Lt. Commander
# 1641 WineSkin
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I use the wineskin winery for everything that needs windows. I love your project and keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 1642 Thank You.
08-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Thank you so much for this! This is excellent!
Lt. Commander
# 1643
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Just wondering is anyone else has any issues getting past the loading screen. It either crashes or I'll get as far as the music playing but the starfleet emblem is still up over everything.

Thanks!

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Lt. Commander
# 1644
08-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Yah stuffs still messed up. Keep getting a kernel panic on my 6,2 MacBook Pro. Forcing full screen, everything set to minumum /w the current beta version. Nvidia drivers just keep going emo whenever you start moving or doing crap. Oh and this is using the latest version of the big kitty still in the Apple oven.
Lt. Commander
# 1645
08-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Ive tried this version on my Mac, and surprisingly to say it does work, however not as I've had hoped (Macbook Pro 15" late 2010)

The graphics aint optimal (aka no Anti aliasing support and alot of other features which are greyed out), and the FPS drop is too much if you ask me.

And some other minor problems, I just need a stable build since I'm a PvPer and all.

Don't see this post as negative because I really like how you try to make this possible, but its not going to work for me, ill stick with bootcamp. Well at least I tried like you asked
Lt. Commander
# 1646
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Sorry for not reading through the whole thread here.

I am curious why Parallels 6 doesn't work with STO.

I have a 2011 3.4ghz i7 iMac with 16 gigs of ram, a solid state drive and the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2 gigs of video ram. With my configuration this is currently the fastest Macintosh ever made, so I a bit confused at why Parallels couldn't run it decently.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 1647
08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I just need "step by step" instructions on how to install all the programs! It's so fustrating! For instance, where do I download the programs into? and how do I activate it? Please help!?!
Lt. Commander
# 1648
08-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Stewart
Just wondering is anyone else has any issues getting past the loading screen. It either crashes or I'll get as far as the music playing but the starfleet emblem is still up over everything.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Seems a few people with 9400s have had problems since Crossfire..Some are using STO's safe mode to fix it or something? I do not really know for sure.. you might look back through the last few posts int he thread where people have been talking about it. I haven't gotten really solid info on it yet... but Crossfire has made many things not work as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athirne View Post
Yah stuffs still messed up. Keep getting a kernel panic on my 6,2 MacBook Pro. Forcing full screen, everything set to minumum /w the current beta version. Nvidia drivers just keep going emo whenever you start moving or doing crap. Oh and this is using the latest version of the big kitty still in the Apple oven.
Some people have downloaded the nvidia drivers from nvidia.com thats made for 10.6 and installing them on 10.7 and saying they actually have less graphics problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by congested View Post
Sorry for not reading through the whole thread here.

I am curious why Parallels 6 doesn't work with STO.

I have a 2011 3.4ghz i7 iMac with 16 gigs of ram, a solid state drive and the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2 gigs of video ram. With my configuration this is currently the fastest Macintosh ever made, so I a bit confused at why Parallels couldn't run it decently.

Any help would be appreciated.
Not what this thread is about... and I haven't ever tested it, but its probably nothing to do with horsepower, but just compatibility. Parallels 6 emulates most of the computer hardware, so it is not 100% compatible, its just close. It also cannot use your GPU directly, it uses WIne code just like the wrapper discussed in this thread does to handle Direct3D to OpenGL translation. It does run in VMWare Fusion though, but pretty poorly.

Now with the Wineskin wrapper I have here... it will run MUCH faster and better than it does in any Virtual Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v9ngu9rd View Post
I just need "step by step" instructions on how to install all the programs! It's so fustrating! For instance, where do I download the programs into? and how do I activate it? Please help!?!
The step by step is in the directions that come with the wrapper. If your having a specific issue with some step you are not understanding, please ask about that specific thing thats troubling you. Asking a vague "help me with everything" question doesn't really help us know what part you are having problems with...
Lt. Commander
# 1649
08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Either Parallels or Fusion should work with STO, i dont see why not. (Believe it or not I could even run GTA4 on Fusion or Parallels, I cannot remember which it was.

The FPS wasnt TOO bad altho the overhead of the part emulation was too slow.
I dont think you wanna play STO like that either.
Lt. Commander
# 1650
08-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Not what this thread is about... and I haven't ever tested it, but its probably nothing to do with horsepower, but just compatibility. Parallels 6 emulates most of the computer hardware, so it is not 100% compatible, its just close. It also cannot use your GPU directly, it uses WIne code just like the wrapper discussed in this thread does to handle Direct3D to OpenGL translation. It does run in VMWare Fusion though, but pretty poorly.

Now with the Wineskin wrapper I have here... it will run MUCH faster and better than it does in any Virtual Machine.
Thank you very much. I was hesitant to do so, but I will give it a try.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
Either Parallels or Fusion should work with STO, i dont see why not. (Believe it or not I could even run GTA4 on Fusion or Parallels, I cannot remember which it was.

The FPS wasnt TOO bad altho the overhead of the part emulation was too slow.
I dont think you wanna play STO like that either.
Interesting. Yes, one would imagine GTAIV would require a lot more than STO. I know that Parallels has a forum thread for compatibility requests and many have posted that they would like to see Star Trek Online "supported in the next version" ... but to me it doesn't really make much sense. I think the problem is the game not recognizing the graphics cards, no?. (Sorry to OP for going off topic, perhaps a dedicated thread about using Parallels for STO is in order.)

edit2:

Well the game is running quite well using the "unofficial" patch. I also pumped up the video quality settings as much as I could and everything is still fine. Thanks!
Closed Thread