graphics are only available on low and others cant be changed at all or is there something i can do about this?
Closed Thread