Lt. Commander
# 1671
08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Guess now that PWE is in the game we have No chance whatsoever for a native mac client so I want to say thank you once more guys and keep up the good work!
Lt. Commander
# 1672
08-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirminator2k View Post
The installer doesn't even get a chance to run because it throws up the temp folder error. Odd.

Anyway I solved the problem by copying the Star Trek Online folder from my PC over to her MacBook Pro. Works fine, albeit with some wobbly graphics issues, which are to be expected.
it doesn't seem to be perfect on everyones GPU... right now I play on a AMD 6750 and it runs fantastic, no graphics problems or anything.

I vaguely remember the temp folder error waaaaay back in Beta and it was because the Temp folder in the user home folder in the wrapper didn't exist. I just created the folder and then it worked fine.

The only annoying part with Crossfire right now is you really need to go in and set it to Override->fullscreen with your desired resolution to get it to work the best. I'm still not sure what they screwed up in Crossfire, but theres a few things Wine really doesn't like.
Lt. Commander
# 1673
08-20-2011, 08:41 PM
hello

I'm trying wineskin out on a MBP i5 with a nVidia 330M (256MB). I get the cryptic and splash load screens but then the screen goes black and the machine is completely unresponsive. the CMD-OPT-A command is ineffective and I have to do a hard reboot. this occurs even when I do the "override-fullscreen" workaround. any advice would be helpful...thanks!

*edit* manually disabling the discrete graphics card will allow the game to run. I used the gfxCardStatus utility.
Lt. Commander
# 1674
08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KineticImpulser
hello

I'm trying wineskin out on a MBP i5 with a nVidia 330M (256MB). I get the cryptic and splash load screens but then the screen goes black and the machine is completely unresponsive. the CMD-OPT-A command is ineffective and I have to do a hard reboot. this occurs even when I do the "override-fullscreen" workaround. any advice would be helpful...thanks!

*edit* manually disabling the discrete graphics card will allow the game to run. I used the gfxCardStatus utility.
I have notices occasionally when loading a new area or starting the game, the picture will freeze at a certain point, but by the sound you can tell the game is actually working. I'm not sure this is related to the problem you are having though, and it has been rare for me, never twice in a row for sure.

Are you on 10.6 or 10.7? I know 10.7 has nvidia driver issues.

If it seems to lock up you should be able to hit CMD+Q to quit it at any time... if that is still not working, then there is some major problem... and if its 10.7 I'm not surprised. There are nvidia drivers for OSX (10.6) up on nvidia site. Some people have told me they have installed these in 10.7 and while not fixing all driver issues in 10.7, that it ran most things much better.
Lt. Commander
# 1675
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Hmm, where do the crash logs get tossed? I've been getting that ESD/First City crash (and a few other random ones) even with the override enabled.
Lt. Commander
# 1676
08-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsaber View Post
Hmm, where do the crash logs get tossed? I've been getting that ESD/First City crash (and a few other random ones) even with the override enabled.
There is not current crash fix for that.. some people have it, some do not.

The override in screen settings fixes a resolution switching crash.

STO log files are somewhere in the STO folder... pretty easy to find. For max performance, Wineskin itself doesn't keep any logs unless you launch it from the Test Run button in Wineskin.app.
Lt. Commander
# 1677
08-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Wine 1.3.27 came out with some changes that affects AA in games, so I thought I'd try it out.

AA looks like its working fine in STO with it... looks really nice actually.

Its not ready to play the game though because since 1.3.25 changes to mmdevapi has caused the sound to no longer work, and trying to use mmdevapi causes the game to totally crash since 1.3.18. hopefully sometime soon though it'll be possible to make a newer version with better graphics support.
Lt. Commander
# 1678
08-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Wine 1.3.27 came out with some changes that affects AA in games, so I thought I'd try it out.

AA looks like its working fine in STO with it... looks really nice actually.

Its not ready to play the game though because since 1.3.25 changes to mmdevapi has caused the sound to no longer work, and trying to use mmdevapi causes the game to totally crash since 1.3.18. hopefully sometime soon though it'll be possible to make a newer version with better graphics support.
Sorry, but for what does AA stand?

Also, any chance we might be able to have shadows?

Thanks.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 1679
08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
I decided to try a nuke and pave on my mac to see if I could get any better performance from the game and computer in general. I've copied 1.3.1 from an external drive and tried to load now several times with the same result: and the "Loading..." screen the screen flickers for several minutes then STO crashes. Any suggestions?

I ran STO from the same firewire drive a couple weeks ago at an apple store to see how STO looks on a new MBP, and it worked flawlessly.

EDIT: alright, I think the 6th time loading it now it finally loaded, but at the character selections screen there were no graphics, only the music playing and blue and black square everywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 1680
08-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
Sorry, but for what does AA stand?

Also, any chance we might be able to have shadows?

Thanks.

EB
Antialiasing option in the game... which smooths jagged edges

Low shadows currently work, but are rather useless.

medium and high shadows are still not available... not sure which limitation is causing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf45x
I decided to try a nuke and pave on my mac to see if I could get any better performance from the game and computer in general. I've copied 1.3.1 from an external drive and tried to load now several times with the same result: and the "Loading..." screen the screen flickers for several minutes then STO crashes. Any suggestions?
what crashes? STO as in a Cryptic crash? or an OSX crash? You may need to try using the Override graphic settings thing described in the main post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf45x
EDIT: alright, I think the 6th time loading it now it finally loaded, but at the character selections screen there were no graphics, only the music playing and blue and black square everywhere.
uihhh... I haven't heard of that one before... what is your system?
Closed Thread