Lt. Commander
# 1511
05-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Tried it just an hour ago and oh, it runs on my 3 years old iMac. Nice work, but the launch time (from STO-Logo-Screen till my characters appear) took nearly 5 minutes...

But another thing: Menu bar and Dock are always shown in Full Screen mode. Any ideas or hints how I could hide them?
Lt. Commander
# 1512
05-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophD
Tried it just an hour ago and oh, it runs on my 3 years old iMac. Nice work, but the launch time (from STO-Logo-Screen till my characters appear) took nearly 5 minutes...

But another thing: Menu bar and Dock are always shown in Full Screen mode. Any ideas or hints how I could hide them?
5 minutes is rather long... but it depends on your system specs... and launches after patches are a bit slower.

If your Fullscreen is showing the menubar and Dock, you have the wrong fullscreen resolution chosen. You need to go in STO graphics options and choose the correct fullscreen resolution. There will be a Desktop resolution, which will be a few pixels less up and down.. that will actually show on your desktop, so you need to choose the slightly larger fullscreen one, or any other to get a true fullscreen.
Lt. Commander
# 1513
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Well I installed it on my new Mac book... I basicly works fine (loading times are a little longer but can live with that.
The only problem: the radiator (is that the right word?) starts to blow like hell as soon as I start the game... I dont want to burn that Macbook, it was prety expensive... any solution for that?
Lt. Commander
# 1514
05-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Well I installed it on my new Mac book... I basicly works fine (loading times are a little longer but can live with that.
The only problem: the radiator (is that the right word?) starts to blow like hell as soon as I start the game... I dont want to burn that Macbook, it was prety expensive... any solution for that?
The fans are supposed to start going very fast... its how it keeps itself cool. It should do the same thing even in Windows... if it doesn't it may be running too hot in Windows, since it never seems to cool as good in Windows as it does in OSX. Running hotter for longer decreases the life of the electronics parts. Some people use Lubbos Fan Control in Windows to manually spin the fans up faster, or smcFanControl in Mac OS X to do the same thing.

If you want to make STO use less resources, you can go in its main options under graphics options in the Troubleshooting section, and try capping the frame rate to like 30, or selecting the option to reduce the load on the GPU. You'll lose performance, but it will run a bit cooler.
Lt. Commander
# 1515
05-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
The fans are supposed to start going very fast... its how it keeps itself cool. It should do the same thing even in Windows... if it doesn't it may be running too hot in Windows, since it never seems to cool as good in Windows as it does in OSX. Running hotter for longer decreases the life of the electronics parts. Some people use Lubbos Fan Control in Windows to manually spin the fans up faster, or smcFanControl in Mac OS X to do the same thing.

If you want to make STO use less resources, you can go in its main options under graphics options in the Troubleshooting section, and try capping the frame rate to like 30, or selecting the option to reduce the load on the GPU. You'll lose performance, but it will run a bit cooler.
Well in my old windows notebook they blew like hell even when I used firefox, but here it seems unusual since they never start anywhere else... Thats why I'm worried....

But thanks for the advice I'll give it a try.
Lt. Commander
# 1516
05-27-2011, 09:08 AM
When I login I get the "unable to authenticate" message.
I just hit the login button again and after a minute or so the game finally decides to log me in with no further issues.

Any ideas why I'm having this small problem?
Lt. Commander
# 1517
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm trying to get Wineskin STO to recognize the input from virtual joystick of ControllerMate or OSCulator, but so far no luck. I'm translating Wii controller and iPad output to output from the virtual joystick HID kernel driver, but how to get Wineskin to recognize it? I tried adding the HID name to the dinput section of registry but no dice. Any help?

Also is there a way to activate BO powers through scripting events in Windows (rather than HID input)? Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 1518
06-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakbob View Post
I've been using Wine STO for a while without any real problems. I accidentally threw the game into Windowed mode. I can't get it back to Fullscreen. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I've been seeing the same thing. Like you, adjusting the resolution from the menu in STO fixes it. I'm not certain that it's a "bug" though -- I think that may be how STO is supposed to work (the earlier versions of this wrapper worked well enough to convince me to remove my Bootcamp partition long ago, so I can't really check in Windows).

If you use the button on the top-right of the STO screen to switch to windowed mode, then the "maximize" button on the window doesn't switch back to fullscreen, it just maximizes the window. This leaves the OS X Dock overlapping.

Using key commands (Alt+Enter) to toggle fullscreen/windowed avoids the problem.

I kind of think the issue is that STO's UI just isn't designed in a way that makes sense. If a button in the UI switches to windowed mode, then another button in a similar place ought to switch back to full-screen, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to be working the way it's designed to, but the design is unmaclike.

If the problem is in Wineskin, then I would think that what's happening is that maximizing STO leaves it at slightly less than fullscreen resolution, so it can't fill up enough to actually be fullscreen. Using the UI button instead of keystrokes to go from windowed to fullscreen drops 22 pixels off the resolution vertically. I think Wineskin isn't detecting the OS X menubar as part of the screen, so it sees a 1920x1200 screen as 1920x1178. When Wineskin goes "fullscreen" at less than the actual resolution, it doesn't seem to cover the OS X dock and menubar.

Using the menu within STO to switch resolutions seems to avoid the problem, as does using the key command to toggle.

I don't think this is something that needs to be fixed urgently or anything. It's kind of nit-picking, and it says a lot that Wineskin has evolved to the point that nit-picking is all that's left.
Lt. Commander
# 1519
06-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
Using the UI button instead of keystrokes to go from windowed to fullscreen drops 22 pixels off the resolution vertically. I think Wineskin isn't detecting the OS X menubar as part of the screen, so it sees a 1920x1200 screen as 1920x1178. When Wineskin goes "fullscreen" at less than the actual resolution, it doesn't seem to cover the OS X dock and menubar.
This is part of the RandR support added into WineskinX11 so that the game through Wine can control the screen resolutions and such. The game sees the "Desktop" size as the resolution that has the 22 vertical pixels missing, because that is the main desktop size in WineskinX11. For standard windowed apps, it has to have a screen resolution to use, and thats what that resolution is for. The pixels are cut off for the top menubar on the screen. If you try to play something thats fullscreen set to this Resolution, it will just draw on the desktop wallpaper. All the other resolutions will capture the display and change the resolution to a real fullscreen.

So there will be a 1920x1178, as well as a 1920x1200 for example.... the second one would be tea actual resolution you want to set the game, but due to how STO is programmed, it tries to maximize to what it detects is your main Desktop resolution, which is the wrong one. This isn't an easy limitation to get around, since Wine right now requires X11, and that is an extra windowing server that has to be run on top of OSX. If we ever get a decent Mac Quartz driver for Wine, then X11 wouldn't be needed anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 1520
06-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Any one try using taplay with sto on osx?
I may try installing on my Mac mini today, also how does game run on Mac mini (present generation)?
Closed Thread