Lt. Commander
# 1631
07-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help using this wineskin. I installed it to use it for Champions Online. I played when I had a PC, but moved onto to a Mac a little while ago, and now I feel like playing it again. I didn't want to go through the hassle of using boot camp and having to pay for Windows OS. (Plus, I generally don't like the idea of "partitioning" my hard drive.)

I installed the wineskin and installed CO from the disk and the patches. I logged in using my old account name (which worked, but I'm not paying for it yet, so I guess I'm automatically using the free-to-pay access).

I get passed the launcher and the cryptic/atari loading screen to a loading screen where the heroes are fighting the villains and I guess it just kinda freezes. At most, I've waited forty minutes waiting for it to load, but nothing happens. My keyboard does not respond during this time. Sound controls don't work, Command-Option-Esc wouldn't work to force quit the game. I had to shut off my macbookpro just to exit the damn screen and get back to normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a matter of it taking awhile to load? (I don't think it should take 40 minutes, though.) I've shut off my firewall to see if that was causing the problem, it doesn't make a difference either way.

Can anyone help?
Lt. Commander
# 1632
07-31-2011, 11:35 AM
While i don't play champions and can't say much about it, it would certainly help to know what your specs are, do you use this launcher, if so what version, what's your OS Lion, Snow Leopard??
Have you tried loading into Safe Mode from the Options menu in the loader?
Lt. Commander
# 1633
07-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMM18
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help using this wineskin. I installed it to use it for Champions Online. I played when I had a PC, but moved onto to a Mac a little while ago, and now I feel like playing it again. I didn't want to go through the hassle of using boot camp and having to pay for Windows OS. (Plus, I generally don't like the idea of "partitioning" my hard drive.)

I installed the wineskin and installed CO from the disk and the patches. I logged in using my old account name (which worked, but I'm not paying for it yet, so I guess I'm automatically using the free-to-pay access).

I get passed the launcher and the cryptic/atari loading screen to a loading screen where the heroes are fighting the villains and I guess it just kinda freezes. At most, I've waited forty minutes waiting for it to load, but nothing happens. My keyboard does not respond during this time. Sound controls don't work, Command-Option-Esc wouldn't work to force quit the game. I had to shut off my macbookpro just to exit the damn screen and get back to normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a matter of it taking awhile to load? (I don't think it should take 40 minutes, though.) I've shut off my firewall to see if that was causing the problem, it doesn't make a difference either way.

Can anyone help?
I ditto what Havam asked...

also, Cmd+Opt+Esc is purposefully not blocked by Wineskin fullscreen. Also you can always toggle fullscreen to a semi-window for multitasking using Cmd+Opt+A

If neither of these work, then somehow your whole machine has locked up... so you'd have to kill the power.

Knowing your system specs would help though... you an also try going into Wineskin.app -> Screen Settings and try override -> fullscreen. It does handle things much differently and works when many of the normal 'automatic' ways do not.
Lt. Commander
# 1634
07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry for not including this earlier:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

I'm gonna try some of the things you guys suggested and see what happens. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 1635
07-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam
While i don't play champions and can't say much about it, it would certainly help to know what your specs are, do you use this launcher, if so what version, what's your OS Lion, Snow Leopard??
Have you tried loading into Safe Mode from the Options menu in the loader?
Thanks for the help guys. Playing in Safe Mode and in the windowed mode helped a lot. The graphics aren't as good as what I had on my PC, but it's still fun to play!

doh123 thanks for providing what Cryptic themselves could not: an MMO that can be played on a Mac. I hope one day they make a real Mac compatible version Champions Online, until then I;m glad you came up with this!
Lt. Commander
# 1636
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMM18
Thanks for the help guys. Playing in Safe Mode and in the windowed mode helped a lot. The graphics aren't as good as what I had on my PC, but it's still fun to play!

doh123 thanks for providing what Cryptic themselves could not: an MMO that can be played on a Mac. I hope one day they make a real Mac compatible version Champions Online, until then I;m glad you came up with this!
yup, we're all grateful for doh123's work. I play on the same system as you do, and have no real issues with it. The performance under bootcamp might be slightly better, but.......

not sure if safe mode is a permanent thing, STO works great without it on my machine. Depends on the graphics settings i guess...
Lt. Commander
# 1637
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Its frustrating and hard to fix problems when other people have problems, yet it works perfectly for me...

Crossfire update has made this much more buggy than it used to be.
Lt. Commander
# 1638 awsome
08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Your work is very well appreciated. I use your wine wrapper all the time. I even donated to you. I just want to say your wrapper is awesome and I hope I speak for everyone who uses this app to say we love it and thanks for all the hard work.
Lt. Commander
# 1639
08-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Hey, I would like to donate to doh123 as well. How do I do that?
Lt. Commander
# 1640
08-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Vash View Post
Hey, I would like to donate to doh123 as well. How do I do that?
if you really want to, you can donate to Wineskin using the donate link on the Wineskin homepage. That technically donates to me since its my project. I use funds for the website and the fact Wineskin Winery had built in downloaders and stuff and I gotta have bandwidth... at least for people who make their own wrappers for games.

Its really only if you want though, I am currently getting enough donations to keep the website going, and I do it all just for fun :-)
Closed Thread