Lt. Commander
# 1291
01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi.

I did some testing and got this so far. As we know, 1.2 doesn´t work anymore, they changed web addresses and certificates from what I see.
However, 1.3 works fine, especially 1.3 beta 2 nearly works as fast as 1.2 did while beta 3 has this huge lag while loading the launcher. I haven´t tried beta 1 tho.

Also, beta 3 offers some more graphics options, like AA and Bloom. However, Post Processing results in extreme stuttering during fights, space and ground. When doing nothing i get 50fps averge at max settings (window mode, 1440x1024, without AA and Bloom but Post Processing enabled) and as soon a fight starts I get 8 to 12fps, then it tries to normalize at 38fps averge but after few seconds another extreme stutter for 1 to 2 secs occours. When disabling Post Processing, everything runs fine tho, except it doesn´t feel as smooth as 1.2 did or 1.3 beta 2.

Another thing are ESD and Qo´noS. Both still suffer from huge framerate drop which doesn´t occour during missions. Drozana is ok also.

So, if you want a nearly 1.2 experience, try to get 1.3 beta 2 and when using beta 3, do not enable Post Processing.

System:
Mac Pro 2009 Single 2.93GHz
6GB RAM
Radeon HD 4870
Mac OS X 10.6.6
Lt. Commander
# 1292
01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Just to clarify I've had the same issues and switched to the latest beta nad it now works perfectly. I can happily switch to champions or STO as before
Lt. Commander
# 1293
01-26-2011, 08:03 AM
So for those of us who are rank n00bs (which I am not too proud to admit), how do we switch to the 1.3b2 wrapper?

By the way, someone in another thread said he'd tracked down the problem to TLS 1.0 support not having been turned on, on his machine. So as an alternative, how does one turn on TLS 1.0 on the Mac?
Lt. Commander
# 1294
01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2020 View Post
So for those of us who are rank n00bs (which I am not too proud to admit), how do we switch to the 1.3b2 wrapper?

By the way, someone in another thread said he'd tracked down the problem to TLS 1.0 support not having been turned on, on his machine. So as an alternative, how does one turn on TLS 1.0 on the Mac?
open one wrapper up (right click and show package contents) and go to drive_c/Program Files and take the Cryptic Studios folder, and move it over to the new wrapper in the same spot... then it should work fine.

as to TLS.. I thought TLS 1.0 was working fine.

The system.reg Registry file in the wrapper has this...

Quote:
[Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\AdvancedOptions\\CRYPTO\\TLS1.0] 1264440053
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000080
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000080
"HelpID"="iexplore.hlp#50511"
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"Mask"=dword:00000080
"PlugUIText"="@inetcpl.cpl,-4754"
"RegPath"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVe rsion\\Internet Settings"
"RegPoliciesPath"="SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\ Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Internet Settings"
"Text"="TLS 1.0"
"Type"="checkbox"
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"ValueName"="SecureProtocols"
which should.. (if I read it right) have TLS 1.0 operational... haven't had an issue with it before.
I think it passes through using gnutls... which the version in the wrapper might be having problems with certain functions being called that they changed on the patcher... maybe...? I'll look into it more as I try to get a new wrapper put together... and since 1.2 is broken for the most part, I'll just get 1.3 working and take it out of beta.
Lt. Commander
# 1295
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Doh123 for all your hard work!

@ DrSynthax, was wondering what are your graphic settings on your Mac Pro? Does it run smoothly?
Lt. Commander
# 1296
01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Where can I find the 1.3 beta 2 wrapper?

Edit: OK, i FINALLY have STO loaded in 1.3 bets 3, and the graphics are so slow and choppy the game is unplayable.... Days of working at this and all because Cryptic had to change the webpage and certificates and it's still not working right... Seriously disappointed in Cryptic right now. Unbelievably so.
Lt. Commander
# 1297
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Edit: Nevermind. I just re-read the first post in this thread and found the 1.3 beta wrapper. [annoyed grunt] For everyone's edification, however, the following is not helpful in fixing this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
open one wrapper up (right click and show package contents) and go to drive_c/Program Files and take the Cryptic Studios folder, and move it over to the new wrapper in the same spot... then it should work fine.
Hm, maybe I'm not understanding. Here's the procedure I performed:
  1. Launch /Applications/Wineskin Winery.app
  2. Under "Installed Engines," SW5Wine1.3.12 is the only item listed. Click "Created New Blank Wrapper."
  3. Type a name for the new file (I chose "STOnline", the .app is included automatically), and click "OK."
  4. Wait for the wrapper to be created, then open it in Finder.
  5. In Finder, navigate to ~/Applications/Wineskin/STOnline.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/ .
  6. In a new Finder window, navigate to ~/Desktop/STO UMV 1.2/Star Trek Online.app/Star Trek Online.app/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/ .
  7. Move Cryptic Studios folder from Program Files/ folder inside Star Trek Online.app to Program Files/ folder inside STOnline.app .
  8. Launch STOnline.app

All I got was a Windows 98-style window with title "Star Trek Online" and "Wineskin 2.0 RC Wrapper" as the application title in my Mac's menu bar. Incidentally, when I launch Star Trek Online from the original wrapper, I get a Mac OS Panther-style (X11) window and the "This program cannot display the webpage" error.

I have this sinking feeling I might not yet have downloaded the beta wrapper, even though I see mention of "…1.3…" in the Installed Engines list in Wineskin Winery. Am I right? How do I fix this?

As always, thanks in advance!

—Adam
Lt. Commander
# 1298
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf45x
Where can I find the 1.3 beta 2 wrapper?

Edit: OK, i FINALLY have STO loaded in 1.3 bets 3, and the graphics are so slow and choppy the game is unplayable.... Days of working at this and all because Cryptic had to change the webpage and certificates and it's still not working right... Seriously disappointed in Cryptic right now. Unbelievably so.
on what hardware? with what settings. settings in STO can change my FPS by up to 40...

do NOT turn on AA it will do nothing but a major drop in FPS.... and play with your settings a lot.... also try turning down the resolution if you have a lot lower end GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2020 View Post
Edit: Nevermind. I just re-read the first post in this thread and found the 1.3 beta wrapper. [annoyed grunt] For everyone's edification, however, the following is not helpful in fixing this problem.

Hm, maybe I'm not understanding. Here's the procedure I performed:
  1. Launch /Applications/Wineskin Winery.app
  2. Under "Installed Engines," SW5Wine1.3.12 is the only item listed. Click "Created New Blank Wrapper."
  3. Type a name for the new file (I chose "STOnline", the .app is included automatically), and click "OK."
  4. Wait for the wrapper to be created, then open it in Finder.
  5. In Finder, navigate to ~/Applications/Wineskin/STOnline.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/ .
  6. In a new Finder window, navigate to ~/Desktop/STO UMV 1.2/Star Trek Online.app/Star Trek Online.app/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/ .
  7. Move Cryptic Studios folder from Program Files/ folder inside Star Trek Online.app to Program Files/ folder inside STOnline.app .
  8. Launch STOnline.app

All I got was a Windows 98-style window with title "Star Trek Online" and "Wineskin 2.0 RC Wrapper" as the application title in my Mac's menu bar. Incidentally, when I launch Star Trek Online from the original wrapper, I get a Mac OS Panther-style (X11) window and the "This program cannot display the webpage" error.

I have this sinking feeling I might not yet have downloaded the beta wrapper, even though I see mention of "…1.3…" in the Installed Engines list in Wineskin Winery. Am I right? How do I fix this?

As always, thanks in advance!

—Adam
yeah... Thats what your going to go through if you want to start making a wrapper for a game... and lot more to get it working sometimes... but for STO, yes... I did all that stuff for you so you can just use the wrapper :-)
Lt. Commander
# 1299
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen82 View Post
Thanks Doh123 for all your hard work!

@ DrSynthax, was wondering what are your graphic settings on your Mac Pro? Does it run smoothly?
1440x1024 window mode, everything except Shadows are at maximum setting, shadows at low, view distances and detail levels are at 200 or 300 depending what´s the max value there, dynamic lighting enabled, 5 light sources, no AA and Bloom (doesn´t work at beta 2 anyway) and so on.
As said above, it runs fine except ESD and Qo´noS, there I get only something about 22 to 26 FPS while nearly anywhere else 38FPS to 55FPS, frame stabilizer enabled, 16ms Ping averge.
An current iMac i5 / i7 should meet these settings, too.

I use 1.3 beta 2 now because the launcher has nearly no lag, like in 1.2. Beta 3 still suffers from loading lag and it feels not so smooth in game because beta 2 seems to stream data loads better. While beta 3 stutters at certain actions (like 360° view rotation) to reload texture data and so on, beta 2 doesn´t stutter but switches textures from low to high quality as soon they are in memory and keeps them in memory longer.

@doh123

Maybe you could upload 1.3 beta 2 to your version history site, please?
Lt. Commander
# 1300
01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
yeah... Thats what your going to go through if you want to start making a wrapper for a game... and lot more to get it working sometimes... but for STO, yes... I did all that stuff for you so you can just use the wrapper :-)
Oh yeah, it's working now. YOU DA MAN!

I am playing around with my graphics settings, but with my spiffy, new 15" MBP, top quality looks pretty dern nice!
Closed Thread