Lt. Commander
# 1181
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone this is actually my very first post on the site, probably should have formally introduce myself in another thread sorry

Just want to once again thank doh123 for all of this!!!!!!!!!

Just bought my i3 mac yesterday (500 GB, ATI Radeon 4670, 4 GB Ram).
My wife bought me STO as a surprise gift months ago but all we had was an old laptop.
Been eyeballin this thread forever btw

Im running into a little problem and need some guidance

Now im not going to lie, im not incredibly computer inclined, im learning, so i apologize in advanced if i seem a little hard to understand in this post
Im also new to the mmo world, STO is my first mmo (im just a big star trek fan.....i needed this)

Im having problems PATCHING.

i tried the 1.2 VERSION: followed all the directions, going good, but when it got to the patching part, either it would just stop and take me to the "install windows software" screen OR it would LOCK UP or FREEZE
I tried the 1.3 beta 2 VERSION: followed all directions but when patching it FROZE again
And on both versions after it freezes and i quit the program, when i click the STO icon in the STO UMV folder, nothing happens or loads
I believe i have normal internet settings just a wireless at&t internet going to the mac only

Any ideas on what im doing wrong?
thanx
Lt. Commander
# 1182
11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueslide99 View Post
Hi everyone this is actually my very first post on the site, probably should have formally introduce myself in another thread sorry

Just want to once again thank doh123 for all of this!!!!!!!!!

Just bought my i3 mac yesterday (500 GB, ATI Radeon 4670, 4 GB Ram).
My wife bought me STO as a surprise gift months ago but all we had was an old laptop.
Been eyeballin this thread forever btw

Im running into a little problem and need some guidance

Now im not going to lie, im not incredibly computer inclined, im learning, so i apologize in advanced if i seem a little hard to understand in this post
Im also new to the mmo world, STO is my first mmo (im just a big star trek fan.....i needed this)

Im having problems PATCHING.

i tried the 1.2 VERSION: followed all the directions, going good, but when it got to the patching part, either it would just stop and take me to the "install windows software" screen OR it would LOCK UP or FREEZE
I tried the 1.3 beta 2 VERSION: followed all directions but when patching it FROZE again
And on both versions after it freezes and i quit the program, when i click the STO icon in the STO UMV folder, nothing happens or loads
I believe i have normal internet settings just a standard wireless at&t internet going to the mac only

Any ideas on what im doing wrong?
thanx
I'm not sure what your doing... are you trying to actually run the game from the Installer?

You use the "Install Windows Software" just to install the game.. the patcher is part of the game and nothing that runs separate or through that button.

Did you already install the program? are you using a disc? or are you trying to use the downloader... and thats what you mean by patcher? the downloader will not work, you need to either have the disc version, or use the torrent download on their download page to get it.... once you have the disc or the download finished through a torrent app (like Transmission.app, which I use), you can then use the "Install Windows Software" button to install the game into the wrapper... once the game is installed, as per the directions, you should just be able to double click the Star Trek Online.app in Finder like any other application and run it... it'll start up the log in and patcher first to do patching.... and let you launch the main game from there.
Lt. Commander
# 1183
11-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I'm not sure what your doing... are you trying to actually run the game from the Installer?

You use the "Install Windows Software" just to install the game.. the patcher is part of the game and nothing that runs separate or through that button.

Did you already install the program? are you using a disc? or are you trying to use the downloader... and thats what you mean by patcher? the downloader will not work, you need to either have the disc version, or use the torrent download on their download page to get it.... once you have the disc or the download finished through a torrent app (like Transmission.app, which I use), you can then use the "Install Windows Software" button to install the game into the wrapper... once the game is installed, as per the directions, you should just be able to double click the Star Trek Online.app in Finder like any other application and run it... it'll start up the log in and patcher first to do patching.... and let you launch the main game from there.
Im installing from my disc. And im basically just following the directions from the youtube link you have on the first post of this thread.

Im currently trying to reinstall and im presently at the little win98 looking "Star Trek Online Setup" window waiting for the bar to finsh loading.

From here when its fininshed installing i believe a STO login window will load, i'll enter my id and pass, and it will begin 'patching'

Wait
I think i found my error. I think i neglected to uncheck 'run sto now' in the installer window as per instructions
Lt. Commander
# 1184
11-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueslide99 View Post
Im installing from my disc. And im basically just following the directions from the youtube link you have on the first post of this thread.

Im currently trying to reinstall and im presently at the little win98 looking "Star Trek Online Setup" window waiting for the bar to finsh loading.

From here when its fininshed installing i believe a STO login window will load, i'll enter my id and pass, and it will begin 'patching'

Wait
I think i found my error. I think i neglected to uncheck 'run sto now' in the installer window as per instructions
yes.. don't run STO when its done... just let it finish.

It should prompt with new .exe files... and you choose the Star Trek Online.exe as the main one...

if for some reason after a couple installs its messed up and doesn't find the .exe file... just click the Advanced button and You can set the .exe in there as well.
Lt. Commander
# 1185
11-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi guys,

Every time I click on the screen makes my game minimise straight away. This has been happening ever since the patch with the new content that was released on Saturday.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems post-patch?

F.
Lt. Commander
# 1186 nope
11-15-2010, 02:10 AM
no problems after the patch or the os x update here.
Lt. Commander
# 1187 Wierd dialogue box issue....
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Here's a sample of what my chat dialogue box looks like when I'm interacting with other NPC's. It's slightly annoying. I've changed or adjusted everything in the controls that I can think of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

https://files.me.com/dlrathbun/msjm6v

Like I mentioned in my previous post everything else runs great.
My current setup is:

MacPro
Dual-Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
3 GB RAM

Running smooth from the latest update from Apple.
Lt. Commander
# 1188
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha47
Here's a sample of what my chat dialogue box looks like when I'm interacting with other NPC's. It's slightly annoying. I've changed or adjusted everything in the controls that I can think of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

https://files.me.com/dlrathbun/msjm6v

Like I mentioned in my previous post everything else runs great.
My current setup is:

MacPro
Dual-Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
3 GB RAM

Running smooth from the latest update from Apple.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 7300 causing problems... it has issues... even Valve won't support it in valve games, and theres some Ciderized ports that don't work right with it.

I don't recall the options in in STO, but there are some command line options (typed in the chat box) for forcing different shader models... you might try forcing it down to SM2, since I don't think SM3 has a full implementation correctly on geforce 7300s if I remember right.
Lt. Commander
# 1189
11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I use wine to play on a Mac and whenever I engage, the game stops while loading, the screen flashes light blue, and gives me an error ticket message window. I'd like to continue playing. Does anyone know how to help me?
Lt. Commander
# 1190
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenking
I use wine to play on a Mac and whenever I engage, the game stops while loading, the screen flashes light blue, and gives me an error ticket message window. I'd like to continue playing. Does anyone know how to help me?
are you using Wine itself.. like command line? or something else...? or do you mean your using this Wineskin wrapper the thread is about?

whichever way it is... what are the specs of your Mac? mainly need to know what GPU it is.... you might have to try disabling glsl
Closed Thread