Lt. Commander
# 431
02-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_fields View Post
Hey I was just wandering if the graphics support for the game running in mac will get better i'm running it on a 27 inch mac, I spent all last night setting up parallels and the game and then to find that it wont run kinda annoyed me lol, But coming across your alternative was really really good. Thanks, However the graphics do feel quite old, I don't know whether this is just my expectation of the game or because it is running through wine.

Is the anti aliasing going to be fixed in to this mac alternative also ? Thanks agian
Over time, but there are some Wine limitations right now, and I'm not a Wine expert enough to add int he support needed.... I can do simple fixes in Wine code, or work arounds, but whatever its needing for AA is a bit more extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olio View Post
Thanks for your great work!

Could it be possible to have instructions in the first page how do you update your version? Also, is there a way to see which version of beta I'm running? Sorry if there questions are obvious, but I'm a new mac-user

At the moment it's working really well with half-resolution option, even with not-so-good connection, and I'm bit hesitant to update a working product. Got that from the pc-world
how to update, or install from a working Windows install, are both the same set of directions, in the Directions.pdf with the download.... you basically just move the Crytpic Studios folder from one wrapper to the other.

as for the version, if your running with Finder in columns mode, you can see it in the Info pane, or you can right click the app and hit Get Info, and see the version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synnsaer
Just use Bootcamp already, this back door way of doing things is ridiculous you can get win XP or vista for cheap and I can confirm on my 27" iMac this this is smooth and perfect running under steam with Vista Home.

Seems like a lot of work for no reason.
Troll much? Why run a Mac at all, why not just buy a PC then and always run Windows and not ever worry about it? That answer is as bad as just telling people to stop buying Macs and buy a Windows machine.
Lt. Commander
# 432
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the update!
Lt. Commander
# 433
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
How easy is the wrapper to use ? I'd like to try out STO, Is it just click this and drag that file ? or do I need to find a programer to set it up
Lt. Commander
# 434
02-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceghost31
How easy is the wrapper to use ? I'd like to try out STO, Is it just click this and drag that file ? or do I need to find a programer to set it up
Its drag and drop, if you have it installed in a bootcamp partition already.

A read me is included in the download with instructions to get it working.
Lt. Commander
# 435
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceghost31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagaciouszzzz View Post
Its drag and drop, if you have it installed in a bootcamp partition already.

A read me is included in the download with instructions to get it working.
thats the easiest... or you can use the normal setup.exe with the Installer built in.
Lt. Commander
# 436
02-12-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm loving the wrapper. :-D

Do you have any idea what's causing the fonts to mess up in the game? That's pretty much the only thing that detracts from the experience imo.

Is there also anything to stop the mouse from going crazy when you move it out of the game when in windowed mode? I.e. I'm running STO in full screen mode but the wrapper's set to run in a window. If I'm using the mouselook mode in the game and move the mouse out of the wrapper's window my view control goes haywire. Maybe a simple "if mouse goes out of the game area then mouse movement = 0"?

Thanks,

Phil
Lt. Commander
# 437
02-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Just wanted to update and say how great it's working. My only complaint is the messed up font, but that's something I've been able to live with in return for OS X. I love just swiping to the side of the screen and grabbing something off my desktop real quick. Great work. Please keep us posted if you make any improvements!
Lt. Commander
# 438
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I dug through the forums but didn't see anyone else reporting this, so hopefully I'm not duplicating something else.

I'm running on a Macbook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB memory and a GeForce 8600M GT. It's running beautifully, with only one real hitch. It's very, very dark -- space scenes generally mean that I can't see asteroids against the starfield, it's so dark. (Though lights like the windows on my ship show up very well.)

I've tried adjusting my Gamma in system preferences with no help. I've tried the Brightness slider in the Video control panel with no difference. It seems like the game is adjusting the Gamma and making it too dark, reducing contrast (and saturating colors).

Is there something I can do to brighten stuff up a bit?
Lt. Commander
# 439
02-12-2010, 09:59 AM
As a side note, running it in Windows 7 via Bootcamp on this system doesn't have my Gamma/darkness issues. Aside from those darkness issues and the known antialiasing issue, there's very little difference in results between the wrapper and running it native. This is some amazing work.
Lt. Commander
# 440
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I haven't seen a way to get the slider for brightness to work as of yet...

I noticed its dark as well, but turning up my screen brightness has always been enough to see it clearly. I didn't think about the older non LED backlight screen not being nearly as bright.... I'll have to see if I can figure out why the slider doesn't work.
Closed Thread