Lt. Commander
# 1161
10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Dad View Post
OK. I might be a little clueless, because I don't see *where* to type that in. And I'm not sure how and where exactly to look inside the wrapper.

(When I start STO, my screen goes black and the only thing up is the game window.)
you type it in the chat box like your chatting with someone in STO.

you look inside the wrapper by right clicking it and selecting "Show Package Contents" and you'll see a drive_c folder in there, which will have a Program Files folder and Cryptic Studios and so on under it where the game is stored.
Lt. Commander
# 1162 Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate
10-15-2010, 11:28 PM
So for some reason the game won't start up all the sudden for me... it keeps a small dialog box in the top left corner saying "trying to update the launcher please be patient" and is now on try number 13 to connect... Its been working fine for a year and now it won't connect. Nothing has changed on my end. Anyone else having this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 1163
10-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by branram View Post
So for some reason the game won't start up all the sudden for me... it keeps a small dialog box in the top left corner saying "trying to update the launcher please be patient" and is now on try number 13 to connect... Its been working fine for a year and now it won't connect. Nothing has changed on my end. Anyone else having this problem?
The problem is with the launcher. It seems like a wide spread issue on PC as well. Hopefully Cryptic will fix it soon.....
Lt. Commander
# 1164 1.3beta1 multimonitor bug
10-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I just tried going from 1.2beta5 to 1.3beta1 on my dual-monitor iMac (27"/24"). Now STO insists on spanning both monitors. I've tried setting Wineskin to rootless mode and even set the resolution to 1920x1280 mode, but it just takes the lower resolution and stretches it across both monitors. Disconnecting the second monitor won't work for me. So until I figure this out or, assuming this is a bug, until it is fixed, 1.3beta1 won't work for me.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 1165
10-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I just tried going from 1.2beta5 to 1.3beta1 on my dual-monitor iMac (27"/24"). Now STO insists on spanning both monitors. I've tried setting Wineskin to rootless mode and even set the resolution to 1920x1280 mode, but it just takes the lower resolution and stretches it across both monitors. Disconnecting the second monitor won't work for me. So until I figure this out or, assuming this is a bug, until it is fixed, 1.3beta1 won't work for me.

EB
the beta has no munltimonitor support... you'll have to mirror your displays... unplug one... or play in a window

as soon as Xquartz has proper display capturing, this shouldn't be an issue... hopefully that will be soon
Lt. Commander
# 1166
10-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
the beta has no munltimonitor support... you'll have to mirror your displays... unplug one... or play in a window

as soon as Xquartz has proper display capturing, this shouldn't be an issue... hopefully that will be soon
I'm trying to do the third option, but STO insists on stretching across the second monitor. Am I doing something wrong?

EB
Lt. Commander
# 1167
10-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I'm trying to do the third option, but STO insists on stretching across the second monitor. Am I doing something wrong?

EB
set STO for windowed... not maximized window... only if you maximize or run fullscreen will it try to take up the whole thing.

RandR functionality in there (the new part) doesn't have any multi-monitor support yet... so the only screen resolution available to STO is the combined monitor resolution.... so maximized and fullscreen will not currently be a viable option.

If you run Wineskin.app inside the wrapper (similar to WineskinSettings.app from Wineskin 1.x... this is Wineskin 2.0 beta wrapper) the Screen Options->override setting should act like the old wrappers... BUT do not try it with beta1... there are bugs and it will crash. i have these bugs fixed in current Wineskin 2.0 beta, but I haven't gotten STO updated just yet... I'll try to get to it soon and make a STO beta2.... then you can do it the old way or the new way.
Lt. Commander
# 1168
10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Updated the main post to go from 1.3beta1 to 1.3beta2

not much has changed... using the latest Wineskin 2.0 beta with Wine 1.3.5...

with the new Wineskin beta there is also a gamma correction that can help. Wine uses an older XVidMode extension to control gamma, and it doesn't exist in Xquartz (or any other publicly available X11 for Macs), so in game brightness control of course doesn't work. You can now add a bit of global OSX gamma brightness in the Screen Options in Wineskin.app. See the Direction.pdf for directions... but it does help quite a bit for machines who have problems with places being too dark.

There is also a lot of behind the scenes bug fixes.. so its less likely to have problems... but it isn't a lot different from beta1
Lt. Commander
# 1169
10-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I just updated from 1.3 beta 1 (which was rock solid) to 1.3 beta 2 now, and launched into space to embark on today's weekly episode. I've had the Cryptic Oooops error twice in just a few minutes, both happened at the same spot (in front of the first quest NPC on Drozana Station). I did however notice the massive amounts of players online in the same location, so maybe that contributed to the crashes. I ran the game with all settings maxed out (Mac Pro 8-core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 8800GT @ 1920x1200 in windowed mode, OS X 10.6.4). Lowered all graphics settings and relaunched the game. All stable now. I'll keep testing this latest beta version and will report any further issues (if there are any).

A small wish though: Would it be possible to get the iTunes integration in-game up and running (the "Music Player" option from the main menu in-game)?
Lt. Commander
# 1170
10-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Just updated to Beta2 and did some play testing. Looks and performed wonderfully, almost forgot that I was running this on a mac. I Have not bumped up all the settings and so far stable from what I have experienced.
On that note, it seems that the wrapper no longer hogs the CPU when the fullscreen is hidden, which is nice; i can accomplish some lookup in a wiki now
Closed Thread