Lt. Commander
# 1231
12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Doh...I have a very basic (maybe silly ) question...

I am still using 1.2beta5...how exactly do I "upgrade" to a newer version?

Would you recommend 1.2 or 1.3beta2?

Thanks in advance!
Lt. Commander
# 1232
12-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuoVadisSF View Post
Doh...I have a very basic (maybe silly ) question...

I am still using 1.2beta5...how exactly do I "upgrade" to a newer version?

Would you recommend 1.2 or 1.3beta2?

Thanks in advance!
I have it in the directions... but you simply take the Cryptic Studios folder from inside one wrapper and move it to the new wrapper in the same spot.

the 1.3 version does work a bit better, as long as you have a single display, or switch it to mirror display first.
Lt. Commander
# 1233
12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey guys

I have The Winter 09 iMac 27". The one with The ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB Ram. The problem Im having is my space combat is beauiful. Crisp no problems, but my ground combat has issues. Everytime I move the camera I get lag and stutter problems. When I turn my avatar the screen stutters too.

Ive been wanting to narrow down the problem. Is it my 4GB of Ram that I have that is causing the issue? Is it The ATI Radeon 4850 doing it? Or is it because Im using Wine

My specs
iMac 27" 2.66 Ghtz QUAD Core
4GB Ram
ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB

IF you have a current generation iMac 27" with The ATI Radeon 5850 (The one thats in The Apple Store now) 1GB of Ram.... do you have ground issues running STO with Wine?
Lt. Commander
# 1234
12-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post
Hey guys

I have The Winter 09 iMac 27". The one with The ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB Ram. The problem Im having is my space combat is beauiful. Crisp no problems, but my ground combat has issues. Everytime I move the camera I get lag and stutter problems. When I turn my avatar the screen stutters too.

Ive been wanting to narrow down the problem. Is it my 4GB of Ram that I have that is causing the issue? Is it The ATI Radeon 4850 doing it? Or is it because Im using Wine

My specs
iMac 27" 2.66 Ghtz QUAD Core
4GB Ram
ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB

IF you have a current generation iMac 27" with The ATI Radeon 5850 (The one thats in The Apple Store now) 1GB of Ram.... do you have ground issues running STO with Wine?
a lot of ground areas stutter a bit for me too at first, while things are being cached, but after 10 to 30 seconds it smooths up pretty good.... other than that the ground graphics are more demanding than the space graphics, make sure you don't have the details pushed up too far.
Lt. Commander
# 1235
12-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Is that because The ATI graphics card cant handle it or because its running on Wine?
Lt. Commander
# 1236
12-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post
Is that because The ATI graphics card cant handle it or because its running on Wine?
its a problem with how its running in Wine currently... I believe its somewhere in the Direct3D->OpenGL thats causing lag... it happens on all graphics cards, not just ATI. Its annoying when I first start playing and go to a ground missing.. but it only lasts a few seconds, then it seems to run fine for me, if not a bit laggy at times when new things have to load in.... but most of the time is very playable.
Lt. Commander
# 1237
12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I had very bad stutter over the weekend. I went into the video options and changed the lighting quality from "high" to "low" and all of a sudden it ran very smooth for me. I don't know if that did the trick or if it was a coincidence with something else but it worked great afterward.
Lt. Commander
# 1238
12-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archercap View Post
I had very bad stutter over the weekend. I went into the video options and changed the lighting quality from "high" to "low" and all of a sudden it ran very smooth for me. I don't know if that did the trick or if it was a coincidence with something else but it worked great afterward.
in game graphic settings can help a lot....

remember if your using the 1.3 beta you can go in Wineskin.app and add some extra gamma correction while its running to brighten things up a bit if its too dark. For me keeping lighting on low makes many places too dark, which is the main reason I put in this extra option. Limitations to the X server prevent the built in STO method of gamma correction to work, so its a decent work around.
Lt. Commander
# 1239
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
When I double click on the Wineskin app it does not give me the option to "Install Star Trek Online". It just says "Install Windows Software". So click that and select my STO Disc and it starts to install. Then shortly after that I get an error message. I closed out and tried it again, now it just says "The Tool You Selected Is Running" with a spinning wheel. I've left it for an hour or so, but nothing happens.

EDIT: I'm running STO UMV 1.2
Lt. Commander
# 1240
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer905 View Post
When I double click on the Wineskin app it does not give me the option to "Install Star Trek Online". It just says "Install Windows Software". So click that and select my STO Disc and it starts to install. Then shortly after that I get an error message. I closed out and tried it again, now it just says "The Tool You Selected Is Running" with a spinning wheel. I've left it for an hour or so, but nothing happens.

EDIT: I'm running STO UMV 1.2
You need to kill it if its stuck... and possibly open WineskinSettings.app and use the Kill button to make sure theres no stuck processes going... if one of them is stuck, then the installer is just spinning wheels waiting for it to get done, and it won't.

If you got an error message I need to know what it said.... an dhow far into the install did it get? If the Cryptic Studios folder is in drive_c/Program Files and has the Star Trek Online.exe file in it, then thats really enough from the installer, which has a tendency to mess up, and you can just run it and let it download/patch the rest, which will be needed anyways since there has been TONS of changes since the disc was made.
Closed Thread