Lt. Commander
# 191
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I copied my working STO install over from my Windows Vista disk and followed all the instructions. However upon launching the ported version, I only get crashes. The crash happens in the same place every time I try to launch the application - during the loading screen after login to the game. I get an error box ("CrypticError:Oops!").

I revised my installation and browsed the error log. This is what I found:

100201 20:50:01 24 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXLoader.dll!
100201 20:50:02 31 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput9_1_0.dll!
100201 20:50:02 38 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll!
100201 20:50:03 45 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmod_event_net.dll!
100201 20:50:04 52 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmod_event_netL.dll!
100201 20:50:04 59 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/nvtt.dll!
100201 20:50:05 66 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/NxCooking.dll!
100201 20:50:06 73 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmodex.dll!
100201 20:50:06 80 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmodexL.dll!
100201 20:50:07 87 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/msidcrl40.dll!
100201 20:50:08 94 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_33.dll!
100201 20:50:08 101 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXCore.dll!
100201 20:50:09 108 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_36.dll!
100201 20:50:10 115 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/D3DX9_37.dll!
100201 20:50:11 122 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/GameClient.exe!
100201 20:50:12 129 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcm80.dll!
100201 20:50:13 136 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest!
100201 20:50:14 143 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcp80.dll!
100201 20:50:14 150 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/physxcudart_20.dll!
100201 20:50:15 157 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/steam_api.dll!
100201 20:50:15 164 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcr80.dll!
100201 20:50:16 171 MasterControlProgram[1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe!

I have checked and none of the files are actually locked - I have both read and write access to all of them, despite what the log wants me to believe.

Unfortunately I have very little time on my hands to do much testing this week (working night shifts away from my Mac and won't be able to even start playing before Friday). However I'll try to give you the info needed to solve this issue here, hopefully it might be of help to anyone else running into a similar issue.

My specs:
Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008), 2.8 GHz x 8 cores, 10 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB, 4 internal hard drives, running Mac OS X 10.5.8.
Lt. Commander
# 192
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpot View Post
I copied my working STO install over from my Windows Vista disk and followed all the instructions. However upon launching the ported version, I only get crashes. The crash happens in the same place every time I try to launch the application - during the loading screen after login to the game. I get an error box ("CrypticError:Oops!").
are you on an admin account?

the files might have gotten messed up in the transfer... sometimes they get locked copying off a read only folder. I know you said you checked the permissions, but for the heck of it.. you can go inside the wrapper, on the Contents folder, and change it to be full read/write and hit "apply to enclosed items" so it'll re-write permissions to every file in the wrapper.... but its more likely something else... might want to set the Cryptic launcher to do a full file check.
Lt. Commander
# 193
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks again for everything Doh123

This is interesting, ive been playing on an 17" 2.8 2009 4GB Ram MacBook pro on the high end 9600GT graphics card. I have just also tried the integrated 9400 low end card using the same specs @1280x800 and the game played the same. No real difference in frame rate, quality of textures etc.. (everything set to hi)

To be sure I did the Starbase Fleet Action on both cards and not difference as far as I could tell expect the 9400 ran a lot cooler. I find this strange considering how much more I get from Call of Duty 2 (mac wrapper port) when using the 9600GT over the 9400. If I try the game crawls to a halt on the 9400 unless everything is set to low.

Now ive read you are having trouble with the graphics drivers, AA etc... and cards not being recognised. Im not well informed in the process you are following but do you think maybe both cards are getting a lower default setting in the game due to the wrapper?

Im going to install Windows 7 to see what the 9600GT is capable of under real conditions to see if it is really getting held back.
Lt. Commander
# 194
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP.
This is interesting, ive been playing on an 17" 2.8 2009 4GB Ram MacBook pro on the high end 9600GT graphics card. I have just also tried the integrated 9400 low end card using the same specs @1280x800 and the game played the same. No real difference in frame rate, quality of textures etc.. (everything set to hi)

To be sure I did the Starbase Fleet Action on both cards and not difference as far as I could tell expect the 9400 ran a lot cooler. I find this strange considering how much more I get from Call of Duty 2 (mac wrapper port) when using the 9600GT over the 9400. If I try the game crawls to a halt on the 9400 unless everything is set to low.

Now ive read you are having trouble with the graphics drivers, AA etc... and cards not being recognised. Im not well informed in the process you are following but do you think maybe both cards are getting a lower default setting in the game due to the wrapper?
I doubt the game is scaling back what its doing... Wine sure isn't.

the 9400M is not that slow.. its great for integrated graphics. I have played this under both my 9600GT and my 9400M, and while the 9400M does run it very well, it does NOT run it as good as the 9600GT. Its most evident on ground missions, but to even get the same frame rate, I had to turn down a bunch of settings. at 1280x800 there wont be as much of a problem since the 9400 will be able to keep up better. I've been playing at 1440x900 on the 9600.

The antialiasing working is nothing to do with how they game is detecting anything. I can easily set up Wine so that the game sees AA and the option is lit up and you can choose 0 to 16x.... it just doesn't actually do anything. This is an issue in Wine, as its not the only title with AA problems. I left the AA disabled, so it would be grayed out, so people wouldn't have to worry about it being there... since it doesn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 195
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi all...

Much thanks to doh, coderanger and everyone helping out here!

I'm actually having a problem starting up the Star Trek Online.app. Looking at the logs, it looks like the XQuartz/X11 startup is failing at keyboard initialization. I re-extracted it from the distribution zip file, and copied in my Cryptic Studios folder into drive_c/Program Files. Does anyone know what I can try to get past this error?

I tried downloading Wineskin RC6 standalone, and trying to run a Wineskin tool like wineconfig or regedit, but it produces the same keyboard init failure in the Wineskin RC6 X11 log.

Thanks!

--Erick

Quote:
X11.app: DISPLAY does not look like a launchd set variable, unsetting.
X11.app: main(): argc=8
argv[0] = /Users/erick/Applications/Star Trek Online.app/Contents/MacOS/Star Trek Online.app/Contents/MacOS/WineskinX11
argv[1] = :153
argv[2] = -depth
argv[3] = 24
argv[4] = +xinerama
argv[5] = -br
argv[6] = +extension
argv[7] = WineskinLine
Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.
X11.app: No launchd socket handed off, unsetting DISPLAY
X11.app: do_start_x11_server(): argc=8
argv[0] = /Users/erick/Applications/Star Trek Online.app/Contents/MacOS/Star Trek Online.app/Contents/MacOS/WineskinX11
argv[1] = :153
argv[2] = -depth
argv[3] = 24
argv[4] = +xinerama
argv[5] = -br
argv[6] = +extension
argv[7] = WineskinLine
Attempting to use pixel depth of 24
[mi] Extension "WineskinLine" is not recognized
[mi] Only the following extensions can be run-time enabled:
[mi] Generic Events
[mi] DAMAGE
[mi] DOUBLE-BUFFER
[mi] GLX
[mi] MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[mi] MIT-SHM
[mi] RANDR
[mi] RENDER
[mi] X-Resource
[mi] XFIXES
[mi] XINERAMA
[mi] XTEST
[mi] XVideo
Xquartz starting:
X.Org X Server 1.7.2
Build Date: 20091129
[dix] Could not init font path element /Applications/.Wineskin/share/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element /Applications/.Wineskin/share/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element /Applications/.Wineskin/share/fonts/OTF, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element /Applications/.Wineskin/share/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element /Applications/.Wineskin/share/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element /Applications/.Wineskin/share/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
(EE) XKB: Couldn't open rules file /Applications/.Wineskin/share/X11/xkb/rules/base
XKB: Failed to compile keymap
Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.

Fatal server error:
Failed to activate core devices.
OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting Xquartz...
start_x11_server: (ipc/mig) server died
Lt. Commander
# 196 Works!
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Just installed this on my 10.6 Core2Duo Hackintosh. I'm getting better framerates than I do in windows 7 x64! Go figure. (Oh, it's probably because of no antialiasing, hmm.)

Now if we can just get fonts that look better.

Excellent work!
Lt. Commander
# 197
02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirrrk
Hi all...

Much thanks to doh, coderanger and everyone helping out here!

I'm actually having a problem starting up the Star Trek Online.app. Looking at the logs, it looks like the XQuartz/X11 startup is failing at keyboard initialization. I re-extracted it from the distribution zip file, and copied in my Cryptic Studios folder into drive_c/Program Files. Does anyone know what I can try to get past this error?

I tried downloading Wineskin RC6 standalone, and trying to run a Wineskin tool like wineconfig or regedit, but it produces the same keyboard init failure in the Wineskin RC6 X11 log.

Thanks!

--Erick
the keyboard config Xquartz switched to.. I could not get it to work in anything but a hard coded location. Most libraries I can have fallbacks set, so if its not in the right location, then its fine.... the keyboard config, I never figured out a way.... (yet). Xquartz was never designed to be movable like this... so I had to figure out how to work around some of the hard coded limitations.

What you may be seeing... currently Wineskin can only run if your on an account with admin access, which is a normal default account for most home users. This is because you need to have full read/write access to the /Applications folder. It creates a symlink from /Applications/.Wineskin (the location X11 thinks its running from) into the wrapper... just for a moment. It only uses the symlink so that the keyboard config can find its config file correctly....

So long story short, the only time I've seen that error, is when you do not have an account that has write access to /Applications folder, which is usually some type of limited account that isn't allowed to install software.

I'm still working on ways to get around these limitations... for non-admin accounts, and still be portable, but its kinda been back burner.
Lt. Commander
# 198
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevulpine View Post
Now if we can just get fonts that look better.
There is just no Font AA in the game which is why they look messed up when they are small. (as far as I can tell). Its probably due to the same reason AA wont work..... fonts in there look fine at large resolutions. Its not a standard Windows font issue, since I have those fonts working fine... its because somehow STO is using their own built in rendered fonts...
Lt. Commander
# 199
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
What you may be seeing... currently Wineskin can only run if your on an account with admin access, which is a normal default account for most home users. This is because you need to have full read/write access to the /Applications folder. It creates a symlink from /Applications/.Wineskin (the location X11 thinks its running from) into the wrapper... just for a moment. It only uses the symlink so that the keyboard config can find its config file correctly....

So long story short, the only time I've seen that error, is when you do not have an account that has write access to /Applications folder, which is usually some type of limited account that isn't allowed to install software.
Hi Doh...

Yep, that's probably it. I'm running it using a non-admin account (my normal account for security considerations). I do own the box, so I can create a symlink manually, if that will suffice. What (relative) path/subdirectory is it expecting /Applications/.Wineskin to point to under Star Trek Online.app?

Thanks again!

--Erick
Lt. Commander
# 200 Whoops
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I jumped the gun. I have no alt key access - i.e. the default bind for "Transwarp to starbase" is alt+1, but hitting that attempts to fire my main phaser array (as if I pressed 1 alone)

Logitech G19, with option and command swapped in OSX keyboard pane (alt on keyboard = cmd, windows key = option). Neither option nor command trigger 'alt' behavior.

Control works. Just not Alt.
Closed Thread