Lt. Commander
# 1111
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esk-emo View Post
First thing id like to say thanks for doin all this to get us trekkies with different computers at home and secondly are the settings only able to go up to a certain hight with wine because some of the options to up the graphics are only available on low and others cant be changed at all or is there something i can do about this?
become a Wine developer and add the features?

The problem is that Wine has to implement its own version of DirectX, which translates to OpenGL... this causes many issues. DirectX isn't even fully implemented, because Wine developers have to figure it all out as they go... they cannot look at anything from MS as to how it works. Wine is a very difficult thing to make and keep it legal.
Lt. Commander
# 1112
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I was watching the video on youtube for this. Suprisingly, it won't let me comment on the video so I am asking here. What do we do if we don't have a disk or have a previously saved folder? I bought the game but don't have the cd and I can't download it on my mac.
Lt. Commander
# 1113
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
You can download the game here.

There are two options - any of them will do (torrent file or game downloader).
Lt. Commander
# 1114
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esk-emo View Post
First thing id like to say thanks for doin all this to get us trekkies with different computers at home and secondly are the settings only able to go up to a certain hight with wine because some of the options to up the graphics are only available on low and others cant be changed at all or is there something i can do about this?
Two problems are causing this issue:
1) WINE, as currently implemented, is focused on DX 9.0c compatibility and not DX 10 or 11 translating to OpenGL calls. As such some of the modern effects are not supported on purpose for simplicity's sake.
2) WINE reports itself as a generic graphics card to the game. Since it doesn't pass feature capabilities as expected or appear in the game's list it assumes its a minimally compatible card. Hence it disables more options.

I am thinking of coming up with a list of everything that is and is not implemented for STO for Mac (unofficial) for easier tracking over time of progress and perhaps so we can bug the WINE (graphics & most crashes) developers and xQuartz (things like bad multi-screen and mouse handling) developers as a group to get higher priority on our needs.
Lt. Commander
# 1115
09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
intel integrated graphics... yes.. decent for many non gaming tasks, but sucks badly for games... unless they are over 10 years old, then it might pull it off.
I would say the exception would be the one integrated with the new Core i5 or the upcoming sandy bridge refresh. the integrated on the recent Corei5 can run the game on minimum settings @ default resolution. The upcoming integrated GPU in Sandy Bridge (next refresh) should allow for low settings @ native resolution.
Lt. Commander
# 1116
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I can start the download of the game just fine, but once it gets to my downloads folder I can't do anything with it. Mac won't open it up, all it does is give me a messed up text file.
Lt. Commander
# 1117
09-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I downloaded it on my PC and then brought it over to my iMac. I open STO with wineskin and it gives me "the tool you selected is running" Its been an hour now and in the dock it says application not responding, what can I do?
Lt. Commander
# 1118
09-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosukedate View Post
I was watching the video on youtube for this. Suprisingly, it won't let me comment on the video so I am asking here. What do we do if we don't have a disk or have a previously saved folder? I bought the game but don't have the cd and I can't download it on my mac.
http://www.startrekonline.com/download

do a torrent download... and at least get the Star Trek Online.exe ... you can then put that in the wrapper at Program Files/Cryptic Studios and the patcher should download the rest.... or just get it all fro the torrent and copy it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athirne View Post
Two problems are causing this issue:
1) WINE, as currently implemented, is focused on DX 9.0c compatibility and not DX 10 or 11 translating to OpenGL calls. As such some of the modern effects are not supported on purpose for simplicity's sake.
2) WINE reports itself as a generic graphics card to the game. Since it doesn't pass feature capabilities as expected or appear in the game's list it assumes its a minimally compatible card. Hence it disables more options.

I am thinking of coming up with a list of everything that is and is not implemented for STO for Mac (unofficial) for easier tracking over time of progress and perhaps so we can bug the WINE (graphics & most crashes) developers and xQuartz (things like bad multi-screen and mouse handling) developers as a group to get higher priority on our needs.
Most of this is Wine issues and not Xquartz. Bug reports to Wine is great though... but you have to test and reproduce all problems on a vanilla Wine install for the bug to be taken...

Quote:
I can start the download of the game just fine, but once it gets to my downloads folder I can't do anything with it. Mac won't open it up, all it does is give me a messed up text file.
what did you download exactly? The downloader program is a windows program that downloads the game for you... this will not work. You need to use something like uTorrent or Transmission and download the Torrent install version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero26 View Post
I downloaded it on my PC and then brought it over to my iMac. I open STO with wineskin and it gives me "the tool you selected is running" Its been an hour now and in the dock it says application not responding, what can I do?
what exactly did you download.. what exactly did you try to run? was it a setup.exe with the Installer? Whats your machine specs?
Lt. Commander
# 1119
09-17-2010, 10:58 PM
ok, I tried to download the torrent using Vuze, but it just says, "media has already been added as star trek st....." but I can't find it in my computer. So it shows a little torrent thing for it, but vuze won't open it.
Lt. Commander
# 1120
09-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
ok, I tried to download the torrent using Vuze, but it just says, "media has already been added as star trek st....." but I can't find it in my computer. So it shows a little torrent thing for it, but vuze won't open it.
never used vuze before... you'll just have to find where it put it at somehow (check default download location?). If its messed up find a way to reset it... not sure theres much I can do to help. did it actually download or did it just add the torrent file.. and you have to tell it to start getting the actual download? i always prefer using Transmission for torrents.
Closed Thread