Lt. Commander
# 211 MacBook OS X
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a new 13" MacBook ( 2.26 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, NVidia Geforce 9400M) and the ONLY reason I've kept Windows on it was for STO. I want to thank you for putting the effort to make this Mac compatible,
The fonts are a little wonky (still legible tho) but everything else runs just fine, sound and everything! So the fonts are just something I'll deal with.

Now I can finally get rid of Windows for good!!!
Lt. Commander
# 212
02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevulpine View Post
No, trust me, I said 24 Gigabytes because it was 24,000 Megabytes. I'd played for three hours at best. I gzipped the log down and managed to stuff it into a space of 421 Megabytes, if you want to figure out why it was thrashing so bad. What made me discover it is when I quit out of the game, the application bundle had jumped from the 8gb range to 33GB. I went sniffing to find out why and found that logfile.

If my math is right, that means it was writing about 2.2 megabytes of logfile per second. That's a little extreme. If it does it again I'm going to symlink the log path to /dev/null.
No idea how it got that huge. I've noticed that under users there is a cache that gets bigger all the time, and I've set beta 3 to clear it every launch.

How ever that happened, it shouldn't happen in beta 3, since it only crests full logs if run from inside WineskinConfig.app
Lt. Commander
# 213
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Updated post about beta3. Works better than beta2, and don't have to type /renderscale anymore with AA turned on.
Lt. Commander
# 214
02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Ok so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I bought the retail copy this morning. I'm on OS X 10.6 and I started up wineskin, selected the .exe straight from the STO disk. Currently says it's installing.

Did I miss something?
Lt. Commander
# 215
02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Reason I ask is that it seems to be "stuck" at about 90% of the install. The install window is still cycling through all the screenshots, but the bar isn't moving. Just making sure it takes time to install rather than sitting here for hours only to realize I didn't do something correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 216
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I've noticed that wineskin is producing huge logs (on the order of 10GB) when playing for a couple hours. Is there a way to turn this logging off or make it less verbose so my logs aren't 1.2x the size of the app itself?

Otherwise, excellent work so far. I'll need to check out beta3 tonight.
Lt. Commander
# 217
02-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm downloading Beta3, I hope it has upgrade instructions as I could not find them in Beta2.
Lt. Commander
# 218
02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfish963 View Post
Ok so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I bought the retail copy this morning. I'm on OS X 10.6 and I started up wineskin, selected the .exe straight from the STO disk. Currently says it's installing.

Did I miss something?

Reason I ask is that it seems to be "stuck" at about 90% of the install. The install window is still cycling through all the screenshots, but the bar isn't moving. Just making sure it takes time to install rather than sitting here for hours only to realize I didn't do something correctly.
I do not have a retail disc yet to test with... so you tell me how it works :-) It should install just fine though... if not I'll have to figure out why, and modify things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenka
I've noticed that wineskin is producing huge logs (on the order of 10GB) when playing for a couple hours. Is there a way to turn this logging off or make it less verbose so my logs aren't 1.2x the size of the app itself?
I have no idea why the logs were so huge.... but beta3 is made off a pre-release Wineskin RC7, which does not create the logs under normal running... so it should not have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatewayy View Post
I'm downloading Beta3, I hope it has upgrade instructions as I could not find them in Beta2.
Upgrade directions are in there... but its really easy. You open up the old wrapper, and go to drive_c/Program FIles/Cryptic Studios... and you take that whole folder, and move it into the exact same location in the new wrapper... and your done.... besides adjust screen settings if you had changed those before.
Lt. Commander
# 219
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks doh123 for doing this, really superb work!! You might want to take out your username from the client though.

At first it was a little choppy compared to Windows but then I realised that I was using the 9400m in my MBP and not the 9600GT! Super smooth now. I got the graphics smears until I switched AA on. I haven't tried it out yet on my desktop but I couldn't run it smoothly on just one GPU on my ACD anyway.

No AA isn't the end of the world really - especially since I don't think any Cider based games such as Red Alert 2 etc have had working antialiasing options in OSX.

The only thing that detracts from gameplay now are the fonts. Fingers crossed it works out!!

P.S. Cryptic should hire you!!
Lt. Commander
# 220
02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky Deluxe
Thanks doh123 for doing this, really superb work!! You might want to take out your username from the client though.
yeah... forgot to pull it out of the registry this time....

think I'm gonna stick a new one up shortly that fixes retail disc install issues.. no one will have to upgrade it would only be for new users.... and I'll make sure I remember to take my log in out of there, but its not big deal :-)
Closed Thread