Ensign
# 2151
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
can I get what the crash really is after the update? wine log, x11 log... stuff from Console, as well as the crash log?
http://d.pr/f/oB0Y

Included:

- console.txt (from Console)
- LastRunWine.log
- LastRunX11.log
- pcl.log

I cleared/deleted STO related log files before running it (hoping it would crash). It did.

Just to be clear, the "crash" always happens after clicking Engage. I say "crash" because from a user perspective, STO just disappears. No crash dialog or anything. This appears to happen regardless of the X11 I use (WineSkin internal or XQuartz).

I'm happy to do this as many times as you require, so please lean on me for testing :-)

Last edited by cliffstah; 07-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Career Officer
# 2152
07-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffstah View Post
http://d.pr/f/oB0Y

Included:

- console.txt (from Console)
- LastRunWine.log
- LastRunX11.log
- pcl.log

I cleared/deleted STO related log files before running it (hoping it would crash). It did.

Just to be clear, the "crash" always happens after clicking Engage. I say "crash" because from a user perspective, STO just disappears. No crash dialog or anything. This appears to happen regardless of the X11 I use (WineSkin internal or XQuartz).

I'm happy to do this as many times as you require, so please lean on me for testing :-)
yeah... thanks.. thats a bug in XQuartz thats never been tracked down (pretty rare) that causes it to crash at times. I'm not sure how you are getting it though, because this is the first time I've ever seen it happen in Wine when Wine is using a Virtual Desktop. If you set the Screen Settings back to Automatic, you'll see it crash any time it tries to change resolutions. Maybe even with the virtual desktop it is having some weird issue with 2560x1440? Its spamming that over and over in the console which it shouldn't be doing... but X is failing to change then crashing.
Ensign
# 2153
07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
yeah... thanks.. thats a bug in XQuartz thats never been tracked down (pretty rare) that causes it to crash at times. I'm not sure how you are getting it though, because this is the first time I've ever seen it happen in Wine when Wine is using a Virtual Desktop. If you set the Screen Settings back to Automatic, you'll see it crash any time it tries to change resolutions. Maybe even with the virtual desktop it is having some weird issue with 2560x1440? Its spamming that over and over in the console which it shouldn't be doing... but X is failing to change then crashing.
Well then it's even more odd, because I have periods of getting it *all* the time. I haven't found any rhyme or reason to it yet. Sometimes, I can go weeks (months) without crashing on startup. Other times - like now - I have to try launching STO a number of times before it'll actually work. Sometimes 5 or 10 times in a row. Sometimes even more.

Guaranteed, a day or two from now - perhaps after the next update - I won't see it again for a while.

It doesn't happen on my MBP (which my Wife uses to STO), nor on my sister's MBP. So it must be something specific to this setup huh..

Any thoughts as to what I might be able to try to work around it?
Career Officer
# 2154
07-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Well then it's even more odd, because I have periods of getting it *all* the time. I haven't found any rhyme or reason to it yet. Sometimes, I can go weeks (months) without crashing on startup. Other times - like now - I have to try launching STO a number of times before it'll actually work. Sometimes 5 or 10 times in a row. Sometimes even more.

Guaranteed, a day or two from now - perhaps after the next update - I won't see it again for a while.

It doesn't happen on my MBP (which my Wife uses to STO), nor on my sister's MBP. So it must be something specific to this setup huh..

Any thoughts as to what I might be able to try to work around it?
first I'd try running a different resolution... maybe the same as your using on the MBP, and see if it still happens. Would at least narrow down its a resolution issue. The X server might just have an issue with how STO is handling itself if the resolution is over a certain amount, and your MBP is running a lot lower res. I cannot find, or have heard of, any game besides STO that can crash the X server like this. It didn't use to, it was some update long ago that started doing it.
Ensign
# 2155
08-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
first I'd try running a different resolution... maybe the same as your using on the MBP, and see if it still happens. Would at least narrow down its a resolution issue. The X server might just have an issue with how STO is handling itself if the resolution is over a certain amount, and your MBP is running a lot lower res. I cannot find, or have heard of, any game besides STO that can crash the X server like this. It didn't use to, it was some update long ago that started doing it.
I'll try that and see what happens, though obviously I'd prefer to run at full resolution if I can! The main reason being that I often like to run STO in the background whilst doing other things.

Talking of which, I have another weird issue that has just reared its head. I've never had this before, but I cannot seem to run STO in the background any more... I hit CMD+ALT+A to run in a window, and within 5 seconds it fullscreens itself again.. No matter how many times I un-fullscreen it, within 5 seconds it reverts..
Career Officer
# 2156
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
I'll try that and see what happens, though obviously I'd prefer to run at full resolution if I can! The main reason being that I often like to run STO in the background whilst doing other things.

Talking of which, I have another weird issue that has just reared its head. I've never had this before, but I cannot seem to run STO in the background any more... I hit CMD+ALT+A to run in a window, and within 5 seconds it fullscreens itself again.. No matter how many times I un-fullscreen it, within 5 seconds it reverts..
yeah... STO is calling the resolution over and over again through Wine for some reason, as evidenced by the logs saying it was changing res over and over again... That doesn't happen to me though, so its something to do with your machine. Anytime Wineskin sees a resolution change was requested, it does it... so your Cmd+Opt+A is really just a resolution change request as well (to the full rootless desktop resolution).
Ensign
# 2157
08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
yeah... STO is calling the resolution over and over again through Wine for some reason, as evidenced by the logs saying it was changing res over and over again... That doesn't happen to me though, so its something to do with your machine. Anytime Wineskin sees a resolution change was requested, it does it... so your Cmd+Opt+A is really just a resolution change request as well (to the full rootless desktop resolution).
Weird, because that one has only just started happening.. Since I updated to 2.5.6. I've tried with XQuartz too, but I can't seem to get STO past Engage using that.

Also, I have noticed that when STO won't go past Engage that if I put my display to sleep then wake it up and try immediately, it works. I've tried it a few times, but not enough to rule out coincidence..
Career Officer
# 2158
08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Weird, because that one has only just started happening.. Since I updated to 2.5.6. I've tried with XQuartz too, but I can't seem to get STO past Engage using that.
if you have the "always keep logs" option on, or are using Test Run.... that along with Override->Fullscreen which you need for STO will cause resolution changing problems, and things that kick you back to fullscreen etc... This is because on Override, Wine isn't allowed to handle anything, so Wineskin is actually reading log info to figure out what to do. The method I'm using doesn't work right if it keeps building up a big log... and I'm not currently sure of a better way to do it.
Quote:
Also, I have noticed that when STO won't go past Engage that if I put my display to sleep then wake it up and try immediately, it works. I've tried it a few times, but not enough to rule out coincidence..
no clue... doesn't make sense to me.
Ensign
# 2159
08-03-2012, 02:51 AM
I am having trouble with to small window.. how do I make it as big as my screen? I have tried different settings in the wineskin but it seems to be the same.
Career Officer
# 2160
08-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejskarsgard View Post
I am having trouble with to small window.. how do I make it as big as my screen? I have tried different settings in the wineskin but it seems to be the same.
for best usage...

before launching... go in Wineskin.app Screen Settings and make sure its on Override->Fullscreen and select the resolution you want to use in STO.

After you are fully into STO, the resolution in there might have changed during launch again depending on your settings. Go into STO graphics settings and set it for fullscreen then choose the same exact resolution you chose in Wineskin.... then from that point on it should be fine.

Make sure the resolution you choose is exact in both the X and Y part. If you choose one of the wrong ones, it could draw everything on your desktop.
Closed Thread