Lt. Commander
# 1171
10-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Just got beta2 (1.3) and tried patching. Works fine. At last I can patch in a window! Don't mind the win98 look. This is great! I can patch and quick reply now without having to go through alt+command+esc to switch to another app!

Will post again if it doesn't work on my mac book. So far so good though. Love the new wrapper!

Edit: Patching went fine and the game runs perfect! I even upped the graphics a notch and runs smoothly on my macbook. As the previous poster stated: "I almost forgot that I was playing on a mac!" excellent work!
Lt. Commander
Dooh123 you are the man.

So for all those having problems with the steam version here is how I got it to work. After three attempts it works great on 2010 13" Macbook Pro 10.6.4.

First go to your steam app (win or os x). to disable ingame steam community.
Steam -> Library Right click: STO select: properties. uncheck "enable Steam community in game" close steam.

To be sure open STO once so that the new preferences are saved. Close it after you see the select character screen.

Go to your windows program files\steam\steamapps folder
Copy the Folder: "star trek online" (8.Gb)
Paste to where you want to have it on your Mac.
Rename this folder to: "Cryptic Studios"

Thats it, make sure you copy and rename "star trek online" and not "Star Trek Online" within the former. Just follow the instructions for installing from a working windows version.
Lt. Commander
# 1173
10-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpot View Post
I just updated from 1.3 beta 1 (which was rock solid) to 1.3 beta 2 now, and launched into space to embark on today's weekly episode. I've had the Cryptic Oooops error twice in just a few minutes, both happened at the same spot (in front of the first quest NPC on Drozana Station). I did however notice the massive amounts of players online in the same location, so maybe that contributed to the crashes. I ran the game with all settings maxed out (Mac Pro 8-core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 8800GT @ 1920x1200 in windowed mode, OS X 10.6.4). Lowered all graphics settings and relaunched the game. All stable now. I'll keep testing this latest beta version and will report any further issues (if there are any).

A small wish though: Would it be possible to get the iTunes integration in-game up and running (the "Music Player" option from the main menu in-game)?
Theres been a history of issues with 8800s and higher settings and crashes... not sure if thats something to do with it. beta2 has WIne 1.3.5 stock build in it and it never crashed on me when I played it for a day.

iTunes integration is probably not possible... or at least not easy. I'd have to see what its actually saying and doing when it tries to control iTunes and write a little windows program that runs in the wrapper along with STO that relays that info over to Mac OS X install of iTunes.... that would be a really pain in the butt. Hopefully someone else thats more of a Windows programmer could do that, I rarely touch code on Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havam
Dooh123 you are the man.

So for all those having problems with the steam version here is how I got it to work. After three attempts it works great on 2010 13" Macbook Pro 10.6.4.

First go to your steam app (win or os x). to disable ingame steam community.
Steam -> Library Right click: STO select: properties. uncheck "enable Steam community in game" close steam.

To be sure open STO once so that the new preferences are saved. Close it after you see the select character screen.

Go to your windows program files\steam\steamapps folder
Copy the Folder: "star trek online" (8.Gb)
Paste to where you want to have it on your Mac.
Rename this folder to: "Cryptic Studios"

Thats it, make sure you copy and rename "star trek online" and not "Star Trek Online" within the former. Just follow the instructions for installing from a working windows version.
thats cool to know, I'll have to make sure I update the directions with that since I've never used it off steam.
Lt. Commander
# 1174 where is the files?
11-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I recently downloaded progam so can play champions online on My Mac (works great by the way) I just need to know where is the folder so I can edit key_binds for my controller mapping (xbox 360) where can I place a text file
Lt. Commander
# 1175
11-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNyceGuy1
I recently downloaded progam so can play champions online on My Mac (works great by the way) I just need to know where is the folder so I can edit key_binds for my controller mapping (xbox 360) where can I place a text file
Wine will only have access to devices that the OS can normally use... so your USB controller may or may not work... I have my doubts.

The actual installed game is installed inside the wrapper in the drive_c folder.... right click the wrapper and select "show package contents" and then you should see the drive_c... which will have a Program Files under it with the stuff the game installed if you did a default install.
Lt. Commander
# 1176
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks a lot im going to try it soon as I can
Lt. Commander
# 1177
11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
For anyone who came across my prior post and has a similar problem :

I have been able to get this unofficial client to work in the past, but am unable to get it to work now.

I have deleted it and re-downloaded and re-installed.

I get the following error when I click on the STO icon

Below is the error message I get:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Request header field is missing '.' separator.

EEEEEEEE x86

I realized that the culprit is NetBarrier. After tweaking the settings a bit, I now have no problem.
Lt. Commander
# 1178 Ns2
11-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Would anyone know if this scrapper could work with NS2 ?

I recently crossed the border from Windows to Mac OS and I'm really missing this game (now that STO is working great).

Thanks !
Lt. Commander
# 1179
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
doh123, amazing job.

i saw the video online about playing STO on your mac and was hooked again. i had played on the beta of STO but quit shortly afterwards, simply hated to boot into windows. so after a long delay from playing i'm picking up right where i left off. thanks so much.

frame-rate is amazing, no problems no crashing. my only little nitpick is that my officer icons do not show up in the character screen and space combat/exploration. also when i have conversations with npc characters i only see their mouth, the top of their heads is cut off. is there a simple fix that i can do to get them back?

once again..thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 1180
11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoII View Post
Would anyone know if this scrapper could work with NS2 ?

I recently crossed the border from Windows to Mac OS and I'm really missing this game (now that STO is working great).

Thanks !
This specific wrapper? probably not. You could use Wineskin to make one, but I think it would be quite difficult. In the Wine AppDB, the game doesn't really list anyone who has gotten it to work, which means it may never work, or it could take a lot of Wine source code modification that can get quite complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha47
doh123, amazing job.

i saw the video online about playing STO on your mac and was hooked again. i had played on the beta of STO but quit shortly afterwards, simply hated to boot into windows. so after a long delay from playing i'm picking up right where i left off. thanks so much.

frame-rate is amazing, no problems no crashing. my only little nitpick is that my officer icons do not show up in the character screen and space combat/exploration. also when i have conversations with npc characters i only see their mouth, the top of their heads is cut off. is there a simple fix that i can do to get them back?

once again..thanks again.
I don't think I've heard of that one before... it might be some in game setting that could change it, I don't know...
Closed Thread