Lt. Commander
# 1531
06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
The new build on tribble consistantly crashes when switching to windowed mode using command-option-a.

Just checked, and switching to windowed mode from the menu inside STO does it too.

I'm on an iMac running OS X 10.6.7, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 2600 HD w/256 MB VRAM

EDIT -- I can switch to windowed mode during the first stages of loading STO, but not later on. Switching on the "Atari" and "Cryptic" load screens at the beginning will work exactly the same thing as on Holodeck. But the Tribble build will crash any time after the load screen with the starfleet symbol.

My (completely uneducated) guess is that whatever changes were made to the graphics engine are now claiming all the VRAM (or causing WIneskin to claim it all) so that there is an error and a crash when both the STO and the Mac desktop need to be displayed.

I should also point out that it is Wineskin which crashes, not STO crashing within Wineskin. I could post an error log if that would help. The summary seems to be:

Application Specific Information:
abort() called
Could not destroy window 56.
X.Org X Server 1.9.3 Build Date: 20110128

This is the thread that crashes:

Thread 2 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90e744ee __semwait_signal_nocancel + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90e743d2 nanosleep$NOCANCEL$UNIX2003 + 166
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90eef2a6 usleep$NOCANCEL$UNIX2003 + 61
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90f109c4 abort + 105
4 WineskinX11 0x0013cc0b OsAbort + 11
5 WineskinX11 0x00010270 xf86SetRootClip + 0
6 WineskinX11 0x00144698 AbortServer + 40
7 WineskinX11 0x0014484f FatalError + 175
8 WineskinX11 0x0001ac85 xprDestroyFrame + 149
9 WineskinX11 0x00028e9d RootlessDestroyFrame + 93
10 WineskinX11 0x0002963a RootlessDisableRoot + 74
11 WineskinX11 0x00022d4f RootlessUpdateRooted + 95
12 WineskinX11 0x000138e1 QuartzShowFullscreen + 257
13 WineskinX11 0x00013b6c QuartzSetRootless + 268
14 WineskinX11 0x0001670e QuartzRandRSetMode + 606
15 WineskinX11 0x0001690e QuartzRandRSetFakeRootless + 270
16 WineskinX11 0x0011d372 mieqProcessDeviceEvent + 194
17 WineskinX11 0x0011d539 mieqProcessInputEvents + 153
18 WineskinX11 0x00010f43 ProcessInputEvents + 67
19 WineskinX11 0x000e48b3 Dispatch + 115
20 WineskinX11 0x000d5eb4 dix_main + 804
21 WineskinX11 0x00015705 server_thread + 53
22 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90e347fd _pthread_start + 345
23 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90e34682 thread_start + 34

I could post the whole error log if that would help, but I'm not sure this is really a Wineskin problem anyway, but something that Cryptic changed with the current Tribble build.

I'm kind of curious if other WINE solutions are having the same issue, or if this is just an OS X thing.
not really a crash in Wine... looks like a crash in WineskinX11.. the XQuartz build in Wineskin. There are known bugs in the xorg 1.9 build thats being used, and some issues that might lead to issues like this.

I am in need of updating WineskinX11 a lot for various reasons, but I'm a bit out of commission on things at the moment after being in a car wreck... so things aren't going extremely fast in troubleshooting departments...

If someone knows Wine decently, you can try a stock custom built Wine command line using Xquartz built from Macports, which is a much newer and less buggy build for testing though...
Lt. Commander
# 1532
06-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
not really a crash in Wine... looks like a crash in WineskinX11.. the XQuartz build in Wineskin. There are known bugs in the xorg 1.9 build thats being used, and some issues that might lead to issues like this.

I am in need of updating WineskinX11 a lot for various reasons, but I'm a bit out of commission on things at the moment after being in a car wreck... so things aren't going extremely fast in troubleshooting departments...
Ick, sorry to hear that. Get well

Quote:
If someone knows Wine decently, you can try a stock custom built Wine command line using Xquartz built from Macports, which is a much newer and less buggy build for testing though...
While this is definitely beyond my level right now, I'm starting to think it might be worth learning. Before finding this project I didn't even know this sort of thing was possible.
Lt. Commander
# 1533
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry if this has been covered already, but if it has in 154 pages, i've missed it.

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of RAM, OS X 10.6.7. The graphics card is an GeForce 8600M GT. Graphics performance was better under wineskin 1.1, but i don't think i can really go back to that. I'm running 1.3.1 right now.

I'm curious what kind of graphics performance everyone gets. I have to run a little under 2/3 graphics to get reasonable performance ( I set the graphics under basic settings then switch on advanced and lower a few items like AF) , but it would be great if I could turn the graphics settings up a bit.

Also, I'm curious if I would get better performance if I installed windows under boot camp and ran STO from there (though i have to admit I really would rather not...)
thanks,
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 1534
06-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf45x
Sorry if this has been covered already, but if it has in 154 pages, i've missed it.

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of RAM, OS X 10.6.7. The graphics card is an GeForce 8600M GT. Graphics performance was better under wineskin 1.1, but i don't think i can really go back to that. I'm running 1.3.1 right now.

I'm curious what kind of graphics performance everyone gets. I have to run a little under 2/3 graphics to get reasonable performance ( I set the graphics under basic settings then switch on advanced and lower a few items like AF) , but it would be great if I could turn the graphics settings up a bit.

Also, I'm curious if I would get better performance if I installed windows under boot camp and ran STO from there (though i have to admit I really would rather not...)
thanks,
Brian
The older wrappers broke for several reasons... some of which had to do with changes to STO. The current version has a few more graphical options that will work, but it causes slow downs and is barely noticeable, so you really want to use the custom graphics settings and set things yourself and not just use the slider bars to get max performance.... definitely make sure vertical sync is off, it will kill the frame rate.... as well as running way too high of a resolution.

Being that this goes through a whole DirectX->OpenGL layer for graphics, yes you will often lose some graphics performance and ability compared to running under Windows where its all full DirectX to the graphics card. Since DirectX doesn't exist in any way outside of Windows and Xbox, theres little choice on that matter.
Lt. Commander
# 1535 First City crashes the client
06-16-2011, 07:37 AM
For what it's worth, I seem to be having the same crash beaming in to the new Klingon First City in Tribble that I have been experiencing with the transporter room in the new ESD. Any chance this problem will be fixed in the near future? I have to either dial all my graphics card specs to minimum and go to 1/2 resolution or I have to load boot camp when I want to go to those places. An increasingly nettlesome bummer.

Thanks again for all your work.
EB
Lt. Commander
# 1536
06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
The older wrappers broke for several reasons... some of which had to do with changes to STO. The current version has a few more graphical options that will work, but it causes slow downs and is barely noticeable, so you really want to use the custom graphics settings and set things yourself and not just use the slider bars to get max performance.... definitely make sure vertical sync is off, it will kill the frame rate.... as well as running way too high of a resolution.

Being that this goes through a whole DirectX->OpenGL layer for graphics, yes you will often lose some graphics performance and ability compared to running under Windows where its all full DirectX to the graphics card. Since DirectX doesn't exist in any way outside of Windows and Xbox, theres little choice on that matter.

Sorry to appear dumb, but where do I find the vertical sync setting? I'm trying to make sure it's shut off, but I can't find it.

EDIT: never mind, I found it and it was already off.
Lt. Commander
# 1537 downloader problem
06-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Ok, I do everything the instructions say, it begins to install but invariably gets to the "The program star trek downloader st.11.20110118b.10exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

It also takes about four gigs of space each time it does this.

I would like to solve this problem so I can go back to playing, or at lease figure out where my hard drive space went.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 1538
06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosukedate View Post
Ok, I do everything the instructions say, it begins to install but invariably gets to the "The program star trek downloader st.11.20110118b.10exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

It also takes about four gigs of space each time it does this.

I would like to solve this problem so I can go back to playing, or at lease figure out where my hard drive space went.

Thanks.
like the directions say.. the downloader doesn't work. Why yours would try to say 4gb was used up when it just crashes and doesn't download it... I dunno.

If you need to download the game, you need to do the official torrent download and not use their downloader program...
Lt. Commander
# 1539
06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Ok now, when I start downloadingthe game, I keep getting the "could not add or update game in games explorer" message.

if I go ahead and hit ok from that messages it says "Unable to register with games explorer"

After that it does let me start the STO launcher. I can log in and it begins to patch. Then it crashes saying, "The program Star Trek Online.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close..."

I am sorry if this was already covered somewhere but I googled it and can't find it.
Lt. Commander
# 1540
06-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosukedate View Post
Ok now, when I start downloadingthe game, I keep getting the "could not add or update game in games explorer" message.

if I go ahead and hit ok from that messages it says "Unable to register with games explorer"

After that it does let me start the STO launcher. I can log in and it begins to patch. Then it crashes saying, "The program Star Trek Online.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close..."

I am sorry if this was already covered somewhere but I googled it and can't find it.
game explorer???

If you need to download the game, you need to use the torrent download. That means using a program like uTorrent or Transmission, or whatever... that lets you download torrent files... that is nothing to do with STO, thats a normal way to get files, and has nothing to do with trying to run STO like this.

you go to the download page... http://www.startrekonline.com/download
you use the torrent file link (it says BitTorrent, but you can use any torrent program you want to use... I use Transmission), and get all of STO downloaded via the torrent. Then its like you have everything already on your drive that would be needed to install like from a disc... then you can install from that.
Closed Thread