Lt. Commander
# 401 Runs on Linux?
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I know Macs switched over to a base Linux with its OSs, will this run on my Linux Mint 7 install under Wine? I'm not even that familiar with Wine but I've so completely had it with Windows I'm willing to try anything. I'll even (wow) buy a Mac if I need to but using Wine it sounds like I may be able to use my Linux install. What a great effort by Doh123 and the community, thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 402
02-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Well, if you want to get technical Mac OS X uses a kernal first developed by NeXT and now by Apple. The userland stuff is BSD... Theres not much Linux (no kernal) in Mac OS X. Well, there is linux programs people modified to install on Mac OS X.... But linux is really talking about the kernal.... which OSX doesn't have.

Mac OS X is part of the big POSIX family. Which Linux is a part of, along with lots and lots of other OSs.... So if you want to say that Macs switched over to anything it would be BSD as they are more BSD like then Linux like... But even that is not precise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX
Sorry for being so nerdy....

I don't think you could use wineskin as its a .app wrapper... also doh has said xe uses xquartz ... So you'll need to rip that out as that only works on macs. So I think its safe to say that you will have to do some heavy modifing to get it to work in a GNU/Linux distro. It might be easier to start with standard wine and modify it to get it to work. I havn't googled it so not sure if somebody already has. But i'm sure you could use wineskin as a template to start from.

Somepeople have used crossover - so you might be able to get a version of that to play.

oh, one person says stock wine works
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=57815&page=25

So that might be the way to go for you.
Lt. Commander
# 403
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal73
I know Macs switched over to a base Linux with its OSs, will this run on my Linux Mint 7 install under Wine? I'm not even that familiar with Wine but I've so completely had it with Windows I'm willing to try anything. I'll even (wow) buy a Mac if I need to but using Wine it sounds like I may be able to use my Linux install. What a great effort by Doh123 and the community, thank you!
I think there were reports over the last few days that we now work with vanilla wine, so you can try that as a starting point.
Lt. Commander
# 404 Works for me!
02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
The wrapper works pretty good for me. One question though, any possibility of getting the Post processing to be able to turn on? The graphics seem a little simple / fixed pipeline.

I've tried both "UseGLSL"="enabled" and "UseGLSL"="disabled" and in both cases there is no option to turn Post processing effects on. It just says "This option is not supported by the current GPU."

Is the glsl shader support in wine not up to par?

Besides that performance is great. I do get strange mouse behavior in windowed mode if my mouse swings out of the window, but that is somewhat expected.

Here are my specs incase someone is keeping track:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 7 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.15f3

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9440
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710F-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
Lt. Commander
# 405
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal73
OSX isn't Linux based.

Nothing I have here will help you run it in Linux

but...

I have tested 1.1.37 and 1.1.38 and both seems to run STO just as good as this patched up version of 1.1.36 in here... no better and no worse... so you should be able to install one made for Mint (or Ubuntu) and use it and run STO.

Using Wine on OSX is a bit more complicated, especially with the whole X11 thing... so I bundle it up like this to make it easy... but you should be able to install Wine and get it running... just winetricks IE7 on it first.... or all you really have to do is add the mshtml stuff in, but its easier to just winetricks on IE7
Lt. Commander
# 406
02-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Update: Everything works great for me now after enabling UserGLSL...but ONLY in space. As soon as I dock anywhere it crashes constantly. I figured this out last night as I docked one character yesterday and it stopped working, so this morning I undocked him and played a bunch of patrol missions fine. As soon as I tried docking at D7 to do that mission I am crash city.

I have an 8800GS card in my mac and am running the beta 4, not sure what else I can do to help, but looks like I am stuck until I can get home to my windows machine tonight and get myself out of D7.

It an odd issue though as I have no problem with any of the patrol Risa missions I did. All those were in space though. Thankfully this was on my alt character and I guess I will wait until tonight to play him further, unless I missed a fix for this in the 40 previous pages of this thread?

Any ideas? Any more specific info you might want/need?

EDIT: Ok I found this earlier in the thread and it worked!! Thanks!
EDIT 2: for like 1 minute then it crashed out again. grr. guess I will be staying out of bases on my mac.
EDIT 3: Last edit, ok it seems like it plays for short periods of time with half resolution in bases. Out in space missions and any actual missions where I beam down it also works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
so you got into the game fully with Multisampling disabled???

the sector space smearing is the same bug as ground smearing when a pop up shows on the screen.. like every time you walk near someone.

then see if it crashes near people....

if you cannot login to your character without it crashing.... at character selection hit ESC, then go to Options, and under video set Half Resolution to On. this is the same as /renderscale 0.5.

this might stop the crashing.

0.5 is ugly, you might wanna up to 0.9 or 1.1 ... anything but 1 or 0 will work.. the higher the better stuff looks, but the tougher it is on your machine.... up past about 3 or 4 you'll crash cuz its jut waaaay too much.... 2 looks really good, if your machine can handle it, most can't.

the special Crossover build is basically identical to mine in how it runs except they don't have Multisampling enabled.... and it has the same exact bugs.... theirs does use their own custom made X server though and I use a build of Xquartz.
Lt. Commander
# 407 OS X Client
02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Does anyone know if the dev. team is working on an OS X client ? Various emulator type applications are annoying and ultimately a debugging nightmare if things don't go right off the hop.
Lt. Commander
# 408
02-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
Clean it up a bit (read: sound) and I might be interested. Right now up unitl this patch. bootcamp STO has worked well.
Yeah, rebooting into windows works great. However, I hate windows... and I hate rebooting .. that's why I stick with UNIX based operating systems --> they work!

/me is hoping for a Native OS X app!
Lt. Commander
# 409
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm trying to install STO from the Collector's Edition DVD, but the install hangs at the first step, namely

DXSETUP.exe /SILENT

I have a 27" iMac, 2.6 GHz i5, Radeon 4850, 4GB RAM, 10.6.2
Lt. Commander
# 410
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74205-NX View Post
I'm trying to install STO from the Collector's Edition DVD, but the install hangs at the first step, namely

DXSETUP.exe /SILENT

I have a 27" iMac, 2.6 GHz i5, Radeon 4850, 4GB RAM, 10.6.2

are you sure its actually hanging? When I test installed from disc, it took well over an hour to install, and it sat in a couple of places for 10 or 15 minutes kind of like it was hung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcanuk View Post
Does anyone know if the dev. team is working on an OS X client ? Various emulator type applications are annoying and ultimately a debugging nightmare if things don't go right off the hop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcanuk View Post
Yeah, rebooting into windows works great. However, I hate windows... and I hate rebooting .. that's why I stick with UNIX based operating systems --> they work!

/me is hoping for a Native OS X app!
It is likely int he future that they will make a port that is Wine or Cider based.... but they will not ever tell anyone that until its common public knowledge. The chances of EVER having an actual native port is practically non-existant since the whole game is based on DirectX, and a Wine/Cider pot would allow them to do it cheaply, and use the same current codebase they use on Windows.

That said, for actual performance, the best way for them to go would be Cider... for one it doesn't rely (much) on anything X11 related, making it very fast... and all they'd have to do is write a Mac compatible Launcher/patcher and let Cider handle the main game... it would be near native, barely being able to tell the difference.

Wine itself is nice, but until it has a quartz driver and is always stuck with X11... its never going to be able to match Cider in performance, and integration to work like a native app.
Closed Thread