Lt. Commander
# 1591
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-El
Tried out the new 1.3.2 on 10.7 (developer preview 4). Game loads fine, but if I try to change the screen res, it crashes to desktop immediately. Didn't have any issues running 1.3.1 on 10.7. Of course beta software + beta software is probably the reason for the crashing.
Confirmed this is still an issue in 10.7 GM and also with 10.6.8, so yay for crossfire breaking stuff! Oh Crossfire, I cant stay angry with you and your yummy shooter mode. *shoots some more monsters in the face*

Also be careful with 10.7 bugs and blaming the issues on the wrapper. I have noticed the graphics drivers are rather unstable still (my 285 GTX for Mac is running quite a bit hotter in my Mac Pro too) and quite a few OS level issues that we all have come to expect and love with each new OS release. So far had issues with shutting down with a magic jack plugged in, OS X not letting me log in with my Drobo connected, etc. On the plus side quite a few issues with virtual desktops have been fixed... though not ALL of the issues. x.x
Lt. Commander
# 1592
07-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
1.3.1 should still work fine (besides the resolution resizing crash bug that Season 4 added)... and right now overall better than 1.3.2b. I only put the beta up cuz someone asked for it... its just stuff I'm messing with, I know its got problems.
1.3.1 gave me a black screen before the Character select screen after patching to Season 4 which is why i had to use the beta wrapper.
Lt. Commander
# 1593
07-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
1.3.1 gave me a black screen before the Character select screen after patching to Season 4 which is why i had to use the beta wrapper.
you can try grabbing a fresh copy of 1.3.1. Sometimes after patching it takes mine a looong time to get to the character select screen.... but it should still work, even if it messed up a few times.
Lt. Commander
# 1594
07-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
you can try grabbing a fresh copy of 1.3.1. Sometimes after patching it takes mine a looong time to get to the character select screen.... but it should still work, even if it messed up a few times.
It's not a loading issue because it froze my entire computer and the only way out was to hold down the power button and do a hard reboot. I'll try to grab a fresh 1.3.1, but come out with the 1.3.2 final when you can.
Lt. Commander
# 1595
07-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan
It's not a loading issue because it froze my entire computer and the only way out was to hold down the power button and do a hard reboot. I'll try to grab a fresh 1.3.1, but come out with the 1.3.2 final when you can.
wow... it really shouldn't be very likely to cause something like that. It does basically capture the screen, but CMD+Q and CMD+Opt+Esc should still always work even if the screen is captured.

Wine is a bit too buggy right now in its mouse handling and newer directx features, so I wasn't really going to push an update too quick, because overall the 1.3.1 was running better for me than anything newer I've been able to get running decently.
Lt. Commander
# 1596
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Okay so I downloaded the patch for STO today... and launched the game via the client... but it loaded Champions online.... went back and reloaded the client... still only the champions online shard shows up. My STO shard is no longer there. Went into game contents and STO is there but its not being read I guess. Could the patch have messed things up?

On The Star Trek Online website it says the server is UP... but on my game client it says its down.
Lt. Commander
# 1597
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Speak of the devil, here is what a bug with new OS X 10.7 Lion GPU drivers looks like... The other common forms are artifacting and texture corruption. If you see these dont yell at the awesome Doh, WINE, or Cryptic. These are problems with Nvidia and AMD not sending Apple properly QA-ed graphics drivers (and apple not being as interested in gaming despite what they say), not issues with anything else. Then again it would be nice for Apple to release ONE OS update in the last two years that had properly working graphics drivers since they re-did the graphics subsystem in 10.6 X.X

Oh and yes I have filed several bug reports on this directly with Apple, but again cant discuss how that works since its all NDA.

P.S. its expected 10.7 will be released tomorrow. I strongly recommend NOT upgrading if you want to play STO, Wineskin, or xQuartz/X11 OpenGL based app (Cider [Civ V, The Sims 3, etc] or *nix based). OpenGL stability and support is a huge issue with all Nvidia based GPUs thanks to continued OpenGL driver issues (and some fixes that the former work-arounds now break) in GM (confirmed with 9400m, 285 GTX, and 330m). Unknown if AMD/ATI drivers are as bad as the Nvidia ones, also note the "current version" of xQuartz/X11 based wrappers aren't fully compatible with 10.7 Lion that causes issues with OpenGL and other hardware accelerated apps. There have been several changes with garbage collection, APIs being depreciated, etc causing issues. Give it a few weeks or months until these hacked togeter solutions get worked out as Apple posts the source code for the new xQuartz and people have time to adapt their implementations to the new issues, things fixed since 10.6 that break workarounds, etc.
Open CL apps, most native Open GL apps, OS X hardware acceleration APIs, etc seem to work fine without to many issues.
Lt. Commander
# 1598
07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I am having trouble just getting the darn STO program installed onto my Mac. I just bought the STO Digital Download and then I downloaded the STO Downloader from the site. I click on the STO icon and then wineskin pops up. I click on "Install Windows Software" and when prompted I select the STO Downloader. Then I choose a place to save the "Temporary Install Files" and then it starts to download STO. But after two minutes I get a message that says "STO Downloader has encountered a serious problem and needs to close"

Is there a fix for this? Am I doing something wrong? I would really appreciate some help! Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 1599
07-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotweeks View Post
I am having trouble just getting the darn STO program installed onto my Mac. I just bought the STO Digital Download and then I downloaded the STO Downloader from the site. I click on the STO icon and then wineskin pops up. I click on "Install Windows Software" and when prompted I select the STO Downloader. Then I choose a place to save the "Temporary Install Files" and then it starts to download STO. But after two minutes I get a message that says "STO Downloader has encountered a serious problem and needs to close"

Is there a fix for this? Am I doing something wrong? I would really appreciate some help! Thank you!
like it says in few places.. the Downloader program does not work. Do the Torrent download instead, and once you have the full game, then run the setup through Wineskin.app.
Lt. Commander
# 1600
07-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Okay thank you, I was able to download and install it. However now when I try to start it I instantly get a message that says "Error: Choose Process" with two empty sections to input errors. No matter what I do the program crashes after about 5 seconds. I have tried toggling between useGLSL "enabled" and "disabled" and I get the same result. Is there a fix for this?

Thank you for your help and making it possible for mac owners to play STO!
Closed Thread