Lt. Commander
# 1761 STO no longer starts on Mac
11-21-2011, 01:58 AM
What's going on here? My STO will no longer start up on my mac. I wonder if it had something to do with the last update. The icon just bounces once and then stopped. It's been running really well till the past week or so. Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 1762
11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTaye
What's going on here? My STO will no longer start up on my mac. I wonder if it had something to do with the last update. The icon just bounces once and then stopped. It's been running really well till the past week or so. Any suggestions?
I'm going to try to put together a new build... but it should still be working... You might need to do the full file scan in STO. I've had corrupted STO files before that had nothing to do with using the Wineskin wrapper to play.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I'm going to try to put together a new build... but it should still be working... You might need to do the full file scan in STO. I've had corrupted STO files before that had nothing to do with using the Wineskin wrapper to play.
Hi thanks for that. I had to reinstall the whole game from the CD and download again all the patches but it's working again now. Next time I'll try to do the full file scan first. How do you do that?
Looking forward to the new build when you've finished it.
I never had the chance to say this before, but I am really grateful that you've created this wrapper because I'm such a huge trekkie and a mac user at the same time. When I heard that they're making STO I was thrilled... until I discovered it was only for PC. So what you've done is such a great thing. THank you.
Lt. Commander
# 1764
11-22-2011, 08:48 PM
I haven't played in a while... but on my new build the loading screen right after Cryptic but before character selection is insanely slow... like taking several minutes to get to character selection.

Regardless I'm still going to release this one. It has a special built Wineskin engine. Its mostly Wine 1.3.33, but its using the sound system from an older build since sound is still broken in these later versions.

You will want to turn Antialiasing on or there might be graphic anomalies... looks better with AA on anyways.

I'll update the first post about it.
Lt. Commander
# 1765
11-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
I haven't played in a while... but on my new build the loading screen right after Cryptic but before character selection is insanely slow... like taking several minutes to get to character selection.

Regardless I'm still going to release this one. It has a special built Wineskin engine. Its mostly Wine 1.3.33, but its using the sound system from an older build since sound is still broken in these later versions.

You will want to turn Antialiasing on or there might be graphic anomalies... looks better with AA on anyways.

I'll update the first post about it.
Okay. I'll keep those things in mind and I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Lt. Commander
# 1766
11-28-2011, 02:33 PM
not sure if anyones used the 1.3.2 version I stuck up... I'd like feedback... I haven't actually used it too much since I've been busy with SWTOR beta (which totally smokes STO honestly, and sadly, since I like Star Trek better overall), and Skyrim.

Just make sure you turn AA on with it if you have it off you may see some minor graphics screw ups like in nebulas and stuff. even just 2X AA will make it look a lot better. From what I played with it, it was running great... same as several test versions I was running, just with the audio fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 1767
11-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Quote:
not sure if anyones used the 1.3.2 version I stuck up... I'd like feedback... I haven't actually used it too much since I've been busy with SWTOR beta (which totally smokes STO honestly, and sadly, since I like Star Trek better overall), and Skyrim.

Just make sure you turn AA on with it if you have it off you may see some minor graphics screw ups like in nebulas and stuff. even just 2X AA will make it look a lot better. From what I played with it, it was running great... same as several test versions I was running, just with the audio fixed.
Oh yes! SWTOR really rocks big time. It actually managed to give out lore and interest STO lacked. I was also occupied with SWTOR Bete during the weekend and I loved every minute of it! Are you by any chance working on a wrapper for SWTOR to run in on macs?
Lt. Commander
# 1768
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by escozul View Post
Oh yes! SWTOR really rocks big time. It actually managed to give out lore and interest STO lacked. I was also occupied with SWTOR Bete during the weekend and I loved every minute of it! Are you by any chance working on a wrapper for SWTOR to run in on macs?
I had a decent working one... needed some more work... but the last beta update totally broke the server log in and server selection... so I'm not really looking at working on it more until after release and they won't be making any more big changes.
Lt. Commander
# 1769
12-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Quote:

I wonder if SWTOR is available for mac? Or is the beta you're talking about for Mac?
Yeah I've been pretty preoccupied with playing Skyrim too on the PS3. It's a crazy big game for a one player game.
Downloaded updates for the Season 5 of STO last night, more than 1GB of it. I've been really looking forward to it because it contains the long-awaited duty officer system. Started it up, and then... all I see is a screen of colourful static. What the...??? Do you know what's might have happened? Was the patch corrupted?
Lt. Commander
# 1770
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Quote:
I wonder if SWTOR is available for mac? Or is the beta you're talking about for Mac?
WIndos only and they will not say anything about a Mac version except "No Plans" which is insane since they say they want to compete with WoW... and WoW has a million Mac players... Steam has near 1.8 million active Mac users even with their limited selection...

Quote:
Yeah I've been pretty preoccupied with playing Skyrim too on the PS3. It's a crazy big game for a one player game.
I been playing it with a hacked Cider wrapper on OSX... still too many problems in Wine with it at the moment, but the Cider hack is running it great. If they'd just pay transgaming, they could have a selling Mac port of Skyrim in like a week, but Bethesda is very anti-Mac. Even Oblivion ran great for years under Cider... as good as a native port would, and they still wouldn't do that either.

Quote:
Downloaded updates for the Season 5 of STO last night, more than 1GB of it. I've been really looking forward to it because it contains the long-awaited duty officer system. Started it up, and then... all I see is a screen of colourful static. What the...??? Do you know what's might have happened? Was the patch corrupted?
no idea... I have yet to ever even try it. Got a bit bored of STO long ago... was hoping the game would get more exciting, but it just never did.
Closed Thread